Restaurant Week - January 9th-15th, 2006

Demvtr

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Space for 1 more at Corduroy for 1:00 lunch Wednesday with V.H. and me ....

any takers?  PM me by 11:30 a.m. if you're interested.

The 1:00 Corduroy lunch spot is still available....c'mon, surely someone wants to have a great meal at a great price with really good company on this dreary day :)

PM me by 11:30 if you want to join us....

I had an outstanding meal at Acadiana last night. Their RW dinner menu consists of three appetizers, ALL of their entrees, and three desserts. The three appetizers are:

- Shrimp covered in remoulade sauce served with a deviled egg

- A mixed-greens salad with goat cheese and a maple dressing

- Gumbo

Regarding the entrees, the only upcharge is $7.00 extra for the beef tenderloin.

The three desserts are:

- Praline creme brulee (a much bigger serving than normal brulee dishes)

- Chocolate bread pudding (not the one on the regular menu) with vanilla ice cream and chunks of fried banana

- A root beer float (akin to the float on the regular menu, but slightly different)

I don't have time to give an extensive review, but the salad was very good, the shrimp appetizer seemed well-received, and the entrees we ordered (crabcakes, red snapper [x2], and redfish) were universally praised. I can vouch for the red snapper, which seems to be crusted with crushed almonds, and is smothered with brown butter sauce. It comes with a side of corn pudding that made the dish perfect. Two of us got the creme brulee, which was fantastic, and two got the bread pudding. I did not try the bread pudding, but my dining companions had no complaints.

The 1:00 Corduroy lunch spot is still available....c'mon, surely someone wants to have a great meal at a great price with really good company on this dreary day  :)

I'd love to, but sadly la Metro takes a good half an hour just to get me there.

The 1:00 Corduroy lunch spot is still available....c'mon, surely someone wants to have a great meal at a great price with really good company on this dreary day  :)

I've had a taker - spot's filled - we'll all report back after lunch :o

what to order...what to order....

I very unfortunately have to cancel a reservation for 2 at Corduroy, Sat night, 9pm.  I'll be cancelling at 12pm if anyone cares to grab it.

Heading up to Philadelphia for the weekend instead...

I think someone ate your rezzie immediately, but thanks to your post I was looking and a 9.30 had opened up! :)

How was the shrimp prepared?

If you're asking whether the shrimp was fried, grilled, skewered, etc., I don't know the answer. Sorry! I do not think it was fried, as it was not battered. The server indicated that the shrimp was the same that normally comes with the fried green tomatoes appetizer on the regular menu. The shrimp was doused in a pinkish-red remoulade sauce; it looked like there were two to four shrimp stacked in a mound, with the deviled egg set apart, but on the same plate.

Separately, has anyone done Zengo for dinner yet? I'll be there tonight, and I'm having a hard time deciding on what to order off their RW menu.

I think someone ate your rezzie immediately, but thanks to your post I was looking and a 9.30 had opened up!  :)

Damn... I have sitting like a vulture waiting for that to open up. Alas I was on my way to L'Imperio for lunch.... Enjoy.!

(I scored Tosca instead and I'll enjoy but after Babbo and L'Imperio this week, I think Tosca is going to be a bit much!)

It would be great if you could set an 'OpenTable alert' to notify you when a table at a particular restaurant becomes available due to a cancellation.

Since giving up the Saturday night Corduroy res, I've been refreshing my request for Friday lunch or dinner for a couple of hours now hoping to strike gold, or strike scallops, as it were...

As far as Notti Bianche goes, I don't know what more needs to be said to convince people to check it out, for RW or otherwise. Last night's dinner was fantastic and Danny B an incredible host, feeding my friend's parking meter was a great touch. The ricotta gnocchi was my favorite from among my table's entrees (luckily I ordered it!) but the chestnut papardelle was a close second.

Seasonal Fresh Berries

with whipped cream…add 4.50

Now I'm as big a fan of Vidalia as anyone in the world, but this is kinda funny, even when it is 55 degrees in January.

Same exact thing (maybe even an identical upcharge) is on the dessert menu at Corudory at the moment. Any chefs care to chime in? What berries are "seasonal" in mid-January?

Seasonal Fresh Berries

Same exact thing (maybe even an identical upcharge) is on the dessert menu at Corudory at the moment.  Any chefs care to chime in?  What berries are "seasonal" in mid-January?

Maybe that is the reason for the surcharge. The berries may be from the other hemisphere.

Seasonal Fresh Berries

Same exact thing (maybe even an identical upcharge) is on the dessert menu at Corudory at the moment.  Any chefs care to chime in?  What berries are "seasonal" in mid-January?

South Florida Strawberries! They grow during the entire winter and spring!

Maybe that is the reason for the surcharge.  The berries may be from the other hemisphere.

A-ha. I forgot we had a whole other hemisphere... I guess I am used to seeing "seasonal" preceded or followed by "local." Doesn't have to be that way, of course.

To keep on topic, the Corduroy I visited tonight was nothing like the one described in Tom's chat yesterday -- everything on point. I'd go into detail, but it's all been covered.

Dino is extending our restaurant week offer thru Thursday January 19.  The offer of a free glass of prosecco stands to all DR.com folk too.

Good point! As somebody who entirely missed the boat this week, are there any other early reports of extended Restaurant Week offers people have come across?

The washingtonpost.com Going Out Gurus had this on their chat yesterday:

From what I've heard, Sam and Harry's, The Caucus Room and the places in Washington Harbour (Sea Catch, Cabanas, Nick's Riverside Grille and Tony and Joe's) will be extending it in addition to Butterfield 9.

I had lunch at Ten Phen on Wednesday and it was the same thing.  We had no reservation, they were booked but said we coud eat in the bar.  I went back to the bar and there were maybe 2 scattered spots.  We were able to sit on the easy chairs in the lounge area and eat off  of the coffee table.  Service was good though.  The piece of seared tuna I had was unmemorable.

And this is a surprise? RW is always a madhouse.

After eating about four bites of my overcooked lamb shank this evening, I asked for it to go, somehow deluding myself that I'd have it for lunch tomorrow.

Then I made the mistake of getting a cheese course for dessert. Any studies relating to the smell and taste of ammonia should begin and end here.

And those two "Duval" [sic] beers I ordered? Ten bucks each.

As for the rest of my lamb shank, I ended up walking east two blocks and handing it to a homeless person on the Circle.

Remember, there are two sides to every trench,

Rocks

After eating about four bites of my overcooked lamb shank this evening, I asked for it to go, somehow deluding myself that I'd have it for lunch tomorrow.

Then I made the mistake of getting a cheese course for dessert.  Any studies relating to the smell and taste of ammonia should begin and end here.

And those two "Duval" [sic] beers I ordered?  Ten bucks each. 

As for the rest of my lamb shank, I ended up walking east two blocks and handing it to a homeless person on the Circle.

Remember, there are two sides to every trench,

Rocks

And where was this?

we just had a cancellation at 7pm for a party of 2. if anyone here would like the table, call me at notti bianche - please indicate that you are a rockwellian when you call.

have a great night all.

eta: reservation has been taken already, but i will post cancellations for sunday here before releasing the table in opentable.

Edited by starfish

[Nobody in town is happier RW is over than I am. Cheers, Rocks]

Tabard Inn (NewFoodie)

Rasika (goldenticket)

Cafe Atlantico (mhberk)

Galileo (Woodleygrrl)

Corduroy (RaisaB)

Rasika (Pat)

Dino (jm chen)

Notti Bianche (Barbara)

Georgia Brown's (DCJono)

Acadiana (bonaire)

Notti Bianche (JLK)

Acadiana (Sportsgirl)

Notti Bianche (DanielK)

Notti Bianche (Skysplitter)

Notti Bianche (aqm)

21P (dinwiddie)

IndeBleu (wahoooob)

Palette (Giancarlo Buonarotti)

Bangkok Joe's (Principia)

Tosca (The Doctor)

Notti Bianche (NewFoodie)

Corduroy (V.H.)

