Braising

My favorite braising cut of beef is probably brisket. Brown it well, remove from pot, sweat lots of chopped onion, add some chopped garlic, return meat to pan and simmer very slowly with some red wine, bay leaf, salt, pepper.

My current favorite braising cut of pork is belly, usually prepared much the same way. Lately I've been adding some thick slices of cotechino to the braise as well, and that really rocks.

I sometimes use celery and leeks. I usually avoid using carrots as aromatic braising vegetables because I find they add a sweetness that doesn't please me (although they may make an appearance in the finished dish, just cooked through).

We generally braise in an oven at 270; given the length of braising and the boiling point of water I'm sure we've hit that mark many times. Sounds like good advice to me.

The colegen turns to gelatin, and is the most delightfull stuff. I think someone else was asking about things drying out. According to McGee its all in the speed you heat your meat. Different protiens coagulate at different temperatures. Meat in boiling water will climb from 130-to-150 so quickly that all the protien types coagulate at the same time squeezing all the love out of your braise. A slower temp increase unfolds the protiens more gently and retains moisture.

I have always made brisket by browning with the broiler and baking at a low temperature (under 300) in a roasting pan with Coke and ketchup, then letting it sit overnight in the fridge behore reheating the next day. What is the difference in taste/texture when you braise in a pot over the stove instead?

I have always made brisket by browning with the broiler and baking at a low temperature (under 300) in a roasting pan with Coke and ketchup, then letting it sit overnight in the fridge behore reheating the next day.  What is the difference in taste/texture when you braise in a pot over the stove instead?

That sounds sugary. At what temperature does sugar start to burn? It could be that your cooking method causes the sugar in the coke to carmelize.

Edited to add: Ain't google amazing:

Burnt-Sugar Stage

350° F

sugar concentration: 100%

Watch out! Above about 350° F, the sugar begins to burn and develops a bitter, burnt taste.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Newbie here--just wanted to share the results of some braising I did last night. I followed a 2004 recipe from Cook's Illustrated for a Belgian beer carbonnade, and it was absolutely delicious. Key was the beef--top blade steak, which I had never looked for or used before. Browned the beef in a dutch oven, replaced it with a lot of yellow onions and some other stuff, and eventually added some chicken and beef stock and beer. Then into the oven for 1.5 hours at 300 degrees.

And tasty as the dish was, the next time will probably be even better, since I couldn't find a true Belgian beer at the super-Giant this time and had to go with Newcastle.

I tried the pot roast recipe in the Best Recipe book, and it worked! (The whole "cook until 210 F and then keep on going" thing.)

Cutting into the meat, I saw that it was a lush brown instead of cooked grey. Ribbons of collagen had turned into velvety moistness, and the fat had turned into something with the texture of osso buco marrow. (Zounds!)

All of my friends ate pot roast until their stomachs groaned. Good times.

Anyone got a good recipe for ropa vieja? The Epicurious/Gourmet recipe has peas and olives in it, and although I can just leave them out, it made me wonder if it's really like the ropa vieja I've had, which was a very beefy shredded stew.

If the beef falls apart into shreds I assume we're talking braise territory.

Five pounds of short ribs are a braisin'.

They're in the slow cooker with plenty of diced carrots, celery, red pepper, onion, shallot, and garlic, along with about 1/2 bottle of Cotes du Rhone, a little homemade chicken stock, sun dried tomato paste, anchovy paste, and a can of tomatoes.

Tonight we'll roll out some pasta, cut it into wide ribbons, and serve the ribs on top with the sauce. Should be excellent.

They're in the slow cooker with plenty of diced carrots, celery, red pepper, onion, shallot, and garlic, along with about 1/2 bottle of Cotes du Rhone, a little homemade chicken stock, sun dried tomato paste, anchovy paste, and a can of tomatoes.

Tonight we'll roll out some pasta, cut it into wide ribbons, and serve the ribs on top with the sauce. Should be excellent.

It should indeed.

The only thing I would suggest to improve this delicious-sounding concoction is a slug of vinegar of some sort. I think there is probably not enough acid in the wine and tomatoes to balance the sweetness of the carrots, pepper and onions you've got in there. Some cider or red wine vinegar, or some balsamic will give that extra dimension to your braise.

The only thing I would suggest to improve this delicious-sounding concoction is a slug of vinegar of some sort. I think there is probably not enough acid in the wine and tomatoes to balance the sweetness of the carrots, pepper and onions you've got in there. Some cider or red wine vinegar, or some balsamic will give that extra dimension to your braise.

Oops, I forgot to mention balsamic. It's in there, I'm covered.

Happy New Year!

Anyone got a good recipe for ropa vieja? The Epicurious/Gourmet recipe has peas and olives in it, and although I can just leave them out, it made me wonder if it's really like the ropa vieja I've had, which was a very beefy shredded stew.

If the beef falls apart into shreds I assume we're talking braise territory.

This is the recipe I've used several times. I like it much better than the version I had earlier this year at Cuban Corner.

