Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018), American Culinary TV Personality, Author, and Host of CNN's "Parts Unknown"

bnacpa

I know the book has been around for 6 years or so, but I recently read Kitchen Confidential while I was on my trip to Hawaii and it was a great read. Out of curiosity, does anyone know who he is referring to as Bigfoot?

Also, has anyone here actually tasted Anthony Bourdain's food? Does he suck per his own self assessment or is he just being self depricating?

I know the book has been around for 6 years or so, but I recently read Kitchen Confidential while I was on my trip to Hawaii and it was a great read. Out of curiosity, does anyone know who he is referring to as Bigfoot?
I actually asked him this very question at a book-signing when he came to town to promote it. I made the assumption that everybody in NYC knew who this was; however, he insisted that was not so and, given that Bigfoot was still in the business, he didn't want to identify him publicly.

Also, has anyone here actually tasted Anthony Bourdain's food? Does he suck per his own self assessment or is he just being self depricating?

I ate at Les Halles NYC, right after Kitchen Confidential came out (I was intrigued by the book and was working just outside of the city at the time). Pretty damn satisfying French bistro food-- I'd say about the best I've ever had in the US. Saw Bourdain walk out and hail a cab right as I was walking in, so he wasn't in the kitchen that night, though.

Think what you will about the guy, but you gotta admit, no other food show is going to take you to an Inuit kitchen where you can join in on eating a freshly slaughtered seal raw, including the special treat that is the eyeball. His program is unique and refreshing, even if the "Bourdainity" of it is getting a little tired.

But even then, it's nowhere near as tired as most of the offerings on the Food Network, which just get lamer and lamer.

Anthony Bourdain: I can't possibly say enough good things about the U.S. Marine Corps or enough bad things about the embassy and the State Department.

Ouch.

FWIW, there's a lot of things people don't seem to get about the realities of an evacuation. Not an excuse, absolutely not, but its very, very complicated. In general, and particularly in this situation.

K

Ouch.

FWIW, there's a lot of things people don't seem to get about the realities of an evacuation. Not an excuse, absolutely not, but its very, very complicated. In general, and particularly in this situation.

K

Of course it's complicated. But Bourdain's impression generally applies in simple situations as well.

Ouch.

K

But he did explain why he felt that way and I think it was a legitimate complaint. He was not the only one to report that the State Department and the Embassy just were not that much help to the folks trapped there by the fighting. And there were quite a few people who reported that the Marines did a fantastic job under difficult conditions and little time. I think he was extremely impressed by the sensitiveity, compassion, and understanding that was exhibited by the Marines, not traits that you normally attribute to the Corps.

But he did explain why he felt that way and I think it was a legitimate complaint. He was not the only one to report that the State Department and the Embassy just were not that much help to the folks trapped there by the fighting. And there were quite a few people who reported that the Marines did a fantastic job under difficult conditions and little time. I think he was extremely impressed by the sensitiveity, compassion, and understanding that was exhibited by the Marines, not traits that you normally attribute to the Corps.
Several months in Baghdad bore this out for me: top-notch military, sullen Embassy.

Maybe living off of MREs makes you more charitable to others? :)

Excellent!! Free is good!
Especially since Bourdain has the disconcerting habit of dissing his previous works. I was at a book-signing at Olsson's when Kitchen Confidential came out in paperback. In that book he had dismissed his previously-published novels (which Olsson's had on prominent display--so I wasn't interested). However, there was this little book (with a very interesting binding and dust cover) about "Typhoid Mary" that he had authored--as part of Bloomsbury's "Urban History" series. So I bought it and proceeded to be enthralled by this story. He really did a nice job of this. This week, PBS re-ran the "American Experience" episode about Mary Mallon and Bourdain was one of the on-screen interviews about her. I bought a copy of "A Cook's Tour" at Porcupine's DR.com flea market, and he even has disparaging words about "Kitchen Confidential." What's up with THAT? Could he possibly be that insecure about his work? In any event, "The Nasty Bits" didn't receive particularly good reviews, so I am happy to get a free copy.

I just signed up for a copy. Thanks, Monavano!

As for the dissing of his own work, he is pathologically self-deprecating (in the extreme) in his narratives on his shows. I think the stuff about his previous books falls into the same category. JMO, YMMV.

I confess, I'm a fan. :)

MSN/ Amstel Light has teamed up with Bourdain. You can get a FREE copy of his book, "The Nasty Bits" with this link:

http://livetastefully.msn.com/Article1.asp....aspx>1=8527

Just an update. I received an email stating that due to overwhelming demand, there was a delay in sending the free book out. I am told to expect it in 6-8 weeks. Hopefully, others who have submitted for this offer will get the same e mail.

Mr. Monavano says:

One of the hardest things for publishers is estimating the number of books that should be printed. Publishers don't want to underestimate demand because they've lost sales and it's expensive to do another printing. As a result, publishers' estimates tend to run on the high side, typically resulting in excess book inventory. If there is excess inventory, the publisher will sell the excess stock for pennies on the dollar, just to recoup as much of the printing costs as possible. Therefore, it is quite possible that the website offering these books for free as a marketing gimic really didnt' spend too much money to obtain your email address and contact information.

Mr. Monavano says:

One of the hardest things for publishers is estimating the number of books that should be printed. Publishers don't want to underestimate demand because they've lost sales and it's expensive to do another printing. As a result, publishers' estimates tend to run on the high side, typically resulting in excess book inventory. If there is excess inventory, the publisher will sell the excess stock for pennies on the dollar, just to recoup as much of the printing costs as possible. Therefore, it is quite possible that the website offering these books for free as a marketing gimic really didnt' spend too much money to obtain your email address and contact information.

Ahhhh. So if they didn't spend that much to find out who I am and where I live, I shouldn't feel guilty moving so they can't make use of that info! :lol: