Restaurant Week - January 9th-15th, 2006

Demvtr

RW Stories to follow,

RW(-2) Friday night "Our Creme Brulee is too burned (uhh, it's supposed to be?)

RW(-1) We're her for our reservation of 8 people (Uhh, thank the RW gods it wasn't Monday we LOST a reservation) is here.....

More to follow from the trenches...

Rocks, wanna start a trenches thread??

D

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starfish: the details on the wine pairing: for an additional $10, each course will be served with a "pairing portion" glass of wine (a touch larger than a 1/2 glass, not quite a full glass). dessert will be served with a tasting portion of graham's 6grape port, or our signature dessert cocktail - scintilare limon (a blend of housemade limoncello, and prosecco).

[bR]

Thanks for the wine pairing info. That's wonderful! I've got reservations for Friday at 8:00 and wine paired correctly of course always makes a meal better. I like the dessert option as some women (my gal) aren't particularly fond of port, but the scintilare sounds up her alley. Cheers!

We will be at Corduroys. Is theirs a special menu? Anyone know? Doesn't matter to me, as long as the regular menu is also available.
Looks like many of us will be at Corduroy at least once this coming week.

I'm trying to pace myself and wonder if the Corduroy RW menu is posted anywhere? I realize the "regular" menu has changed since my last dinner visit -- so posting even the current menu would be a BIG help.

Note: I am an adult and realize items on any menu may be sold-out or otherwise unavailable at the time(s) I order -- I will comport myself in a responsible way if my first choice isn't available, smile and clean my plate. :)

Looks like many of us will be at Corduroy at least once this coming week.

Note: I am an adult and realize items on any menu may be sold-out or otherwise unavailable at the time(s) I order -- I will comport myself in a responsible way if my first choice isn't available, smile and clean my plate.  :)

Oh, I'm being a BAD girl to point out that Lydia R and I ( :o ) will be dining together TWICE this week.

One VERY lucky Rockwellian has a chance to join us on Wednesday at 8 pm. All you lurkers out there need to seriously consider diving into the pool. Better company you couldn't ask for. Remember: we were ALL new to DR.com at one point.

Seriously: We have one space to fill and Ferhat or the very dishy Tom needs the tips! B):lol::)

Edited by Barbara

if anyone goes to Colvin Run Tavern this week i'd love to hear about their menu. i called over the weekend but the hostess didn't seem at all keen on elaborating on the RW menu. she only told me that there would be six choices and as i know how irritable this promotion can be for the employees, i did not want to push for more information.

if anyone goes to Colvin Run Tavern this week i'd love to hear about their menu.  i called over the weekend but the hostess didn't seem at all keen on elaborating on the RW menu.  she only told me that there would be six choices and as i know how irritable this promotion can be for the employees, i did not want to push for more information.

I'll be going for lunch, but probably not till Friday - probably too late to help.

[Remember, please post any actual reviews in the restaurant threads themselves, and I'll eventually do something like I did here:

Summer Restaurant Week Summary

Cheers,

Rocks]

Looks like this time it will look like this

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Tosca(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Notti Bianche(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Colvin Run Tavern(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Corduroy(...)

Raiska(...)

I guess we get pretty habitual in our dining out even during RW. So much for using it to try new places. :)

Just something to consider:

My wife is lactose intolerant. When I noticed that IndeBleu is offering only two desserts and they both have ice cream, I called IB and asked if an accomindation could be made for my wife as far as the dessert. After checking with her manager, the woman I was speaking with came back and told me that my wife would be free to order off the menu for her dessert but would have to pay the additional charge of whatever dessert she chooses. So, it looks like my wife will be getting two courses from the RW menu for $30.06 and then pay full price (ont top of the $30) for the dessert.

Not sure it's worth it!

The Wednesday spot at Corduroy has been filled. HOWEVER, there are TWO openings at our 6-top on Saturday at 8 pm. PM me if you want 'em.

