Two weeks in Baltimore

I will be in Baltimore for work from October 16-28 (with the exception of October 21-23, when I'm taking a side trip to NYC). I have looked at the Baltimore Dining Guide here, and a couple of local blogs/newspapers, but the problem is that I am unfamiliar with the layout of the city and its level of pedestrian friendliness. I will be staying at the Hotel Monaco on North Charles Street - what neighborhood would you call that? And what areas/neighborhoods should I be able to walk to from there?

Thanks for any orientation you can provide - the thought of eating out for 2 weeks straight is rather daunting (even for someone who loves restaurants), so I'm trying to explore my options as much as possible before departing. I appreciate the help!

Hotel Monaco is basically downtown. The hotel itself has a pretty nice restaurant- B&O Brasserie.

The location is a pretty easy walking distance to the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, and the Mount Vernon neighborhood south of the Washington Monument.

During the daytime (lunch), you could get over to the Lexington Market.

It's a little more of a trek to get to Federal Hill and Fells Point, but it's not bad at all, and you can catch a cab pretty easy most evenings. A nice way to get around for free is the Charm city circulator bus, but it runs only to 9pm Sun-Thurs (midnight Fri-Sat).

We stayed at your hotel for the Grand Prix and I liked the location. It is right downtown. The hotel is really nice. There is a caribou coffee right across the street, and up a couple blocks was a nice little group of restaurants and a Fresh and Green, which I didn't go in, but seems to be like a Fresh Market, so you may be able to grab some healthy meals there.

For eating out BlueGrass Tavern wouldn't be a far cab ride, although the menu may not be too appealing coming from the South. I love Woodberry Kitchen, but it is a trek. If Joss is the same one that is in Annapolis, I really like the Annapolis location for sushi and etc. Brewer's Art is a nice place to hang out, that wouldn't be too bad of a cab.

Don't limit yourself to downtown. Get to Fells Point, which would be a hike, but for a triathelete, not a big deal, although I wouldn't walk back at night. Lots of bars with bar food, some of it good, down there. If you're into beer at all, the mecca is Max's Taphouse. I've never eaten there, though, but I wouldn't hold out hope of a great meal. Also, to get the flavor of Baltimore, head to Little Italy. I don't know if there's a place that has great food there anymore, but Luigi Petti used to be our spot, although that's when it was the newcomer in the area 20 years ago. If you want another piece of Baltimore, grab a cab and get to Matthew's Pizza near Patterson Park in Highlandtown. It's a love-or-hate-it type of pizza, but I think it's one of the best pizzas around. It's in a pan but it's not Chicago style. The restaurant has been there for over 50 years, I think. On the wall is a schematic of the ship that brought Mrs. DrXmus' father to the US from Italy so it's got some sentimental value for us. Get the "both cheeses".

I will be in Baltimore for work from October 16-28 (with the exception of October 21-23, when I'm taking a side trip to NYC). I have looked at the Baltimore Dining Guide here, and a couple of local blogs/newspapers, but the problem is that I am unfamiliar with the layout of the city and its level of pedestrian friendliness. I will be staying at the Hotel Monaco on North Charles Street - what neighborhood would you call that? And what areas/neighborhoods should I be able to walk to from there?

Thanks for any orientation you can provide - the thought of eating out for 2 weeks straight is rather daunting (even for someone who loves restaurants), so I'm trying to explore my options as much as possible before departing. I appreciate the help!

Are you going to have a car? Or just walking/cabs from Hotel Monaco?

I love Woodberry. I definitely agree with the folks who talk up Fells Point. You could walk around there (gelato, crab cakes, etc.) or Hampden as an evening out. I'd also suggest the Helmand for reasonably-priced Afghan.

To piggy-back on BettyJoan's initial questions, I find myself up in Baltimore at a client four days a week, and will continue through January. The client is in the inner harbor complex, and I'm staying at the Moncao until the new hotel opens in Harbor East in November (Note on Baltimore hotels - the Intercontinental is awful - left there for the Monaco). Aside from Cindy Wolf's places, I know little about the Baltimore food scene. I was dismayed to see that Corks has radically trimmed its wine list and is now a steakhouse, though.

Where should I head for dinners - apart from the great suggestions above? Generally a party of one, usually getting out around 9 each night. Have a car, but don't want to travel too far. Open to anything unique and delicious.

I really like Tsunami and Lemongrass in Annapolis, they both have branches in Baltimore, but I haven't been to them. I liked Pazo, although it gets up and down reviews on Chow, it is rather "hip".

Miss Shirley's get good reviews, I didn't suggest it for BettyJoan as it is mainly Southern.

To piggy-back on BettyJoan's initial questions, I find myself up in Baltimore at a client four days a week, and will continue through January. The client is in the inner harbor complex, and I'm staying at the Moncao until the new hotel opens in Harbor East in November (Note on Baltimore hotels - the Intercontinental is awful - left there for the Monaco). Aside from Cindy Wolf's places, I know little about the Baltimore food scene. I was dismayed to see that Corks has radically trimmed its wine list and is now a steakhouse, though.

Where should I head for dinners - apart from the great suggestions above? Generally a party of one, usually getting out around 9 each night. Have a car, but don't want to travel too far. Open to anything unique and delicious.

I've never had a chance to venture north but based on what I read it might be wise to check out some of the restaurants written about in the Mt. Vernon, Hampton & Charles Village neighborhoods. I might suggest heading east one day and going to Jack's Bistro in Canton and sitting at the bar.

I also greatly enjoy Pazo but haven't been in over a year.

To piggy-back on BettyJoan's initial questions, I find myself up in Baltimore at a client four days a week, and will continue through January. The client is in the inner harbor complex, and I'm staying at the Moncao until the new hotel opens in Harbor East in November

Keithstg, maybe we should meet up! I'll be at the Monaco as well. PM me if you are interested. If you don't get out of your client meetings till 9 PM, dinner may not be feasible, but I am always excited to meet a fellow Rockwellian.

Other nice places to try in Baltimore are Salt in Bolton Hill, Clementine in Hamilton, Corner BYOB in Hampden, Crush in Belvedere Square, and Peter's Inn in Fells Pt.

If you guys plan a meetup, I actually live in Baltimore and would love to have a reason to eat out. PM me.

Other nice places to try in Baltimore are Salt in Bolton Hill, Clementine in Hamilton, Corner BYOB in Hampden, Crush in Belvedere Square, and Peter's Inn in Fells Pt.

If you guys plan a meetup, I actually live in Baltimore and would love to have a reason to eat out. PM me.

I always forget about Peter's Inn, never gotten a chance to try it out. Heard they fill up very quickly since its very small.

Also, Baltimore Beer Week continues until October 16.