Wawa, a Wawa, PA-Based Convenience Store Chain in Several Area Locations

Both Sheetz and Wawa have very decent food. The egg salad at Wawa is *really* good. The only time you should EVER buy egg salad at a gas station.

If you could somehow figure out how to shoehorn Wawas into Northern VA (specifically Fairfax and Loudoun County), you could make a *fortune*.

Well, since this is now it's own thread...

Here are the three closest Wawas to the DC Metro Area:

13355 Minnieville Rd
Woodbridge, VA
(703) 492-9984

15809 Jefferson Davis Highway
Woodbridge, VA
(703) 583-3584

10515 Baltimore Avenue
Beltsville, MD
(301) 595-2013

These are basically what would happen if a gas station-equipped 7-11 crossbred with a Subway and Whole Foods yet still stayed affordable. The coffee consistently beats anyone's, the snacks are always fresh, and the made-to-order food is always good (special kudos to the chicken and egg salad, which are freshly-made and will never disappoint). Best of all, most are open 24h, have cheap gas, and they're dotted all along I-95 between DC and Richmond, *especially* down to Fredericksburg.

And also, given again that this is its own thread now - Sheetz is NOT affiliated with Wawa. Wawa is superior to Sheetz in every single way imaginable by the human subconscious.

I *heart* WaWa. They appear all over my hometown of Virginia Beach. A quarter cup of any coffee from the dial-button machine + the rest of the cup from any brewed coffee = outstanding cup of joe for the road. Most other self-serve coffee stations offer only cold dairy products to lighten your cup, so this is an immensely satisfying "cheater's cappuccino".

The other major plus is the selection of healthier snacks. I experience a pleasantly distorting "where am I" shock each time I see the variety of hard-boiled eggs, smartly portioned cheese, yogurt, and simply sliced fruits attractively displayed. WaWa consistently provides more than token choices for the nutrition-conscious.

(why yes i do happen to have photos)

(from a recent trip to wawa)

(near shore drive and pleasure house road*, virginia beach)

*not what you think

post-5654-0-37210800-1321866901_thumb.jp

post-5654-0-23796700-1321866909_thumb.jp

I drove from Miami to DC in August. Somewhere in Virginia we stopped for gas at a Wawa & I went in to get a snack, thinking peanuts would be the best I could do. I left with fruit salad, hard-cooked eggs, a little cheese plate, and hummus & veggies. We were pleasantly surprised.

I grew up in Lancaster County, where both Wawa and 7-11 are locked out because of the Turkey Hill grip on the market.

But on my way to visit relatives in Lancaster, I head through York and always stop at Rutter's for gas and snacks. You can design your own sandwich, and while you're waiting for it to be made, you can grab pickled red beet eggs, or sweet bologna with cheese chunks, or a wide selection of York and Lancaster county chips and pretzels....

Had "The Gobbler" a few weeks ago from Wawa. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry on their 6" ("Shorti") sub roll for I believe around $4 or less. Definitely best gas station stop on a road trip.

My one concession to Sheetz is that they usually have Diet Dr. Pepper in their fountain drink machine, whereas Wawa does not. Minor quibble.

I grew up about 9 miles from Wawa, PA (according to google maps), and my aunt's in a nursing home a few miles from Wawa. It amuses me for some reason that it became such a regional and expanding chain. I've never been to one with a gas station. In fact, I've rarely gone to a Wawa that wasn't the one in the town where I grew up, and I haven't been there in a decade. It just used to be where we bought milk after the era of milk home delivery stopped. We rarely bought anything else there, though I recall my mother liked those "Shorti" hoagies when they introduced them.

Growing up in Philly, WaWa's were everywhere and I do miss their convenience. I think the sandwiches have gone down in quality, but still want a Jr. or a Shortie when we pass by Joppa on the way up to PA and NJ.

WaWa was always the preferred convenience store and we got milk, eggs and deli meats and cheeses. Rolls and pickles too. I'd never use a 7-11 the same way, so I'd frequent a WaWa if one were nearby.

I can't believe there's one in Poland! I'll have a kielbasa melt, please.

And to think that they have Wawa's in Poland, at least that is what one of my fellow co-workers who just got back from there told me. Poland, yes. NoVa, no. Hmmmm.

I'd imagine it's a real estate and zoning/land size issue. There are only a few places one could open one of the "Super Wawas" around here. Manassas and Loudoun County spring to mind as still having tracts of land large and open enough, but there's maybe ten places total large enough to shoehorn one of their stores into Fairfax County without the headaches of demolishing and rezoning, and most of them already have large gas station/convenience store combinations nearby that would undoubtedly fight their placement.

