Le Paradou, Penn Quarter - Closed

My husband and I went for one last dinner on Saturday night.

Service was really good, and considering that there were 4 waiters doing everything for a nearly full house, that was remarkable. By everything I mean host stand, bar (which was empty), pouring wine and water, taking orders, delivering food and clearing tables. I guess they're down to a bare-bones staff. We were happy to be greeted by a friendly face in Freddy, whom we had known when he was a waiter at Maestro. I might have thought we were getting special treatment because of that, but all the other tables seemed to have good service, too.

We had the 9-course tasting menu. It was good, and the wine pairings were mainly spot-on. But unlike previous visits, there were no Wows among the food. The amuse of salmon tartare was fresh and tasty, but would have benefitted from a few grains of fleur de sel. The lobster purse was delicious, and everything focused the palate on the sweet lobster meat. The eggshell of lobster flan, white corn ragu and scallop brandade was very tasty, but the scallops didn't have much scallop flavor. Everything was good, but nothing stood out as a life-changing experience.

The tab came to $535 for food and wine, before tax (10%) and tip (20%), so it was an extremely expensive evening of good, even great, but not over the moon, food.