Turkey Hill Ice Cream

DonRocks

I'm not on board the Turkey Hill train. From everything I've seen, the ingredients are garbage (click) although I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Not everyone cares about ingredients in ice cream but, if you do, Turkey Hill probably isn't the best option per the below from their website which explains, in the manufacturer's own words, the ingredients at Rocks' link above:

Stabilizers and emulsifiers are ingredients which capture the water in our ice cream and frozen yogurt and prevent it from forming ice crystals after the product is deep frozen and stored. Carrageenan, cellulose gum or gel, and guar gum are vegetable gums taken from plants. Malto-dextrin is a small particle made from corn.

Mono and diglycerides are emulsifiers which facilitate mixing during the manufacturing process. These emulsifiers are derived from vegetable oils.

We add these ingredients to help create and preserve our frozen desserts. They are important because of the body and texture they create in the frozen desserts.

Sadly, it should say "They are important because..." we prioritize revenue maximization over quality and purity. In Turkey Hill's defense, that's just the sad truth behind most frozen desserts available in grocers' freezers or at retail in shops today.

First, don't read the ingredients of ice cream & try to justify it, it's different degrees of terribleness, unless you make it yourself. Just enjoy it for what it is (mindset of an alcoholic/drug addict), unless it makes up the majority of your kids' diet, it won't kill them (ok, mine are still young & have eaten tons of ice cream, in every setting)....plenty of other things to worry about....

Don, I was there at the beginning. I knew the Frey family when I was growing up in Lancaster, and there was no finer ice cream other than the home made Amish ice cream you would get at the side of the road when they hold a chicken barbecue. When Kroger bought them out in the '80s, the world changed. Turkey Hill is no longer Turkey Hill. It is Kroger.

I just saw a Turkey Hill ice cream "simple is best" ad on the NBA finals, and want to reiterate how much these ingredients *suck*:

Turkey Hill DairyVanilla Bean. Our original vanilla ice cream dusted with vanilla bean specks. Ingredients: MILK, CREAM, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, WHEY, NONFAT MILK, CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM,VANILLA, MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, CARRAGEENAN, VANILLA BEAN.

Liars. Bunch of liars. Stop lying to the American public through deceptive advertising.