Corduroy (goldenticket)

Zengo (demvtr)

Ceiba (Giancarlo Buonarotti)

Palette (MBK)

Acadiana (MBK)

Corduroy (Gastro888)

Corduroy (porcupine)

Corduroy (MBK)

Acadiana (hgolightly)

Rasika (Pat)

Raskia (Tujague)

Galileo (Scott Johnston)

Corduroy (Barbara)

Corduroy (jm chen)

Corduroy (brr)

Circle Bistro (Capital Icebox)

Rasika (gnatharobed)

Charlie Palmer Steak (dinwiddie)

Corduroy (Dental FlossTycoon)

Corduroy (AlliK)

I Ricchi (rbh)

Corduroy (collije)

Corduroy (NewFoodie)

Notti Bianche (Giancarlo Buonarotti)

Notti Bianche (Pat)

Circle Bistro (dcdavidm)

Galileo (jdl)

Ceiba (clayrae)

Mendocino Grille (The Doctor)

Mendocino Grille (Billy DeLion)

Willow (cucas87)

Tabard Inn (cheezepowder)

Tosca (crackers)

DC Coast (jcc)

Indebleu (Demvtr)

Ten Penh (Jacques Gastreaux)

1789 (DanielK)

Notti Bianche (dcdavidm)

Corduroy (gks_eats_dc)

Corduroy (DanielK)

Corduroy (Principia)

Dino (cheezepowder)

1789 (jdl)

Corduroy (Camille-Beau)

Corduroy (Barbara)

Corduroy (crackers)

Corduroy (Jacques Gastreaux)

Notti Bianche (cucas87)

Cafe Mozu (entropy)

Notti Bianche (goldenticket)

Notti Bianche (gnatharobed)

Dino (dinwiddie)

Majestic Cafe (Escoffier)

Willow (Yentruoc)

Notti Bianche (mdt)

Circle Bistro (Giancarlo Buonarotti)

Circle Bistro (giant_shrimp)

Andale (The Delicious)

Corduroy (KeithA)

Zengo (cjsadler)

21P (The Delicious)

DCist has posted their Restaurant Week round-up, and the comments to the post are interesting. Is it possible that Old Ebbitt Grill really only had one option per course? That seems unlikely. TenPenh also got panned (and, from the description of the experience, justifiably so). DC Coast and Dino received raves.

But wait, it's not over yet!

My husband asked me to find him a lunch reservation near his office (14th & Constitution) for Friday, and I found Butterfield 9 on Open Table. It's walking distance, which made him happy. The fact that they're extending RW through Sunday is a bonus, and the RW menu they have on their website is appealing.

I made him promise to provide a report.

My husband asked me to find him a lunch reservation near his office (14th & Constitution) for Friday, and I found Butterfield 9 on Open Table. It's walking distance, which made him happy. The fact that they're extending RW through Sunday is a bonus, and the RW menu they have on their website is appealing.

I went to Butterfield 9 a year ago for a RW dinner. As I recall, the food was decent, but we were definitely treated as "Restaurant Week guests" and very much hurried through our meal. You'd think that places that choose to extend RW would be more accommodating!

But, this was a year ago, so a lot could have changed.

I went to Butterfield 9 a year ago for a RW dinner.  As I recall, the food was decent, but we were definitely treated as "Restaurant Week guests" and very much hurried through our meal.  You'd think that places that choose to extend RW would be more accommodating! 

But, this was a year ago, so a lot could have changed.

Apparently a lot has changed! My husband is raving about his lunch, and he said the RW menu was presented to him first. No rush, good food, and a really great deal. He plans to return, even at regular prices.