dr.com 2011 Fall Picnic

leleboo

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starting to get excited about the picnic!

Here's a quick list of RSVPs and planned contributions:

If I missed you, you haven't responded, or you've decided/changed what you're bringing, please reply on the thread or send me a PM.

Add thistle and her camp stove/grill apparatus!!

In addition to all the great food and drink, there are two fun activities that will be going on:

- A smoked salmon clinic presented by Cold Country Salmon (Thanks for agreeing to do this!)

- A kitchen/cooking gizmo swap. Bring your unwanted/unused gadgets to trade!

As always, new members are encouraged and welcome to attend, as are long-time members who haven't made it to a picnic, along with everyone else who may have been to all, one, or a few picnics. Come on out an join us!

Sunday, October 23. Noon to 6 p.m.

Fort Hunt Park, Alexandria, VA. Site C-002.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In keeping w/past picnic memes, I'm thinking about some sort of smoked meat (probably pork-I have some venison, but don't want to experiment on folks), a vegan salad (blackeyed peas), a cooler w/ beer, seltzer, & some kidsafe drinks, & some sort of dessert-poundcake, if I'm lazy, but I'm intrigued by a GF gingerbread. Since we live quite close to the picnic spot, I'll bring a camp stove w/grill, canopy, side tables, & a water cooler, if I have room. Not sure who's coming with me, but I told E she could skip fall ball...looking forward to the picnic...

I guess my idea of "sponsorship" wasn't so much that there would be neon signs all over the place, but I don't see anything wrong with some understated recognition. And I don't see the format of the picnic changing at all - like Pat said, we've already done this with Antonio and his fried chicken (was that not an "ad" for Commonwealth?) I just think it might be nice if we could have ten of these things going on at once, each restaurant contributing a single dish - it sort of keeps with the spirit of diners and restaurateurs being side-by-side, as opposed to one excluding the other. Wouldn't you rather have Masa 14 listed as an official sponsor, and have Antonio bring 100 pieces of chicken (or whatever) as opposed to just 20? Hell, I would. And I'd like Sou'Wester to bring cornbread, and Kaz to bring maki, etc. All mixed together, I think it would be awesome. That said, I'm not going to make any type of decision like this unilaterally. Also don't forget, these restaurants have many employees as members here anyway (whoever would come would have to join), so it's not like we're being carpetbagged. i want to emphasize: I don't with to fix anything that isn't broken - these picnics are lovely, but you know, they aren't as large as they used to be. This could draw in additional members, and they could become huge events, and I say, the more the merrier. Why not?

I'm late to this because it wasn't until today that I thought I might be able to make it, but I think this is a terrible idea and far from the roots of these events -- people who like food showing that we can not only eat it and complain about it on line, but cook it, too. In a world where any successful DIY experience is immediately branded, marketed and diminished, it would be a shame to turn this into another commercial enterprise. Taste of DC is this weekend, if folks want a sponsored experience.

Having not been to one of these in too long, I'm far more interested in making peace with all the people I've pissed off over the year, seeing a few folks I haven't seen in a while, and eating whatever thistle, weezy and Heather bring, than I am eating Kaz's maki (which, after all, I can get six days a week).

It's great when Antonio and others show up as "family" (sorry, we Deadheads talk that way, we're not really that sappy). As "sponsors," they're just a brand.

Thinking about bringing a few boxes of old cookbooks to give away, including a box or two of old Gourmet magazines.

Or should I just donate to the local library book sale?

Will also bring food. Gluten free, lactose free, low sodium. Maybe sugar conscious, as well, which probably means meat. Pot roast, beef stew, beef stir fry?

I have offered in the past to buy a whole pig if someone else (Mr. Ironstomach?) will roast it.

Thinking about bringing a few boxes of old cookbooks to give away, including a box or two of old Gourmet magazines.

Or should I just donate to the local library book sale?

Will also bring food. Gluten free, lactose free, low sodium. Maybe sugar conscious, as well, which probably means meat. Pot roast, beef stew, beef stir fry?

I have offered in the past to buy a whole pig if someone else (Mr. Ironstomach?) will roast it.

Please bring the cookbooks. (Does anyone else want to do this?) We can have a separate little corner for a cookbook giveaway / swap? (Maybe people that bring cookbooks, should have first dibs on others giving them away?)

I'll help you pay for the whole pig if someone wants to roast it. Likewise, transportation, logistics, etc. - just say what you need.

Please bring the cookbooks. (Does anyone else want to do this?) We can have a separate little corner for a cookbook giveaway / swap? (Maybe people that bring cookbooks, should have first dibs on others giving them away?)

This is already planned; read the whole thread. :)

I'll help you pay for the whole pig if someone wants to roast it. Likewise, transportation, logistics, etc. - just say what you need.

I'm not aware of anyone with a caja china except agm and nqd, and they can't make this date, so I'm not sure we can do a whole pig. Does anyone else have the apparatus? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

We did this last fall, and I thought it went well. I'll bring a few books.

Baking is out, as I will be working until midnight the day before. I'll look at everyone else's contributions and bring whatever we're missing.

I wish I had a cooker that could cook onsite a whole pig, but what I have is a Weber Smoky Mt. I can cook 2 B. Butts/picnic hams & maybe 4-5 racks of ribs, but it's a long cook-the picnic site is only open 10-6. I can bring the meat, mostly unsauced, & let folks finish it to their taste. I did some ribs this weekend, w/ Pork Barrel BBQ sauce (a local company, gluten free) & if I did a simple s/p rub on the meat, it would be easy to customize.

I have to say, I agree on the issue of no sponsorship- although we've had the pleasure of Antonio & his fried chicken join us at past picnics, I think it's been out of love, not money-the joy of this picnic is folks getting together to share food- not necessarily restaurant food, but food we love to cook...

I will try to come, dependent on being able either to drive or get a ride. Maybe I'll make/bring some bbq sauce. It would be interesting to have a taste-off with Pork Barrel's sauce, mentioned above. They make a mustard-based sauce, but I think mine tastes a whole lot better than theirs.

I wish I had a cooker that could cook onsite a whole pig, but what I have is a Weber Smoky Mt. I can cook 2 B. Butts/picnic hams & maybe 4-5 racks of ribs, but it's a long cook-the picnic site is only open 10-6. I can bring the meat, mostly unsauced, & let folks finish it to their taste. I did some ribs this weekend, w/ Pork Barrel BBQ sauce (a local company, gluten free) & if I did a simple s/p rub on the meat, it would be easy to customize.

Unrelated to the picnic, but I'm usually laughing every time I pass by the Pork Barrel BBQ restaurant site because there are inevitably several grown men with faces pressed up to the glass like little kids. Last night they installed a huge beer tap, and there was a guy outside gesticulating madly and practically in tears. Mr. lperry is among those who are waiting less than patiently for the opening.

Unrelated to the picnic, but I'm usually laughing every time I pass by the Pork Barrel BBQ restaurant site because there are inevitably several grown men with faces pressed up to the glass like little kids. Last night they installed a huge beer tap, and there was a guy outside gesticulating madly and practically in tears. Mr. lperry is among those who are waiting less than patiently for the opening.

I was trying to find vendors for my arts event last weekend and was at Marianna's Macarons at the Del Ray Market to inspect some goods (which were very good). I too was faced pressed, I was really wishing they were open as I would have loved to have stopped in. So excited about it.

We hope to put on a smoked salmon clinic at this year's picnic. Just a short talk on how to prep then smoke wild Alaskan salmon. We will bring salmon for BBQ and for smoking.

Do you by chance have an idea of approximately when the clinic will take place? We'd love to catch it, but unfortunately can only stay for the first couple of hours. (We may try to make the Arlington pot-luck class this weekend if it seems like we might miss the picnic one) Thank you for doing this!

1000yregg

22209 +1

Banco +3

Barbara, DameEdna - pumpkin cheesecake

ColdCountrySalmon- salmon for bbq and smoking

DanielK +2 - Mediterranean Orzo Salad, water, soccer goals

darkstar965 +1(?) - TBD

flygirl

goldenticket +1 - cranberry/wild rice cookies (GF), TBD

Heather +1 - baked beans, brown or Yankee cornbread

hm212 +2 - dark chocolate fudge brownies

Ilaine

John William G +1 - jalapeno cheese squares, homemade Italian bread, maybe tapenade

JPW +3

kirite

ktmoomau +1 - gluten free dessert and potato/veg/parmesan tart

laniloa - dessert

legant +2?

leleboo

lperry

monavano +1 - bigos (Polish Hunter Stew), plates, bowls, utensils, etc

Monica - chocolate cake

Nena

ol_ironstomach

Pat +1 - cookies and black-eyed pea salad

Rhone1998 +1.5

rkduggins +1? - Autumnal salad(s)

Scott Johnston, cucas87 +1 - deviled eggs, wine, dessert, salad

Skipper10

sphere777 - sesame noodles

TheMatt +2 - snickerdoodle bar cookies

thistle - camp stove, smoked meat, black-eyed pea salad, dessert, drinks

Waitman

weezy - lemon bars

zoramargolis - award-winning bbq sauce (maybe)

Bring cookbooks and kitchen gadgets to swap!

Hi everyone, I'm one of TheMatt's plus-twos. I'm excited to join the group. I'm bringing...uh...something. It may or may not be dessert-ish.

I have a question. I've never been to this park before, and I'm bringing a friend who uses a wheelchair. Is the park (or at least the site) accessible?

I checked Recreation.gov and it says Area C-2 has an ADA-compliant picnic table and there's a gravel loading path and (I think) marked spaces. How chair-friendly that path is, I'm not sure.

I'll try to stop by this weekend to make sure.

Just going from memory, I can't imagine this site isn't wheelchair-friendly. My guess is that at most, you might need help getting it over a curb or a grassy area, but the grounds are completely flat and you'll have help at the ready.

(Does anyone remember if the pavilion itself is a raised area? There might be a step or two to keep it off the ground in case of rain, but I don't recall much of anything other than flatness.)

Goldenticket nailed it -- you can drive all the way up to the pavilion, and there are not any steps onto it. TheMatt can confirm this weekend, but it should be completely chair-accessible, unless my memory utterly fails me (which it rarely does). :)

There is a drive up to the back of the pavilion where you can pull up (temporarily) which may make things a little easier/more accessible for you. Here's a link to the park website; we'll be at site C-002. The web page says there is ADA access within the facilities.

Happy to have you joining us!

Thank you, goldenticket, and everyone else! We should be able to manage without help, from what you're saying.

One week out and the extended forecast promises a beautiful, crisp fall day for next Sunday! It's not (and never) too late to join us for the picnic. Post here or PM me if you'd like.

If you've already said you're coming and know what you're bringing, post or PM and we'll get the list updated so we can see where there might be holes in certain categories.

Just a reminder that gourmet cooking skills are not a requirement to attend the picnic :P

We are fortunate to have many great cooks as part of this community, but culinary contributions of all types are welcome and appreciated!

Bring a favorite salad, dessert, main dish, or appetizer, beer or wine, soda, water, or other non-alcoholic beverages. Stop by your favorite bakery, deli, cheese shop, prepared food counter and bring something to share!

It's not too late to join us for what promises to be a fun day on Sunday! You don't have to post here - just shoot me a PM so we have a rough idea of numbers - or show up with something to share.

(We do ask that you be a registered member of the site, but that only takes a minute and it will give you full access to the dining guide!)

Just found out I will be able to make this. Possibly +1 but won't know that until the last minute. May bring a cheese tray or something even less impressive like water, plates or whatever. Or maybe I'll do what Heather is doing: look for gaps at last minute and try to fill them. I'd just do that much, much less well but still enthusiastically. :D Really looking forward to it!

It looks like I will be -1 for this picnic. If the GFers want anything in particular, I'm happy to bake. Otherwise I'll probably go with a veggie or grain salad.

Ooooh please bake something GF... maybe one of the breads you made on the thread???? Is that asking too much :) They looked so pretty.

I think I will make BOTH GF family pie (which really isn't a pie more like cobbler) or this GF cake I just made last weekend which turned out really well. AND the potato tart, although may not be squash, depends on what looks good at the store, as my fridge is empty, empty, empty. Although I had thought about making lamb chili, so if anyone votes for that over the tart I am happy to switch it up.

Ooooh please bake something GF... maybe one of the breads you made on the thread???? Is that asking too much :) They looked so pretty.

I think I will make BOTH GF family pie (which really isn't a pie more like cobbler) or this GF cake I just made last weekend which turned out really well. AND the potato tart, although may not be squash, depends on what looks good at the store, as my fridge is empty, empty, empty. Although I had thought about making lamb chili, so if anyone votes for that over the tart I am happy to switch it up.

Huh. I wonder if my snickerdoodle bars would work GF? Of the ingredients, I can only see flour and vanilla possibly having gluten. Penzey's says their vanilla extract is gluten-free, so I'd need some GF flour and xanthan gum, I guess...

Huh. I wonder if my snickerdoodle bars would work GF? Of the ingredients, I can only see flour and vanilla possibly having gluten. Penzey's says their vanilla extract is gluten-free, so I'd need some GF flour and xanthan gum, I guess...

Depends a bit on the flour you need, if just normal flour, you can All purpose GF flour. For the two cakes I made I used 3/4 of all purpose and 1/4 gf cornmeal because I needed some texture, but I have used just gf all purpose King Arthur with good results.

I won't be able to go after all. I have to cut cake so it would be too late for me to make it down to the park. Hopefully, I can make it in the spring.

Have a wonderful time. So far, the weather forecast is for a sunny, slightly chilly low 60's.

Most cookies work out just fine as long as you substitute by weight. I use 125 grams of GF flour per cup of AP flour and have not yet had a failure with an existing recipe. Experiments are another story...

I'll put in a vote for lamb chili - 1) because it sounds great and 2) because we're a little short on entree-type items!

(the tart sounds delicious, too, so either will be a wonderful addition)

Just a reminder: Please note any dishes with ingredients that may be of concern (things like nuts, soy, onions, pork, dairy), as well as if they are vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, etc. Labels will be provided. Thanks!

Here's the latest list:

1000yregg

22209 +1

Banco +3

Barbara, DameEdna - pumpkin cheesecake

ColdCountrySalmon- salmon for bbq and smoking

DanielK +2 - Mediterranean Orzo Salad, water, soccer goals

darkstar965 +1(?) - TBD

flygirl

goldenticket +1 - cranberry/wild rice cookies (GF), TBD

Heather +1 - baked beans, brown or Yankee cornbread

hm212 +2 - dark chocolate fudge brownies

Ilaine

John William G +1 - jalapeno cheese squares, homemade Italian bread, maybe tapenade

JPW +3

kirite

ktmoomau +1 - gluten free cake and lamb chili

laniloa - dessert

legant +2?

leleboo

lperry

monavano +1 - bigos (Polish Hunter Stew), plates, bowls, utensils, etc

Monica - chocolate cake

Nena - wings

ol_ironstomach

Pat +1 - cookies and black-eyed pea salad

Rhone1998 +1.5

rkduggins +1? - Autumnal salad(s)

Scott Johnston, cucas87 +1 - deviled eggs, wine, dessert, salad

Skipper10 - stuffed cabbage, bread (maybe), cooler and ice

sphere777 - sesame noodles

TheMatt +2 - snickerdoodle bar cookies

thistle - camp stove, smoked meat, black-eyed pea salad, dessert, drinks

Waitman

weezy - lemon bars

zoramargolis - award-winning bbq sauce (maybe)

Bring cookbooks and kitchen gadgets to swap!

I know I am super-late on this one, but I would love to come. And since my husband, Kamau has FINALLY moved home from living in Florida, he will come too. Yay!!! :D

WIth regard to what we will bring, I am not sure yet. I want to bake something, but I also want to contribute to the entrees since we don't have very many. I'll continue to consult the list and I'll choose based on that.

70/30 that I'll make it on Sunday. I've got bronchitis and am hoping that with rest, fluids and various meds, my lungs will feel good enough to make it. Right now exertion and the out of doors is not good. Fingers crossed because I'm stocked up and ready to make a big batch of bigos B)

eta: oops, should have said 30/70.

Unfortunately, my odds are the opposite of monavano's -- I have an appointment at 1 on Capitol Hill and around 2-2:30 in Columbia Heights, and don't know that I'm going to be able to swing by Fort Hunt Park on either end. :( I'm still going to try, because this will be my final dr.com picnic living in DC. Fingers crossed that I'll get to see everyone!

Also, I have to give a huge THANK YOU to goldenticket -- she really got this picnic off the ground -- please, everyone raise a glass to her on Sunday!