dr.com 2011 Fall Picnic

leleboo

Sunday, October 23. Noon to 6 p.m.

, Alexandria, VA. Site C-002

Ladies and gentlemen,
start your ovens!
:unsure:

Keep your eye on this space for more information, attendance, who's-bringing-what, et cetera.
:mellow:

New members: PLEASE COME TO THE PICNIC! To say "all are welcome" would be gross understatement; the picnic is a great way to meet fellow dr.commers.

If you have any doubts about its awesomeness, check out 1000yregg's photos from the last fall shindig.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am cooking for a small wedding at 1:00. Depending on how it goes, I may be able to come toward the end.

With leftovers, right? :mellow:

I'm in, and it's my weekend with the kids, so they'll be there as well.

Food TBD, but will be coming straight from Hebrew School, so it will either be something cold or something purchased. Will also bring water in a cooler and the usual soccer goals for the kids.

With leftovers, right? :mellow:

Hee hee--I feed that to the staff. I would make something at home for you guys. It may have to be something easy since I have an event the night before also.

I will check out the menu and timing for the party. If I don't have to stick around to cut wedding cake, I can get out in a couple of hours.

I'm in. And, if there is a g-f section and taste test, will be +2.

I can make something gf! I might try to tweak the gf "family pie" I brought last time so it is a bit more crisp. I think a bit less regular all pupose gf flour and a bit of corn flour might help the structure a little bit. Might also make another potato and vegetable parmesan "tart" the one I made the other day was delicious.

(I have been thinking of a freecycle/DR swap at the picnic, though...)

I'm sure that most of us have quite a number of spare gizmos we just plain don't need, but some other foodie could use.

Whaddya think, leleboo? Can this be done without turning the swap table into an "abandon your junk" exercise? What if there was a rule that you take it back with you if it hasn't been claimed by the time you leave?

BTW, I'll be there. In fact, I'm flying back into town because of the picnic. Not sure what I'm bringing yet, but it'll probably include a generator for porcupine's purposes.

So, here's a logistical question for those who are more familiar -

How can I get from downtown Baltimore to the picnic site on a Sunday? Originally I was going to rent a car, but all of the rental places seem to be closed on Sundays, and I don't really want to pay for any more than I need. I am no longer a Zipcar member, so that option is out.

I'm sure that most of us have quite a number of spare gizmos we just plain don't need, but some other foodie could use.

Whaddya think, leleboo? Can this be done without turning the swap table into an "abandon your junk" exercise? What if there was a rule that you take it back with you if it hasn't been claimed by the time you leave?

I think that works perfectly -- if you're leaving and it's still there, it's a "last call or it goes with you" moment. Great idea!

How can I get from downtown Baltimore to the picnic site on a Sunday? Originally I was going to rent a car, but all of the rental places seem to be closed on Sundays, and I don't really want to pay for any more than I need. I am no longer a Zipcar member, so that option is out.

I don't think there's a good way using transportation.

MARC only runs M-F. You could take Amtrak to Union Station, then Metro out to NoVA, and then get a ride from someone to the picnic. No buses run near the park on weekends that I'm aware.

Can you get a cab or light rail to BWI, and rent a car there?

I don't think there's a good way using transportation.

MARC only runs M-F. You could take Amtrak to Union Station, then Metro out to NoVA, and then get a ride from someone to the picnic. No buses run near the park on weekends that I'm aware.

Can you get a cab or light rail to BWI, and rent a car there?

Or, Amtrak to Union Station, Metro to Reagan Natl, and rent a car there.

You can pick up the Fairfax connector from the Huntington Metro stop.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/maps/101m.htm

Marc to Union Station- Metro Red to Yellow line to Huntington- FF Connector

Or, meet up and get a ride B)

Option 1: Order a cake or cupcakes from a company in Baltimore that delivers to Washington and request that they also deliver you, as well.

Option 2: Learn how to break into and hotwire a car, then look for a cheap one that won't have good security- no Mercedes. Make sure you wear gloves... ;)

Or you could hire a towncar... but that is much less exciting.

We are thrilled to be attending this year––our first year at this event!

We hope to put on a smoked salmon clinic at this year's picnic. Just a short talk on how to prep then smoke wild Alaskan salmon. We will bring salmon for BBQ and for smoking.

See you all soon,

I've been thinking about getting independent restaurants to sponsor our picnics for awhile now - maybe this can be the start of a good thing? Maybe instead of fumbling around, trying to figure out which "theme" to highlight (different types of bacon, etc.), we can rally around some of our local restaurants, and give them a chance to have their moment in the sun (or inside the pavilion?) I see no downside at all here, for anybody. I don't think people should have to suffer through advertisements, but I think if we do this tastefully, it can be like the livestock barns at the Montgomery County Fair. Why not?

(And when I say "sponsor," I'm not talking about a $10,000 grant; I'm talking about bringing $100 worth of food or something like that.)

