Restaurants with WiFi

I'll bet the phone and cable companies love this.  The city is using taxpayer money to provide a no-charge servicce for its citizens that the phone and cable companies charge for.  There is a debate going on at the federal level over this.

For more on the wifi debate check out how Philadelphia is also hoping to go wireless city-wide in the near future. Right now many areas in Center City are already wireless.

I've got some more.

Pharmacy Bar

(Afterwards: Go to Bourbon, eat tots, drink Circus Boy and watch Family Guy or whatev at bar)

Guarapo (Courthouse)

Eleventh Street Lounge (Clarendon)

At Chi Cha you get good signal from Health Bar [they advertise that]

Yeah, the web site says that the South Dupont Cosi (right @ metro) has free wireless; it doesn't, I know from a few frustrating visits. Any other spots? I may just give up and go to Politics & Prose post-errands.

Here are a couple of websites that can help you locate wifi:
JiWire.com - Allows you to search via country, city etc. and by categories such as libraries.
Anchorfree.com/ Allows you to search via country, city etc. and by categories such as libraries for wireless hotspots.

In the Annapolis area:

49 West Cafe
49 West Street
Annapolis , MD 21401
410-626-9796

City Dock Cafe
71 Maryland Ave, Annapolis, MD 21401

Alchemy Tea & Trading Co.
92 Maryland Avenue
Annapolis MD 21401
410-216-7001

Hard Bean Coffee and Book Sellers
36 Market Space
City Dock
Annapolis MD 21401
410-263-8770

Muddy Paw Coffee Bar
130 Hillsmere Drive
Annapolis MD 21403

Armadillo's
132 Dock Street
Annapolis MD 21401
410-280-0028

Corky's Hard Bean Café
562B Ritchie Highway
Severna Park , MD 21146
410-518-6077

Garry's Grill
553 Baltimore Annapolis # A
Severna Park , MD 21146
(410) 544-0499

The Big Bean
558 B & A Blvd.
Severna Park , MD 21146
410-384-7744

Just tried Mayorga on a strip of Silver Spring that sort of reminds me of New Haven. None of the Boca Raton/Pleasantville development that governs spaces behind the AFI. A bit grungy vs. gritty with more people rushing by in their cars, heading anyplace but, than staying.

Not my cup of tea. Coffee warm vs. hot and rather mediocre. Choices of accompanying sweets not very appealing.

Spacious, yes, with lots of different kinds of couches, chairs, tables and degrees of light. Plenty of people working just fine on their laptops.

And since the music was actually quite decent, I thought I could, too.

Only, the management decided to teach its staff, just then, how to use the karaoke [spellcheck accepts that, but not "grungy"??] machine two tables behind me. Dueling scores. Sort of like being in the Cookbook Section at Kramerbooks.

I know I've said this before, but I just don't understand the need to live with a soundtrack.

I'm looking for a Dogme95 type of place to go when I'd prefer not to work with WiFi in solitude. Well, with less stark, harsh reality; more warmth. The public library in Bethesda is great but you can't nibble or sip liquids that stain.

I'm thinking Parisian café when expatriates didn't have Edith Piaf piped overhead.

Any local discoveries you'd care to divulge?

Peregrine Espresso here on the Hill is great. I don't know that it's close enough to be worth the trek (given the lack of parking, to be sure, although it's right at the Eastern Market metro) but a friend who lived with me for the summer worked there often, and she cannot abide overweening soundtracks or obnoxious crowds. Or bad coffee.

Just tried Mayorga on a strip of Silver Spring that sort of reminds me of New Haven. None of the Boca Raton/Pleasantville development that governs spaces behind the AFI. A bit grungy vs. gritty with more people rushing by in their cars, heading anyplace but, than staying.

Not my cup of tea. Coffee warm vs. hot and rather mediocre. Choices of accompanying sweets not very appealing.

<snip>

I'm looking for a Dogme95 type of place to go when I'd prefer not to work with WiFi in solitude. Well, with less stark, harsh reality; more warmth.

Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden in Dogme 95 - so no Parisian café for you. Natural light OK and Edith Piaf only if she is actually there singing.

I've had similar poor experiences [both food/drink and vibe] at Mayorga. From time to time, the tall tables by the windows were OK, but too random to be dependable. The location is much less accessible without the huge lot out back although I recently parked in the garage at the end of their alley for a peaceful, broiled Rockfish lunch at Crisfield's.

Pretty much the core of downtown Silver Spring between Wayne Avenue and Colesville Road from 2nd Avenue to Cedar Street is covered by free WiFi. So, Panera [in the way, way back] across from RTC is a good place. To a lesser extent, I'd look to the Boca Raton downtown places like Lebanese Taverna, Moby Dick, Baja Fresh or the Wine/Sandwich bar behind it. When I'm in downtown SS, it's usually a luncheon escape from the office so, WiFi-wise, YMMV. FAQ: http://www.silverspr...fi.com/faq.html

ETA: It's too bad Max's in Wheaton doesn't have WiFi

West End update: Both Ris and Circle Bistro have WiFi available. Circle Bistro wasn't sure if it was just for hotel guests or not; anyone know? If not I have to investigate, as we often have people staying nearby for meetings gather there for casual get-togethers, and that'd be good information to have.