I'd imagine it's a real estate and zoning/land size issue. There are only a few places one could open one of the "Super Wawas" around here. Manassas and Loudoun County spring to mind as still having tracts of land large and open enough, but there's maybe ten places total large enough to shoehorn one of their stores into Fairfax County without the headaches of demolishing and rezoning, and most of them already have large gas station/convenience store combinations nearby that would undoubtedly fight their placement.

I agree from the looks of Manassas that there are very few land uses they will not approve. :)

I've got some connections with higher ups... there is no Wawa in Poland. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed for the DMV though!!!

There is now *technically* a Wawa in Fairfax County.  It's on the furthest possible *fringe* of Fairfax County, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.  Also, I've since found out that the egg salad, while still good, is not freshly-made, it's made by Morningstar Farms. >.>

3450 Historic Sully Way in Chantilly.

To make it easier to find - it's the same exit you use to get to the Udvar-Hazy Annex, you simply go the other way.  You can't miss it - it's lit up about as brightly as one of Dulles' approach lights, and if you go late at night you're bound to meet half the cops in western Fairfax County cooping there around the coffee fixin's island.

There is now *technically* a Wawa in Fairfax County.  It's on the furthest possible *fringe* of Fairfax County, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.  Also, I've since found out that the egg salad, while still good, is not freshly-made, it's made by Morningstar Farms. >.>

3450 Historic Sully Way in Chantilly.

To make it easier to find - it's the same exit you use to get to the Udvar-Hazy Annex, you simply go the other way.  You can't miss it - it's lit up about as brightly as one of Dulles' approach lights, and if you go late at night you're bound to meet half the cops in western Fairfax County cooping there around the coffee fixin's island.

Yup, same exit.  Just follow the sign for the Sully Historic Site.

I suppose it's safe to say that good ol' Pennsylvania is the home of the "good" convenience stores -- Sheetz (Altoona), Wawa (Wawa), Rutter's (York) and Turkey Hill (Lancaster). I've eaten at all of them, and the food is quite a few notches above the typical convenience store, like 7-Eleven, and very much higher than the fast food places ... plus you can get pickled red beet eggs, chicken corn soup, Gibble's potato chips and all manner of local treats.

I suppose it's safe to say that good ol' Pennsylvania is the home of the "good" convenience stores -- Sheetz (Altoona), Wawa (Wawa), Rutter's (York) and Turkey Hill (Lancaster). I've eaten at all of them, and the food is quite a few notches above the typical convenience store, like 7-Eleven, and very much higher than the fast food places ... plus you can get pickled red beet eggs, chicken corn soup, Gibble's potato chips and all manner of local treats.

It's definitely a 'jewel' for a quick bite - though the made-to-order options can take ~10-15 minutes to go from prep to 'ready.'  It'll be really tempting to grab stuff at this place to smuggle it in to the Udvar-Hazy IMAX.  I mean, seriously, catching my second (and last) screening of Star Wars on the 28th last month, I made the mistake of buying a $3 Coke from their concession stand...and it was warm despite coming out of the 'cooler' they've got behind the desk.  Never again. =/

They're also supposedly building a new Chick-Fil-A in the same cropping of land, since it's on the marquee.

• Like 1

Just got back from DC's first Wawa.  At first blush, I was underwhelmed by what appeared to be a cleaner, brighter 7-11.  But after drinking their $1 coffee and eating a freshly toasted turkey sub loaded with fresh veggies, I left impressed.  The coffee isn't nearly specialty-shop quality, but it's much much much much better than its competitors (7-11, McDonald's, Dunkin, etc.) and the price is right.

15 minutes ago, NolaCaine said:

For fresh-food selection and a clean bathroom on a road-trip, I vote WaWa but I have not been to a Rutter's. In fact, I have a few favorite WaWas and a second-favorite Sheetz; all in VA west of DC.

Which Sheetz is your fave? We have one down the street. Very solid. We're also getting a Royal Farms around the corner. WOO-HOO! Fried chicken and western fries ftw!

6 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

Which Sheetz is your fave? We have one down the street. Very solid. We're also getting a Royal Farms around the corner. WOO-HOO! Fried chicken and western fries ftw!

Between I-66 and C'Ville is one about half way down and if headed south, on the left. Love that place. It's really, really busy but always clean and full of friendly employees.

1 hour ago, NolaCaine said:

Between I-66 and C'Ville is one about half way down and if headed south, on the left. Love that place. It's really, really busy but always clean and full of friendly employees.

I know it well! Couple good Wawas on that stretch of 29 too. 

