Jewel of India, Hillandale Shopping Center

Has anyone been...apparently it is new(ish) and didn't find a thread.

Kliman has placed it on his weekly online chat "Where I'm Eating Now" list:

Jewel of India, Silver Spring

For anyone whose palate has been numbed by too many tepid meals at the neighborhood curry joint, this two-month-old restaurant in White Oak's Hillandale Shopping Center is the antidote. The gravies are wonderfully complex -- rich, robustly spiced, and with a depth that lingers long after the last bite. Superb versions of dal, malai kofta and bhindi masala. All in a subtly stylish setting where you can also get a pineapple caipirinha.

Kliman has placed it on his weekly online chat "Where I'm Eating Now" list:

Jewel of India, Silver Spring

For anyone whose palate has been numbed by too many tepid meals at the neighborhood curry joint, this two-month-old restaurant in White Oak's Hillandale Shopping Center is the antidote.

Not quite. It's in Hillandale in the Hillandale shopping center. This is not in White Oak at all. White Oak has the White Oak shopping center. Different towns along New Hampshire Avenue, different shopping centers.

I would like to try this out! I live north of the Hillandale and White Oak communities in Colesville, so I could pick up on the way home!

Not quite. It's in Hillandale in the Hillandale shopping center. This is not in White Oak at all. White Oak has the White Oak shopping center. Different towns along New Hampshire Avenue, different shopping centers.

I would like to try this out! I live north of the Hillandale and White Oak communities in Colesville, so I could pick up on the way home!

Blame Todd! cool.gif

We went {and ran into Janet from Hollywood east with on her of kids and his GF, he used to be a toddler when we first met him!} Very nice vege curries, my Tandoori platter was not very good at all. Definitely going back to explore more. Will not be ordering the Tandoori part of the menu as Kabob n Kahari or the one in downtown Silver Spring are far better. But if we skipped the Tandoor and addedon appetizer, it would have been enough for two. Interesting if sweet sounding cocktails but I needed a beer.

Crazy good dal and two of the veggie curries {a potato thing and something else... I was tired as heck that night! The saag paneer was not to my taste, a bit bland saag. the paneer rocked. Janet reported the Palak Chat was incredible.

Somehow this thread escaped me in September but I lived in Hillandale for 20 years. The Chateau on Mt. Pisgah road. (That's "Chateau" as in rental high rise, not an iconic palatial retreat...) Hillandale is not part of White Oak.

I must admit to wondering about the location of this restaurant. Back then (yes, a long time ago) the Hillandale shopping center had a decent Chinese restaurant ("Grand China?") but not a lot of anything else. In fact it was a rarity to find even middling anything in the immediate area. But other than decent "New York style" pizza at Sammy's Pizza Villa there wasn't much in White Oak either.

I must admit to wondering about the location of this restaurant. Back then (yes, a long time ago) the Hillandale shopping center had a decent Chinese restaurant ("Grand China?") but not a lot of anything else.

Yes, Grand China. And it really wasn't very good, I promise it wasn't, though my parents liked it (they put it on a par with Bo Shan in Burtonsville).

I love that my parents, every Friday night for as long as I can remember as a child, got a babysitter (dear old Nang Schwartz who lived on Hollywood Avenue and was my sitter even when I was in nursery school (I remember now that I'm typing this the first time I ever "walked a mile" - I was a little kid, and we walked around our living room - kitchen - dining room trio of rooms for perhaps 100 laps, and she told me it was a mile - I was positively thrilled)), and went out to dinner (hell, for all I know, they were going to swing clubs, but they came back with stories of Leone's, Capri (where I went for my 12th birthday and got spaghetti in butter sauce, thinking it was an extremely special dish), Burn Brae Dinner Theater, The Luau Hut, and "The Villa Rosa" (and I can hear my beloved father saying that in his gentle (but imposing) baritone voice) like they were exotic and far-away culinary destinations - and to this day, in my mind, they are special, even though they were really just crummy restaurants a few miles away from home). I got them turned onto Pho 75 in the early 1990s, though, and boy did they love it (we went all the time, and were often the only non-Vietnamese people in the restaurant). Good times. Happy memories. Sad words to type because I miss them both so much. God they were awesome parents. You know what? I literally have tears in my eyes right now.

When i heard this place had an indo chinese menu, i rushed over. Sadly i was dissapointed. Though there is in fact a separate indo-chinese menu, it has all of 9-10 items on it, and the actual variety was even smaller as many of the items were versions of each other (i.e, vegetable manchurian and chicken manchurian, chili paneer and chili chicken). there were also no noodles. We ordered the vegetable manchurian, which was fine, but didn't seem much better than the frozen version you can buy at indian stores or even sometimes whole foods. we also had the paneer makhani, which was pretty bland, and appeared to be made with the overly compressed paneer you can buy frozen in stores rather than the softer version. Though we were asked at least 4 separate times if our meal was ok, the questioners were in such a rush there was barely time to answer, and certainly not enough time to give an honest answer, and no one noticed that neither of our dishes was even half eaten. The decor is nice, which made the lackluster food all the more disapointing, i really wanted to like this place, but for now, i'll definitely stick to woodlands.