Cheers,

Johnny Dipp

I've been thinking about getting independent restaurants to sponsor our picnics for awhile now - maybe this can be the start of a good thing? Maybe instead of fumbling around, trying to figure out which "theme" to highlight (different types of bacon, etc.), we can rally around some of our local restaurants, and give them a chance to have their moment in the sun (or inside the pavilion?) I see no downside at all here, for anybody. I don't think people should have to suffer through advertisements, but I think if we do this tastefully, it can be like the livestock barns at the Montgomery County Fair. Why not?

Do we need it? Sponsorship would turn me off. Seriously.

IMHO the picnic is and always has been about people. Nobody is chasing the board pros away now, and in fact it's really nice to just chill out with folks like Antonio and Rissa, away from the diner / restauranteur paradigm. Keeping it casual is an ongoing struggle; we ordinary folks already have enough angst about what we're going to bring when we show up amongst the amateurs here who have actual (and in many cases, quite formidable) talent.

Again, IMHO.

Not sure what I'm bringing yet, but it'll probably include a generator for porcupine's purposes.

Don't go to too much trouble - not sure if I'm going or if my idea will work, anyway...

Option 2: Learn how to break into and hotwire a car, then look for a cheap one that won't have good security- no Mercedes.

There are at least two people here who could help you with that... B)

(And when I say "sponsor," I'm not talking about a $10,000 grant; I'm talking about bringing $100 worth of food or something like that.)

You did that for one picnic a while back. It was nice that people gave the food, but I don't personally think it's necessary.

Chiming in to say that our themes and coming up with them is half the fun! I don't mind sponsors, but I'd like to see the picnics continue to be member-driven. It's a celebration of our community. Restauranteurs are welcome and if they want to be magnanimous and bring some goodies, well, I'm happy to oblige. :P

Another vote for a compromise with restaurant guests welcome with concern that a restaurant-driven event may be not such a good idea. My reasons are selfish - we are a vegetarian and a celiac, and are excluded from most events because of these choices/restrictions. The picnic has always had a range and variety of foods that ensures that everyone is welcome. I'd hate to lose that.

I guess my idea of "sponsorship" wasn't so much that there would be neon signs all over the place, but I don't see anything wrong with some understated recognition. And I don't see the format of the picnic changing at all - like Pat said, we've already done this with Antonio and his fried chicken (was that not an "ad" for Commonwealth?) I just think it might be nice if we could have ten of these things going on at once, each restaurant contributing a single dish - it sort of keeps with the spirit of diners and restaurateurs being side-by-side, as opposed to one excluding the other. Wouldn't you rather have Masa 14 listed as an official sponsor, and have Antonio bring 100 pieces of chicken (or whatever) as opposed to just 20? Hell, I would. And I'd like Sou'Wester to bring cornbread, and Kaz to bring maki, etc. All mixed together, I think it would be awesome. That said, I'm not going to make any type of decision like this unilaterally. Also don't forget, these restaurants have many employees as members here anyway (whoever would come would have to join), so it's not like we're being carpetbagged. i want to emphasize: I don't with to fix anything that isn't broken - these picnics are lovely, but you know, they aren't as large as they used to be. This could draw in additional members, and they could become huge events, and I say, the more the merrier. Why not?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to get excited about the picnic!

Here's a quick list of RSVPs and planned contributions:

1000yregg

22209 +1

Banco +3

Barbara, DameEdna - pumpkin cheesecake

ColdCountrySalmon- salmon for bbq and smoking

DanielK +2 - TBD, water, soccer goals

DCDeb

flygirl

goldenticket +1

Heather +1

hm212 +2 - dark chocolate fudge brownies

Ilaine

John William G +1

ktmoomau +1 - gluten free family pie and/or potato/veg/parmesan tart

legant +2?

leleboo

lperry +1?

monavano +1 - bigos (Polish Hunter Stew), plates, bowls, utensils, etc

Monica - chocolate cake

Nena

ol_ironstomach

Pat - cookies and/or vegetable salad

Rhone1998 +1.5

Scott Johnston, cucas87 +1 - deviled eggs, wine, dessert, salad

TheMatt

thistle - camp stove, smoked meat, black-eyed pea salad, dessert, drinks

Waitman

weezy - lemon bars

If I missed you, you haven't responded, or you've decided/changed what you're bringing, please reply on the thread or send me a PM.

In addition to all the great food and drink, there are two fun activities that will be going on:

- A smoked salmon clinic presented by Cold Country Salmon (Thanks for agreeing to do this!)

- A kitchen/cooking gizmo swap. Bring your unwanted/unused gadgets to trade!

As always, new members are encouraged and welcome to attend, as are long-time members who haven't made it to a picnic, along with everyone else who may have been to all, one, or a few picnics. Come on out and join us!

Sunday, October 23. Noon to 6 p.m.

Fort Hunt Park, Alexandria, VA. Site C-002.

I have to withdraw my RSVP - slight change of plans with the travel, so I won't be able to make it after all. Boo.

I will be in DC the following weekend, though, so perhaps I will post something in whims and try to meet up with some folks that way!

Hope y'all have fun...

I have to withdraw my RSVP - slight change of plans with the travel, so I won't be able to make it after all. Boo.

I will be in DC the following weekend, though, so perhaps I will post something in whims and try to meet up with some folks that way!

Hope y'all have fun...

That's too bad - do 'whim' if you have time!