BTW: Having experienced RW at Corduroy last August, I think I have some insight into why so many of us are going there this week: Tom Power doesn't DO separate menus, so there is no possibility of getting atty-tood from the servers when you ask for an RW menu. (Not that Rissa would tolerate atty-tood in any case.) He does what he did for NYE; i.e, a somewhat smaller menu (and he didn't raise the prices for NYE, either).

This is the perfect opportunity for those of you who have never been there to sample Chef Power's food at a very good price.

For the rest of us, we KNOW we are going to eat and drink well and be treated with great warmth and expert service by everyone who works there. I'm not about to apologize for eating there TWICE this week; but I will add that we are also going to Notti Bianche for the first time tonight. After this week, Craig and I will be eating beans and rice for some time to come. :)

I am a little cionfused...sorry. At Corduroy's , will the regular menu still be available? Since I think that is what I wanted to order from.

Edited to add, available at regular prices that is! Is that available?

Edited by Bra is a B

I am a little cionfused...sorry. At Corduroy's , will the regular menu still be available? Since I think that is what I wanted to order from.

Edited to add, available at regular prices that is! Is that available?

Perhaps Rissa, Dave or Ferhat will see this and elaborate. If they follow what they did last year for RW they will be offering a menu that consists of MOST, if not all, of the regular menu. At the last RW, there were some upcharges for the most expensive stuff--I recall an extra charge for the lobster salad and the Wagyu steak. They do not offer a "regular" menu with regular prices during RW. Last August I had the lobster salad, the lamb with ravioli and the chocolate tart. All for $35.05 (wine, tax and tip not included) with the upcharge on the lobster. Further, Power extended RW for another week at his place.

I'll report on our Wednesday experience and confirm (or not) the above.

ok, i'm a little new to this restaurant, having not paid much attention to it until now.  it is my tuesday night dinner, but have been on the fence about keeping it.  what are your thoughts?????  i can still cancel...  :)

I would say that if you have nowhere else to go that evening, you should keep it. But I can't remember a RW restaurant that I've been to that only offered 3 apps, 3 entrees and 2 desserts. It's not much of a bargain unless you've been dying to try the dishes that I listed in my previous post.

I think it's a great restaurant, but I feel that I would be settling for a dish that I'm not crazy about if I went during RW when I could be somewhere else. Couple that with the fact that they would charge us the full price (not just a minimal up charge) of a dessert on top of the $30 just because someone in the party is lactose intolerant, and I would be more encouraging to tell you to go somewhere else. I would just rather a spend the evening somewhere that knows how to do RW!

Ugh. We've made last minute plans to go out with another couple on Thursday night and I'm in charge of the dinner reservations. I volunteered, totally forgetting what week this was. What a dope. Any suggestions? We're going to the 11pm showing of King Kong at the Uptown (this was most assuredly not my choice) and my first thought was Dino. :)

Edit: I've already tried Firefly and they're booked. Sigh.

Edited by Heather

Ugh.  We've made last minute plans to go out with another couple on Thursday night and I'm in charge of the dinner reservations.    I volunteered, totally forgetting what week this was.  What a dope.  Any suggestions?  We're going to the 11pm showing of King Kong at the Uptown (this was most assuredly not my choice) and my first thought was Dino.  :)

Edit:  I've already tried Firefly and they're booked.  Sigh.

Front room at Palena should be relatively crowd free.

Ugh.  We've made last minute plans to go out with another couple on Thursday night and I'm in charge of the dinner reservations.    I volunteered, totally forgetting what week this was.  What a dope.  Any suggestions?  We're going to the 11pm showing of King Kong at the Uptown (this was most assuredly not my choice) and my first thought was Dino.  :)

Indique. I went to Spices on Friday, and was not overly impressed - it's been a few years, since I'd been there, and I don't eat sushi. Same problem I have w/ a lot of pan-asian places; I expect it to be as good as a Chinese place or a Vietnamese place, etc. But then usually come away disappointed.

BTW, I don't think there's a 11pm shoing at the Uptown on Thursdays. Only on Friday and Saturday nights! 8pm show on weeknights.

BTW, I don't think there's a 11pm shoing at the Uptown on Thursdays.  Only on Friday and Saturday nights!  8pm show on weeknights.

Oops! Sounds like we'd better rethink the whole evening. :)

Indique would be a good choice for us but our friends don't care for Indian food.

Oops!  Sounds like we'd better rethink the whole evening.  :)

Indique would be a good choice for us but our friends don't care for Indian food.

8pm is indeed the late show for King Kong at the Uptown on weeknights. It was a fabulous film on that screen, though. I went last week (and ate at Dino afterwards!)

It is a 3+ hour show, though, so you wouldn't be eating until 11:15 or so if you went afterwards. I put 6pm into OpenTable, and got bunches of hits in DC, so you still might be able to find something for before.

We are participating in RW and have early reservations available thursday to get you to an 8pm show across the street.

I would say that if you have nowhere else to go that evening, you should keep it.  But I can't remember a RW restaurant that I've been to that only offered 3 apps, 3 entrees and 2 desserts.  It's not much of a bargain unless you've been dying to try the dishes that I listed in my previous post

I think it's a great restaurant, but I feel that I would be settling for a dish that I'm not crazy about if I went during RW when I could be somewhere else.  Couple that with the fact that they would charge us the full price (not just a minimal up charge) of a dessert on top of the $30 just because someone in the party is lactose intolerant, and I would be more encouraging to tell you to go somewhere else.  I would just rather a spend the evening somewhere that knows how to do RW!

I also canceled my IndeBleu reservation as I was not excited about anything on that very limited menu. I snagged weekend reservations for Tosca Ristorante and Notti Bianche which had much more appealing menus instead!

I also canceled my IndeBleu reservation as I was not excited about anything on that very limited menu. I snagged weekend reservations for Tosca Ristorante and Notti Bianche which had much more appealing menus instead!

Good call! I equate their RW selection to being invited to a wedding and being forced to choose either the chicken entree, the seafood entree or the vegetable entree!

I'm going to Acadiana tonight. This will be my first trip there. (And I'm meeting my girlfriend's parents for the first time, to boot!) Anyone know what their RW menu will be? I remember TenPenh last year offering much of its menu, but not every item. Also, Acadiana's web site seems to have undergone a rebirth overnight.

What's the story on RW for one person who wants to eat at the bar? Would I be able to slide onto a stool unannounced, or do places like Corduroy and Dino take ressies for the bar during RW? (I know some restaurants do that for new year's... Just checking...)

What's the story on RW for one person who wants to eat at the bar? Would I be able to slide onto a stool unannounced, or do places like Corduroy and Dino take ressies for the bar during RW? (I know some restaurants do that for new year's... Just checking...)

I have done this at many places in the past with no problems. You can call always call ahead to verify.

I plan on doing this as I had not expected to be in town for RW and did not make any reservations.

We don't take reservations for the bar/lounge seats, and typically these are open seating. Your only constraint may be that the kitchen may be slammed so they'll ask you to wait a few minutes before ordering.

Here's Cafe Atlanitco's RW menu:

Restaurant Week , Prix-Fixe Dinner Menu

Choice of Appetizer, Entrée & Dessert

Lunch $20.06/Diner $30.06

ENTRADAS

Guacamole

A Mexican classic prepared table-side and served with flour tortillas 10

Not included on restaurant week menu.

Soup of the Day

Sopa de Higado de Pato con Maiz y Hongos

Foie Gras soup with a floating island of corn and chanterelles

Ensalada de Arugula con Maiz, Cabrales y Frambuesa

Jicama and arugula salad with cabrales cheese, corn & raspberry

Callos de Mar con Arroz de Coco Crujiente

Scallops with coconut rice, crispy rice, ginger, squid and squid ink oil

Fritura de Lambi como la hacen en Santo Domingo

Dominican Conch Fritters with a liquid center, jicama-avocado raviolis and mango oil

Salmon Ventresca envuelto en Piña

Seared Salmon belly with pineapple, avocado scallion sauce, frisse and crispy quinoa

Atun en Ceviche al Coco con Aguacate

Tuna and coconut ceviche with avocado

Camarones con pure de Auyama y aceite de Vainilla

Shrimp with candied pumpkin seeds, pumpkin puree, lime air and vanilla oil

PLATOS FUERTES

Hongos con Huitlacoche al Queso Blanco y Remolacha

Roasted Portobello Mushroom with huitlacoche corn mushroom, latin cheese,

roasted beets and beet oil

Salmon con Quinoa y Cous-Cous de Coliflor

Seared Salmon, cauliflower-quinoa “cous-cous,” buttery papaya,

avocado mash and papaya-vanilla oil

Veracruz con Aguacate

Daily special with a sauce of tomatoes, olives, onions, capers, and fresh lime with avocado

Pato con Espinacas y Pepitas de Calabaza

Duck Confit with sautéed baby spinach, pumpkin seeds, raisins and passion fruit oil

Chicken Ceasar Salad

Cornish Hen, grilled breast and confit leg with our organized “Ceasar Salad”

Faisán con Mole y Sandía

Baby Pheasant wrapped in bacon, served with deconstructed mole and seared watermelon

Churrasco de Res con Pure de Platano, Hongos y Salsa de Cabrales

Flank steak with a plantain puree, plantain chips, mushrooms and cabrales cheese demi-glace

Feijao Tropeiro

Grilled Chicken breast with black beans and pork, white rice, farofa,

oranges and sautéed collard greens with garlic

My personal review can be found here

so, here's the final decision:  i need to cancel all but 2 places.  am keeping Acadiana but cannot decide whether to cancel Seasons or Colvin Run Tavern.  any thoughts or suggestions???

I've never been to Seasons, but I did CRT during the spring RW last year, and I was very impressed with the food and the service.

We typically don't reserve for the bar but you could call about a half hour before you want to arrive. If possible, we can hold somehting for you. If you arrive without calling, we do our best to give people who want to dine at the bar priority.

Get thee to Vidalia for RW! Sure, there are more than a few upcharges on the entrees, but Jeff Buben and Pastry Chef Naomi Gallego have taken the time to put some specials up on the RW menu, including a killer charcuterie plate under the apps menu and chicken and dumplings on the entrees (no upcharge for this one). They have a number of wines available by the glass (3 oz. or 6 oz.) as well, so you can design your own wine pairing for each course for around $15 if you go the 3 oz. route.

The menu:

Vidalia Lunch

LUNCH APPETIZERS

Cobbtown Chopped Salad

seasonal greens, crisp vegetables,

avocado, country bacon and blue cheese

White Bean Soup

with apple-celeri root compote,

smoked ham hock and black truffle oil

Seasonal Field Greens

with fines herbs black walnut crusted

pipe dream farm's goat cheese, dried

apricot jam and red wine vinaigrette

Shady Lane Salad

limestone bibb lettuce with fresh

herbs, country ham, capers,

egg and vidalia onion-vinaigrette

Five Onion Soup

rich duck stock with caramelized onions,

napa cabbage, duck confit, shiitake

mushrooms and sweet onion-cheddar lavash

Oyster Pan Roast

blanquet of virginia oysters,

country ham, swiss chard, globe

artichokes and toasted brioche

House Cured Duck Ham Salad

with frisée, applewood bacon, caramelized

apples, spiced pecans and sherry vinaigrette

Vidalia's House Made Charcuterie

with violet mustard, cornichons, frisée, red

onion salad, anise crackers and chow chow

LUNCH ENTRÉES

Pork Chop Cassoulet

pan roasted center cut pork chop and slow roasted belly with a ragout of pork

sausage and butter beans, red wine-apple butter and old overholt rye pork jus

Vidalia's Vegetable Blue Plate

chef's daily selection of four composed vegetable

plates featuring local and seasonal market produce

Pan Seared Flat Iron Steak

pan seared with potato galette, wild mushroom ragout, pearl onions,

creamed spinach puree and smoked ham hock bordelaise…add 7.50

Vidalia's Crab Cakes

with sea salt-vinegar potato chips,

sweet onion slaw and old bay mayonnaise

2 cakes…add 7.50

3 cakes…add 11.50

Viola's Chicken and Dumplings

sautéed breast and stewed leg with aromatic

vegetables, poached dumplings and cream gravy

Shrimp and Grits

sautéed gulf shrimp with walking stick cabbage, caramelized sweet

onions, tasso ham, yellow corn grits and shrimp cream…add 7.50

Pan Roasted Duck Breast

with sweet potato gratin, fricassee of duck confit, wild

mushrooms, artichokes and citrus bourbon sauce… add 6.50

Carolina Rainbow Trout

with sweet onion-chorizo crust, sweet potato,

crayfish, lump crab hash and green onion sauce

Grillades and Grits

braised veal cheeks with creamy grits, tasso ham,

okra, tomato, green onion and filé cream…add 6.50

Courtableu Bayou Étouffée

cornmeal crusted catfish with oysters, crayfish, andouille

sausage, dirty rice, cilantro oil and spicy shellfish-gumbo sauce

LUNCH SIDES

Butternut Squash Custard with Glazed Pecans 6.75

Potato Mousseline with Sweet Onion Confit 6.50

Cheddar Baked Macaroni with Country Ham 7.50

Smothered Greens with Onions and Bacon 6.00

LUNCH DESSERT

Warm Apple-Pear Crisp

cinnamon spiced granny smith apples and bosc pears

topped with toasted walnut streusel and vanilla bean ice cream

Chocolate Cheesecake

bittersweet chocolate cheesecake with almond graham cracker

crust, morello cherry compote and bittersweet chocolate sauce

Citrus Yogurt Bavarian

citrus mousse layered with lemon

genoise, tropical fruit salsa and coconut syrup

Vidalia's Lemon Chess Pie

buttery crust filled with rich lemon custard

garnished with berry compote and sweet cream

Georgia Pecan Pie

served warm with chocolate sauce and praline ice cream

Trio of Sorbets

house made sorbets with crisp vanilla cookies

Seasonal Fresh Berries

with whipped cream…add 4.50

ETA: Dinner menu available here

Edited by Capital Icebox

Menu at Indique for Restaurant week - Dinner only $30.06

Non- Veg

FIRST COURSE

choose one

Shrimp Varuval

Mussels a la Indique

Chicken Dosa

Chicken Shashlik

Crab Tikki

Chicken Vepudu

SECOND COURSE

choose one

Tandoori King shrimp

Chicken Tikka Makhani

Saffron Malai Chicken

Chicken Vella Khorma (New!)

Syrian Lamb Fry (New!)

(served with Basmati rice, cucumber raita, dal and assorted breads)

VEGETARIAN

FIRST COURSE

choose one

Chat Papri

Bhelpuri

Mini Dosa

Aloo Tikki

Paneer Shashlik

Vegetable Samosa Chat

SECOND COURSE

choose one

Simla Mirch Masala

Kadai Paneer

Saag Makai

Paneer Makhani

Malai Kofta

Vegetable Biriyani

(Served with Basmati rice, raita, dal and assorted breads)

THIRD COURSE

choose one

Gulab Jamun with vanilla Ice cream

Kulfi with Orange sauce

Pista Badam kheer

Mango Ice cream

(Description and more details can be found on our web site later today)

vinod

www.indique.com