Chinon

thetrain

I've tried two before (I don't remember the names - but I had one at La Chaumiere and one at Eola) and really enjoyed them - but I don't know where to find them now that its getting to be red win season again. I checked total wine a while ago and they had none. Any retail or restaurant sightings or advice as to which ones to try appreciated.

I've tried two before (I don't remember the names - but I had one at La Chaumiere and one at Eola) and really enjoyed them - but I don't know where to find them now that its getting to be red win season again. I checked total wine a while ago and they had none. Any retail or restaurant sightings or advice as to which ones to try appreciated.

Once you've had good Chinon, you'll never want another Cab Franc (Cheval Blanc aside). The producer Charles Joguet made the earliest inroads from Chinon into the U.S. (thanks to Kermit Lynch, who still imports it) - I used to drink them all the time because the top crus were under $20; not so much of late, but I still don't remember ever having a bad one.

I can't remember which Chinons are represented by our top local importers, but what better way to honor Joe Dressner than to call around the major retailers and ask if they carry Bernard Baudry (from Dressner's portfolio) - it's a great wine.