Edited by bilrus

Currently Stracotto with Garlic and Pancetta from Molly Steven's book is sending its aroma outside where DH is working, making him repeatedly come in to ask when we're having dinner. The book is addictive; there is a list of recipes that I have to have!!

Edited by MicGSD

I'm browning short ribs for the Gourmet recipe reprinted in the January '06 issue: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/233545

I think they'll be a great dinner to come home to on Monday night!

I bought all the ingredients for this same recipe except for the short ribs earlier this week. The ones at the Safeway didn't look very meaty and were too expensive. Where is a good place to find decent short ribs at a reasonable price?

I bought all the ingredients for this same recipe except for the short ribs earlier this week.  The ones at the Safeway didn't look very meaty and were too expensive.  Where is a good place to find decent short ribs at a reasonable price?

Not sure what's a decent price. I paid $4.99/lb at the Whole Foods in Clarendon on Thursday, and the ribs I got were very meaty. I only got about 4.5 lbs, though, not the 6 listed in the recipe. Should be enough for the two of us.

I bought all the ingredients for this same recipe except for the short ribs earlier this week.  The ones at the Safeway didn't look very meaty and were too expensive.  Where is a good place to find decent short ribs at a reasonable price?

Eastern Market--

post-27-1136672142_thumb.jpg

For very good ones without the hormones get the Sunnyside ones at the DuPont farmer's market.

This month's Cooking Light has an article about stew with a small call-out box titled [something like] "Braise or Stew?" Their contention is that stewing always involves cutting something into small pieces, whereas braising is defined by having a big piece of meat in liquid that goes about halfway up what's being braised.

What I want to know is how you have the self control to not eat whatever is braising when it smells so damn good.  I can't believe you all actually wait until the next day!

Because it tastes that much better when you let it rest overnight! Of course it also helps to make something else to eat while the braise is in the oven.

I did a pot roast on Saturday. I cut my carrots, celery and onion into large pieces and, after browning, left them in the bottom of the pot. I put the browned chuck roast (from Costco)(beef chuck roast is on sale at Giant this week for $1.99/lb) on top and put in some red wine, beef stock (to about halfway up the side of the meat) and braised for 5 hours. I put the probe of my digital thermometer in the oven to monitor ambient temperature and discovered that when the dial said 250, the oven was running about 325. I turned it down to just below 200 and was able to keep it between about 230 and 245 for the duration. My 11 year old son commented that the meat tasted "creamy." I was able to get that collagen/gelatin conversion thing going.

If you are going to do a pot roast, I recommend this method. Figure out what time you want to eat dinner and start about 6 hours before hand (30 minutes for preparation and 30 minutes to finish). I strained the liquid and reduced it by about half for the gravy and served with separately cooked carrots and caramelized pearl onions. Also, polenta with cream cheese and cream added.

When it comes to pot roast, I don't use a recipe, I just follow instinct. The roasts just seem to get better with each iteration.

Because it tastes that much better when you let it rest overnight!  Of course it also helps to make something else to eat while the braise is in the oven.

Pasta with fresh borlotti beans (aka cranberry beans), grilled pork tenderloin, and salad with Stilton, pears and pinenuts for dinner while the brisket was in the oven last night.

What I want to know is how you have the self control to not eat whatever is braising when it smells so damn good.  I can't believe you all actually wait until the next day!

Check out Sous Vide as an alternitive to subjecting that meat to higher than needed cooking temps normally associated with braising. Sous Vide stands for "under vacuum" and allows you to maintain all the natural juices in the meat and cook for long periods at lower than normal temps. For example shortribs for 38 hours at 154 degrees in a water bath. The juices contained in the bag after 38 hours of cooking is extremely intense in flavor and ready to be an excellent base for a flavorfull sauce. The shortribs when cooked this method fall off the bone with no effort at all, and the meat still has a slight pinkness inside. :)

I have finally succumbed to the siren song of short ribs and will probably be trying the Gourmet/Epicurious recipe with the ancho-coffee sauce. (Making tonight, eating tomorrow or the day after to account for melding/defatting time.)

But I only have about 3.5 pounds of ribs. The recipe calls for 6. Should I half the sauce, or make all of it, on the principle that too much sauce is better than not enough?

Any other tips for my maiden voyage on the S.S. Short Rib?

I have finally succumbed to the siren song of short ribs and will probably be trying the Gourmet/Epicurious recipe with the ancho-coffee sauce. (Making tonight, eating tomorrow or the day after to account for melding/defatting time.)

But I only have about 3.5 pounds of ribs. The recipe calls for 6. Should I half the sauce, or make all of it, on the principle that too much sauce is better than not enough?

Must be something in the air. I just came back from a foray to Mr. Pleasant and picked up 4.5 Lbs. to make this exact same recipe. I'd go ahead and make the whole sauce recipe. If you wind up with too much, I'll bet you can find something to do with it.

I made these a couple of weeks ago and was not really impressed with the results. I used the peppers without deseeding them and they were not really that spicy. I would also follow the advise from the earlier posts and cook low and long.

As for volume of sauce it depends on your cooking vessel. Too much and they will be drowning, although the sauce could be used for putting over polenta or some pasta.

I made the ancho/coffee short ribs last weekend. I had about 4 lbs of ribs, and made the whole sauce. I thought it was delicious, but spicier than I consider "comfort food." I freely admit that I am a Scoville wimp.

I will probably make it again, but will use another liquid instead of the chile soaking liquid. I think I'd like a little more coffee flavor, too.

Phase 1 is complete: the ribs have been braised. Now they await a much-needed defatting.

Had to improvise, as my local Latino grocery that has at least a dozen kinds of peppers doesn't have ancho. Went with guajillo, a mild chile. Made all the sauce, used about 2/3 and saved the rest for another day.

I was really surprised how much the meat shrinks up. Live and learn.

Mine have been sitting in the refrigerator all night and will need to be defatted. I did, however, taste the sauce after cooking and wasn't impressed, either. I looked at another epicurious recipe that called for chilis and other Mexican spices that was really good. I may need to doctor this up to get more depth of flavor. I'll report on the results.

All the activity on this thread put me in the mood for brasied beef, so today I bought what I need to make the sauerbraten in the new Gourmet cookbook. But I couldn't find juniper berries, and I don't have the time to go hunting for them. So, any advice on whether a shot of gin will do the trick? Or should I just go without? The meat marinates for two-four days in a mixture of red wine and red wine vinegar (and spices).

All the activity on this thread put me in the mood for brasied beef, so today I bought what I need to make the sauerbraten in the new Gourmet cookbook.  But I couldn't find juniper berries, and I don't have the time to go hunting for them.  So, any advice on whether a shot of gin will do the trick?  Or should I just go without?  The meat marinates for two-four days in a mixture of red wine and red wine vinegar (and spices).

I would not recommend gin. Juniper berries are very flavorful and I doubt you would get enough flavor out gin to do the trick. You should be able to get juniper berries at the local Giant or Safeway. I know that Dean and Deluca sells then in a tin. If the stuff has to marinate for a few days, just add them later, after you've had a chance to find some. Also, you should crush them with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy skillet before adding them.

I would not recommend gin.  Juniper berries are very flavorful and I doubt you would get enough flavor out gin to do the trick.  You should be able to get juniper berries at the local Giant or Safeway.  I know that Dean and Deluca sells then in a tin.  If the stuff has to marinate for a few days, just add them later, after you've had a chance to find some.  Also, you should crush them with a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy skillet before adding them.

I am pretty sure that I have seen them at my local Giant and Whole Foods.

I am not impressed with this recipe. It isn't NEARLY as tasty, or "Mexican," as the other recipe on epicurious "Short Ribs with Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce."

Even after I "adjusted" this recipe, it bore no relation to the second, much better, recipe. It isn't TERRIBLE, mind you, but just doesn't have the je nais se quois(sp?) as the first.

CALLING AL DENTE: I saw where you responded on eGullet's thread about "Braising with Molly Stevens." The short rib recipe with stout, maple syrup, and rosemary: Would you make that one again?

Anyone ever see/try/hear of the shortrib recipe in today's Post Food Section for ribs braised with teriyaki & prune juice?  I think I might give it a go just based upon its utter easiness.

Sounds nasty to me.

Edited by Waitman

All the activity on this thread put me in the mood for brasied beef, so today I bought what I need to make the sauerbraten in the new Gourmet cookbook. But I couldn't find juniper berries, and I don't have the time to go hunting for them. So, any advice on whether a shot of gin will do the trick? Or should I just go without? The meat marinates for two-four days in a mixture of red wine and red wine vinegar (and spices).

Just for future reference, if you have more leeway timewise, check out www.penzeys.com I get all my spices there, they are the freshest dried spices you can find and you can order small quantities so they don't go stale. I got my juniper berries from there. Your recipe sounds something like I made for New Years. My recipe does not call for gingersnaps (which I hate, and isn't in real authentic German sauerbraten anyway). My friend is German, and she recommends cooking it in a pressure cooker, which I don't have. But my husband said it was wonderful. I made the red cabbage to go with it and I thought it was pretty damn good.

check out www.penzeys.com I get all my spices there, they are the freshest dried spices you can find and you can order small quantities so they don't go stale.

bing! Thanks for the tip. Every Penzey's jar I've ever seen has been huge and that's why I never tried them - just had it in mind that they sold in large quantity only - glad to know I'm wrong. Thanks!

Well, we ate the short ribs last night. They were delicious. However, if I ever make short ribs again, I should probably make the trek to Eastern Market to buy the beautiful ones that someone posted a pic of earlier. The Safeway set shrank down to almost nothing, and while the meat I could get my teeth on was deliciously, shreddedly tender, it was way too much work to get to said meat.

I did like the flavor of the sauce. I'll cook something else in it. Maybe with an extra chipotle tossed in.

However, if I ever make short ribs again, I should probably make the trek to Eastern Market to buy the beautiful ones that someone posted a pic of earlier.

Canales is where you want to go. They usually have both bone in and boneless. And they're always big and meaty.