What are the Grape Varieties in French Wines?

hgolightly

When I am in a store selecting wine to buy I generally stick to US wines because the varietal is always obvious. So, I know I like Sauvignon Blanc's and hey, maybe I'll try this new one to see if I like it. But when I wander over to the French bottles I get confused rather quickly. I've tried looking closely and patiently at the labels, but most of the time I don't know which to pick unless there is a description provided by the store or the staff member. I know that Bourdeaux's are generally blends, and that Burgundy's are made from Pinot Noir or Chardonnay. But my question is whether there is anything I should be able to recognize on the labels that would help me figure out which French wines I might enjoy? Cause at this point, I usually just stare with nary an idea of what I'm staring at.

The list could be pretty long but I will throw out a few things. This is not exactly authoritative and hopefully others will chime in but I will give it a shot.

White Sancerre = Sauvignon Blanc

Red Sancerre = Pinot Noir

White Touraine usually Chenin blanc, or Sauvignon blanc

Southern Rhone reds have eleven (I think) varietals to choose from but they are usually a blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mouvedre (GSM). The rest of the varietals include Cinsault, and Carignane.

Southern Rhone whites have ten varietals (I think) to choose from, including Granache blanc, Viognier . and Clairette blanc

Northern Rhone red - mostly 100% Syrah

Northern Rhone white - Marsanne, Rousanne, blend, others are 100% Viognier

Cahors - Malbec, usually blended with something else such as Merlot and Tanat

Muscadet = Melon de Bourgogne

Alsace, usually 100% varietal, Reisling, Pinot Gris etc.

Champagne can use these varietels - Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier,

Bordeaux usually Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon blends but can also include Cab Franc sometimes Malbec and others that I can't think of right now

Like I said, the list could go on and on. The AOC rules are pretty comprehensive.

Cheers!

When I am in a store selecting wine to buy I generally stick to US wines because the varietal is always obvious. So, I know I like Sauvignon Blanc's and hey, maybe I'll try this new one to see if I like it. But when I wander over to the French bottles I get confused rather quickly. I've tried looking closely and patiently at the labels, but most of the time I don't know which to pick unless there is a description provided by the store or the staff member. I know that Bourdeaux's are generally blends, and that Burgundy's are made from Pinot Noir or Chardonnay. But my question is whether there is anything I should be able to recognize on the labels that would help me figure out which French wines I might enjoy? Cause at this point, I usually just stare with nary an idea of what I'm staring at.

It's likely the case that the varieties that you enjoy in US wines may not match up to those in French wines. Feel free to post more about what you like in US wine, and we'll be glad to help find some yummy Old World wines.

Thank you, that's helpful. For whites I generally like citrusy, acidic wines with some minerality...I often stick with sauv blanc, albarino or verdejo. I don't eat a lot of meat so I stay away from big cabs because they're too much for me...often too many tannins. For reds, I like a "sit on the couch and watch tv" kind of wine...I drink pinot noirs because they're often more mellow and have a lighter body. If I want something more bold I go with Malbec. Hmm...after typing this out, I see perhaps I'd have more luck exploring wines from Spain...but I feel like if I'm ever going to consider myself knowledgeable about wine I need to have an understanding of French wine...or at least know what I'm looking at when I'm considering a bottle. :lol:

For whites I generally like citrusy, acidic wines with some minerality

Lots of choices there, but I love muscadet. Look for Chereau-Gunther, Chereau-Carre, Pepiere, Luneau-Papin, Louvetrie. Also the Alsatian wines from Trimbach. From Italy, look for various Campanian whites from producers such as Grotta di Sole and Terradora di Paolo. One way to explore this sector is to enjoy wines from the lists at 2 Amys or Pizzeria Orso--they're both stuffed with 'em.

For reds, I like a "sit on the couch and watch tv" kind of wine

Beaujolais! Lots of good producers, look for wines imported by Wine Traditions or Louis/Dressner Selections. Also young Aglianicos (Terradora di Paolo is a favorite here as well). You'd probably like a fair number of Austrian reds, but it's been awhile since I've tasted through a bunch.

I see perhaps I'd have more luck exploring wines from Spain

Sure, though a lot of stuff is too woody. For whites, look for wines from the Ribeiro region. For reds, it's a pretty big mishmash of styles, but two importers, Grapes of Spain and Jonas Gustafsson, bring in excellent wines. This importer thing is important--find a few importers whose wines match your palate, and your life will be a lot easier.

I feel like if I'm ever going to consider myself knowledgeable about wine I need to have an understanding of French wine

Yeah, pretty much true. But I've found the best way to approach wines from France is region-by-region, treating each as essentially a different country. You don't need to master them all (and understanding Burgundy is financially inaccessible for most of us). For what you've voiced here, I'd say start with Alsace, Loire, and Beaujolais, and branch out from there.

Of course, that's what I tell most everyone :).

Sure, though a lot of stuff is too woody. For whites, look for wines from the Ribeiro region. For reds, it's a pretty big mishmash of styles, but two importers, Grapes of Spain and Jonas Gustafsson, bring in excellent wines. This importer thing is important--find a few importers whose wines match your palate, and your life will be a lot easier.

I would add to the list, Andre Tamers of De Maison Selections.