My Little Sausages of Thrill

DonRocks

Moi, ce soir? First real chicken stock in a while, using necks from Eco-Friendly because there were no feet. A trip to WFM this morning reminded me that chicken legs now cost less per pound than wings.

Speaking of which, has anyone other than me noticed the complete reversal of pleasure that comes from "eating a drumstick?" When I was a kid, it was the best part of the chicken; now, it's like playing a game of gnatho-misterioso, using your central incisors to manipulate the veins out of the way in order to find the few, elfin scraps of edible meat.

Speaking of which, has anyone other than me noticed the complete reversal of pleasure that comes from "eating a drumstick?" When I was a kid, it was the best part of the chicken; now, it's like playing a game of gnatho-misterioso, using your central incisors to manipulate the veins out of the way in order to find the few, elfin scraps of edible meat.

Birds are selectively bred for larger breasts. Some poor turkeys topple over and can barely walk under the stress of their distorted anatomy.

When I was a kid, it was the best part of the chicken

This memory is at least in part based on the defective discernment of children. The drumstick was never, ever, the best part of the chicken to a fully developed taste. The thigh was and will always be the best piece, followed by the wing, followed by the breast, followed by the back, with only the neck coming in behind the drumstick. Grow up, Rocks!

This memory is at least in part based on the defective discernment of children. The drumstick was never, ever, the best part of the chicken to a fully developed taste. The thigh was and will always be the best piece, followed by the wing, followed by the breast, followed by the back, with only the neck coming in behind the drumstick. Grow up, Rocks!

I agree: thigh. My mom always said so, too. But don't ruin my childhood moment, and breasts were better then because they were smaller, more natural.

[And learn to double-space, damn it.]

I agree: thigh. My mom always said so, too. But don't ruin my childhood moment, and breasts were better then because they were smaller, more natural.

[And learn to double-space, damn it.]

If we're talking the "big eight," then yes the thigh. But drilling down a bit, no question the best part is the oyster, which admittedly is an extension of the thigh.

But, as well, don't forget that little bit embedded in the back of the "greater thigh" (when it's cut to include its half of the back and ribs). Turns out it's the kidney. Now that's some really good eating.