Cooking in Charleston

John William G

The recent New Yorker (31 Oct 2011) has a long and interesting article in it about Sean Brock and his two Charleston restaurants (The Husk and McCrady's). Actually it starts out as if it is about them, but ends up being more about changes in southern cooking, and attempts to grow again and cook with foods that were common in the south hundreds of years ago. Quite interesting.

The recent New Yorker (31 Oct 2011) has a long and interesting article in it about Sean Brock and his two Charleston restaurants (The Husk and McCrady's). Actually it starts out as if it is about them, but ends up being more about changes in southern cooking, and attempts to grow again and cook with foods that were common in the south hundreds of years ago. Quite interesting.

I finally caught up to this issue and this is indeed a fascinating article. Mr. Brock is up to some impressive things. You can find an abstract of the article here. If you click on the online archive link you can get access to the entire issue for $5.99 (which is the standard cover price) and you do not need to subscribe to anything. It is worth the investment for the read.

The recent New Yorker (31 Oct 2011) has a long and interesting article in it about Sean Brock and his two Charleston restaurants (The Husk and McCrady's).

Did they call it The Husk? It's just Husk (and it's one of my absolute favorite restaurants anywhere in the nation).

Did they call it The Husk? It's just Husk (and it's one of my absolute favorite restaurants anywhere in the nation).

John William G called it The Husk (no doubt an innocent typo). The New Yorker correctly identified it as Husk.

John William G called it The Husk (no doubt an innocent typo). The New Yorker correctly identified it as Husk.

Yeah, I shouldn't have capitalized the "T" in "The."

I've eaten at both of the restaurants, and thought the meal we had at the Husk was very, very good. If any of you are going to Charleston and want to try it, make your reservation early as it is quite popular.