Earthquake in DC/MD/VA

thistle

I thought Godzilla was stomping on the roof of the house. Only a few things fell over, though, and nothing seems to have broken that I can tell. With a 5.8, I'm thinking the likelihood of noticeable aftershocks might be nontrivial.

I hope everyone else is okay.

Thought #1 was - I must have an unbalanced load of laundry. Thought #2 was - somebody is bombing the District.

Mr. lperry is weathering a hurricane in Haiti, and I got an earthquake. They haven't seen much weather yet (they are on the southern coast), so I'm thinking I win the natural disaster contest for the day.

Thought #1 was - I must have an unbalanced load of laundry. Thought #2 was - somebody is bombing the District.

Mr. lperry is weathering a hurricane in Haiti, and I got an earthquake. They haven't seen much weather yet (they are on the southern coast), so I'm thinking I win the natural disaster contest for the day.

Funny, I was unloading laundry from the dryer on the 3rd floor just as the quake hit. The whole house was swaying and I thought, wow, this feels like LA. As a native of Los Angeles, and someone who experienced the 1971 quake there, where I was actually thrown out of my bed in the early morning hours, only to run into the bathroom and see the water being tossed from the toilet bowl, to run into the living room and see everything crashing down, this wasn't anything, except that it occured in an area where we don't expect these things. So, it was something. My husband is in Richmond, so he definitely wins the disaster contest today. He has sent a message that it was 'scary.'

Visible hairline cracks in my work building in Largo, where there weren't cracks before, but nothing flew off the shelves or walls and no windows appear to be broken, as far as I know. Everybody sent to the Beltway commute at the same time, a la the ice storm last winter. I made it to Colesville in an hour, which is not bad.

In Old Town working, started slow then really got going for 10 seconds or so after I got into a doorway. No damage, but a few file drawers slid open halfway. Another 5 seconds and things would have been falling off shelves, etc. Really nervous about what's up at the house. Can't get hold of my next-door neighbors to have them do a recon for me.

Verdict: Me no likely earthquakes. I am not moving to Cali.

Venting for 2 seconds based on a wonderful, earthquake enhanced (thus thread appropriate!), experience with DC Public works today:

-Looking at a wedding venue around 1:45. Earthquake hits, finish review of venue and leave.

-Realize car has been towed (giant sunflowers blocking the "street cleaning sign"

-Call DC public services only to be informed that "due to the Earthquake, we cannot help you unless you need an ambulence or fire truck"

-Bounce around the district call tree to the "diplomat services" and finally find my car

You would think, that if your back end operations go on hold during an "emergency" like today, you would maybe stop towing until services are back up in running?

I love this city. I hate its "services" :mellow: .

Earthquake ... K Street lawyers mostly useless ... some have regrouped at bars with sidewalk tables for "strategic planning."

In my circles, I call that "liquid leadership".

Which I displayed today by dodging the traffic crazy and dined al fresco at Athena Pallas. Good times.

(athena)

(number eight)

(so say we all)

If I had been inside a building for the earthquake, I imagine it would have been scary. I was walking my dog along the sidewalk of my street, and in retrospect I'm surprised by how completely unscary it was. The sidewalk actually moved under my feet, and I looked up at the building I was next to and all the glass was quivering, and it was over in a few seconds. My dog, who is easily frightened, didn't seem even to notice that anything had happened. I'm glad that apparently and remarkably no one anywhere was hurt.

Was finishing lunch on the front patio at Senart's Oyster House this afternoon when the earth shook.

First, seemed like every chef, owner and others instantly emerged onto the sidewalks of Barracks Row asking "did you feel that?"

Second, having confirmed that it wasn't a building specific thing or a passing truck, everyone turned to android, iphone or blackberry. But no network coverage for AT&T or Verizon for 10 or so minutes following.

Took an hour to drive from Cap Hill to Dupont.

NPR didn't switch from All Things Considered except for a 30 second interruption.

The most dangerous thing about this on Cap Hill and downtown had to be the thousands of people who'd been evacuated and were jamming sidewalks, roadways, escalators and metro stations.

Earthquake ... K Street lawyers mostly useless ... some have regrouped at bars with sidewalk tables for "strategic planning."

Those wusses, lawyers in Alexandria evacuated our buildings, used that time to confer with all the people we needed to talk to in the firm about cases, and then went back in our offices and went back to work. Even the courthouse here did not send home its employees.

Hubby messaged me that DC was just horrid with traffic and jammed metros so I told him to go get a drink.

Our offices shook, but I was just quite glad I was not on the bay bridge or similar high and small bridge, up high in an office building and that our parents in Charlottesville were fine with no damage to their house. They said the noise and shaking was very scary there.