"A Wawa Sub Makes Sense on the Hihghway. In the City, it Tastes Like a Mistake" by Tim Carman on washingtonpost.com

I read through this piece, and pretty much agreed with everything.

Then, I read through some of the comments, and was reminded about the futility of the Post's commenting system: Throw out the bone, and let the dogs fight over it. Unless the author chooses to engage the commenters, (s)he is at their mercy, when a couple, simple back-and-forths could easily clear up any disagreements. The problem is, those "couple, simple back-and-forths" constitute an almost-full-time job. I'm not sure there's a good answer, unless you're crazy enough to work for free.

I found the article odd.

"To select Wawa for lunch in the District, you must stubbornly overlook far superior destinations, including Bub and Pop’s, Sundevich, Taylor Gourmet, Smoked and Stacked, Beef ’N Bread, Duke’s Grocery and more"

That's like saying it's silly to go to Domino's when there's Two Amy's and Pizza Paradiso around. Sure, but that's apples and oranges. 

Not to mention, most of those places are far away. I don't think anyone has ever had a conversation where they were deciding between Wawa and Smoked and Stacked.

To me, Wawa is much better than Subway, has a really big selection, and is quick and convenient. It's never going to replace Bub and Pop's for me, but that's not what it's there for.

I'm very happy to have Wawa.

5 minutes ago, mtureck said:

I found the article odd.

"To select Wawa for lunch in the District, you must stubbornly overlook far superior destinations, including Bub and Pop’s, Sundevich, Taylor Gourmet, Smoked and Stacked, Beef ’N Bread, Duke’s Grocery and more"

That's like saying it's silly to go to Domino's when there's Two Amy's and Pizza Paradiso around. Sure, but that's apples and oranges. 

I'm very happy to have Wawa.

I understand what you're saying, but this isn't a zero-sum game: For example, we have threads on all of these places, and having a thread on Wawa doesn't detract from the threads on the others. If there are a limited number of pieces someone at the Post can write, then maybe the time would be best spent elsewhere, I'm not sure. 

Royal Farms has "okay" fried chicken - similar to Wawa, it works in a pinch (or if you're in Baltimore) I didn't say that.

There's a Wawa on Market St in the heart of Philly, within blocks of innumerable good eateries, including a newish Cheesesteak shop called Cleavers that already is earning comparisons to the best of the Cheesesteak old guard. And I'm sure others in the city as well, we just happened to be staying a block from this one. So it's not like someone got the bright idea to put one in the heart of DC out of the blue. Just like there is a Royal Farms at the corner of Light and Lombard in Baltimore.

On 1/21/2016 at 12:08 PM, MsDiPesto said:

If they have Gibbles at the one out in Sully, it might be worth a trip out there!

Not sure about the Gibbles, but they have Zapp's. My daughter has soccer practice at the Sully Highlands complex nearby, and we usually make a post-practice stop at Wawa or CFA next door.

if he had just written that Wawa’s appeal is more about nostalgia and convenience than absolute quality, then fine.  But he then makes a bunch of apple and orange comparisons, adds a bunch of observations about the customers that don’t match my experience, and apparently orders things that no one would order at a Wawa.  (I did once order their club sandwich, and agree that it’s not very good, but at least there’s no avocado nonsense).  Also, It sounds like he ordered his Italian sandwich toasted, which I really can’t endorse.

• Like 1

Well, nostalgia...I grew up near one of the first Wawas.  I don't know how rapidly they expanded, but the first one was established about 10 miles away in 1964, and I have memories of Wawa being at the center of our town from fairly early in my childhood. When I stop in a Wawa now, it doesn't resemble their older dairy-convenience stores much at all.  I'm not even sure I've ever gotten a sandwich at a Wawa, TBH, but I haven't lived near one in a long time. When they first introduced their "short" hoagies back in the 90s (I guess), my mom used to rave about them. so maybe I had one of those while I was visiting her. 

Googling, I see that the old store I remember fondly closed a decade ago and has been replaced by a new modern one across the street (store #8086), where the post office and some vacant land used to be. I suppose they're thriving because they've changed with the times (lots of prepared foods, gas pumps, etc.), but I still think of them as the place to run to for an emergency gallon of milk, bread, eggs, or pick up a newspaper or magazine. They apparently have none of those things anymore. IIRC, the only day they were closed was Christmas, so they were the store that was open even when everything else was closed. (Maybe they closed Thanksgiving too?)  I recall walking there in the aftermath of the snowstorm that postponed my father's funeral. 

ETA: I see I commented in this thread already, 6+ years ago.:lol: