Dawson's Market in Rockville Town Square

DanielK

Press release from Federal Realty, scheduled for Spring 2012.

Anyone familiar with Ellwood Thompson's in Richmond? Is this something to be excited about?

On the surface, a market that "will work directly with local farmers and be a leading source of healthy and local foods, while supporting the local community through its fiscal and in-kind donations, sustainable business choices, animal welfare and environmental consciousness" sounds like a good fit for Rockville/MoCo.

On the surface, a market that "will work directly with local farmers and be a leading source of healthy and local foods, while supporting the local community through its fiscal and in-kind donations, sustainable business choices, animal welfare and environmental consciousness" sounds like a good fit for Rockville/MoCo.

It also sounds like marketing boilerplate, what with all the buzzwords. Yeah, I'm cynical. Hope I'm wrong, too.

I'm not familiar with the Richmond store but I think this move gives the best chance for success.

- The place is new and unique (in name) to the area.

- But it isn't new - they have some experience with the Richmond location, this won't be a total experiment.

- It is NOT yet another Giant.

Yes, the cynic might say that the buzzwords might simply be buzzwords. But I'll add another layer of cynicism - does any place purely live up to that buzzword promise? I mean, is the rubber in the cashier's conveyor belt locally produced? Is the water they use to wash down counters 'organic'? Maybe these are rediculous examples, but my yardstick will be an honest effort to hit those buzzwords wherever possible. Better yet...an effort beyond what the average grovery store would do. I also suspect that they'll need to have some things that would disappoint the cynic, as they'll have demand from neighborhood buyers who don't want to trek a few miles to the next closest grocery store.

I'm Ok with that. And I think this is a HUGE step in the right direction for RTC.