Lunch - The Mid-Day, Polyphonic Food Blog

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I lived in Chicago, there was a burgeoning Thai community. A Thai mom opened a restaurant called Little Thai Home cafe with about 4 tables. She got on in years and turned things over to the kids

Like others here, lunch is often leftovers - either as is or combined to make something slightly different. Today I took the extra plain lahgman noodles we got with last night's dinner from Dolan Ughy

We decided to go to the local seafood shop for this week's takeout. We packed salads, biked over and picked up a pound of steamed shrimp to have a picnic lunch at a local park.  

Posted Images

For lunch today I made a lovely salad of pink grapefruit segments over baby arugula, with a mound of cottage cheese in the center. I put a few grinds each of black and pink peppercorns over the plates. Hit the spot. Great mix of tastes and textures.

I also had my frequent lunch dish of Greek yogurt with raw oats* and blueberries with homemade cranberry sauce swirled in. It's usually not sweetened, but there's still a little strawberry sauce left from our V-Day cheesecake, so a drizzle of that went in too. As part of my contribution to finishing the beet flan, I plated a little of that alongside my yogurt. Quite pretty.

My husband had the same salad, the last of some chicken kale stew from the freezer, and the rest of the flan. (He also had a few grapes and a couple of cookies.)

*Along the lines of overnight oats, a small spoonful of rolled oats mixed into the yogurt half an hour or so before eating will soften and melt right down into the mix.

• Like 1

This is a pandemic recipe I've had my eye on at several different points. It went up on the Post site last May. Finally made it today for lunch: Spiced Bread Egg in a Hole. It would have come out better if I'd acquired the bread I was planning to use for it instead of using challah, which is what I had. How pandemicky🙃.  It needs a sturdier bread, but it came out well enough I'll be making it again with a more appropriate backdrop.

It was served with an InstantPot beef vegetable soup I put together from the last of some chuck I defrosted yesterday, excess broth and vegetables from last night's beef pot pie, wild rice, and leftover lima beans. The center hole parts from the egg toast made excellent soup croutons. I highly recommend the soup/spiced egg bread combination

I also dolloped a little of the lemon saffron yogurt sauce I had left from artichokes the other night onto my egg. Flavors went together really well.

• Like 2

We had eggs again for lunch today, along with more of the lemon saffron yogurt on top. My husband commented that it looks like hollandaise and, indeed, it does.

I had some prepared kale from an NRG order to work with. It's one of the regular things I've been buying from them for almost a year. I heated the kale slowly in a medium skillet, then cracked the eggs into indentations in the greens, drizzled a little cream over each egg, and covered for a few minutes until the eggs were nicely poached. I sprinkled some grated Parmesan over the kale before starting and a little more before serving and added some crunchy homemade breadcrumbs before serving as well. Really good.

I'm not sure which chef/restaurant of theirs this is from but I like the way they do long-cooked Southern greens (vinegar, hot pepper, vegetable broth). I have made the eggs this way before but these came out especially well. I served my husband's portion over some bulgur. I had mine without and had yogurt with some fruit on the side. We also had the very last of the challah.

• Like 1

My husband made the first Costco trip in four months this morning and we had their rotisserie chicken for lunch, along with tabbouleh I put together from stuff I had. That came out really well. We also had small flattish rolls from the shopping trip, labeled "artisan" but ciabatta-looking.

• Like 1

Today I made salmon chowder with some of the leftover fish from last night, incorporating the last of the fish stock from District Fishwife. (The vegetables: large Yukon Gold potato, celery, carrot, sliced garlic, and yellow onion.) I started early enough to get a consistent small dice on the vegetables. Finished the chowder with some South Mountain Creamery cream.

To accompany, I made cheese toasts with the split ciabatta-esque rolls from Costco. I made a little honey mustard to spread on the bread and added several layers of very thinly sliced Jasper Hill Farm Eligo cheese (we still have a lot), and ran them under the broiler.

It was looking so good, I grabbed a few photos right before we sat down. I don't do well with photo editing, so the colors in these haven't been adjusted. The better composed photo is more washed out. But the one with a more representative color was taken from the wrong angle😖. In any case, lunch.

chowder_toasts.jpg

chowder_toast.jpg

• Like 3

We had a frittata, bread, and salad for lunch. The frittata (below) was the remainder of the variety of sauteed mushrooms I had from making mushroom toasts the other night and the last of some baby arugula, plus some flat leaf parsley to supplement the greenery and grated Parmesan. It got a little overly browned on the edges but was fluffy the rest of the way. Bread was sourdough from a WF order. I had a yogurt fruit salad and my husband had the remainder of last night's dinner salad.

arugula_mrm_frittata.jpg

• Like 1

We have a friend over, so I made Spanish ribs in the Instant Pot.  It's chilly today, so I chopped up the 2 butternut squash that have been sitting on the counter and roasted them with a spice mix that I got from Colonial Williamsburg far too long ago.  The ribs were great, no sauce needed and the squash was the right side for the meal.  Our friend doesn't like leftovers, but I do and there's just enough ribs and squash leftover for 1 more serving.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Katya4me said:

We have a friend over, so I made Spanish ribs in the Instant Pot.

Bookmarking that for when I have ribs. I've successfully made some things from his blog. Squash sounds like a good side.

I made a cream of root vegetable soup for lunch today to use up things that needed to be used (potato, turnip, white carrot, celery, shallot, milk; plus dehydrated onion, bay leaf, nutmeg, kosher salt, and white pepper). I added a little itty bitty poussin neck left from the other night to some water to make some broth before adding the diced vegetables. The milk, which was beginning to sour just enough that I thought it might curdle in coffee but was still otherwise fine, went in to the simmering soup after I removed the bay leaf and neck, and then I whizzed all of it with an immersion blender before serving it garnished with minced parsley. The spicing was dead on, if I do say so myself.

My husband also had a link of leftover cooked kielbasa and a remnant of tamale pie.

• Like 2

Two fried eggs served on top of grilled asparagus, with roasted potatoes on the side. One of the egg yolks broke when it went into the pan, but otherwise, this was a really delicious lunch. 

• Like 2