Thanksgiving

thistle

Change of plans, as we just went from six to ten guests. Deviled eggs, so I can use my plates, marinated kalamata olives with herbs and garlic from the garden, and Julia Child's Queen of Sheba cake for a dessert option, Grand Marnier used instead of rum. I'm going to try propping the eggs on their sides this time around to see if it really centers the yolks. It can't hurt.

I'm dry brining the Polyface turkey this year--Russ Parsons swears by it, so we shall see. smoking it with hazelnut wood tomorrow--one of our trees died a while ago and got cut down and cut up. it's very dry, so I'm going to soak it, hoping it'll smoke before it burns. stuffing will be made with Atwater rustic bread, eco-friendly sausage, chestnuts, etc. creamed onions, because J. has to have them. mashed white and sweet potatoes. gravy. brussels sprouts, probably with some bacon. possibly some roasted root veg. cranberry-ginger compote; quince mostarda. pumpkin pie, pecan tart. a 2009 Schlumberger pinot gris and a 2000 Cotes de Nuit. starting with a charcuterie board with some venison paté and bresaola from Jamie Stachowski, iberico ham. costing a fortune, but I haven't been able to do Thanksgiving for several years and have much to be thankful for this year, including a functioning knee.

Thanksgiving with Azami's family is always a "traditional" feast, with various family members contributing apps, sides, and desserts. This year, we were encouraged to be "exotic" (or "spicy," I don't remember which) with our contributions. Azami reminded me that, plain language of encouragement aside, his family is not super adventurous. There's also a bit of a thing for us to have something Japanese at Thanksgiving (one year, a Japanese friend brought sushi to our traditional turkey feast, and it was fabulous). So, we're taking our favorite takikomi gohan -- rice, carrots, shiitake, burdock root, aburaage (deep-fried tofu sheet), and substituting turkey thigh for chicken.

Pie crust made, will make a pumpkin custard and pecan bourbon pie tomorrow, the extra pumpkin custard is going into ramekins, so it will be gf, I might put a burnt sugar topping on it. Already made polenta sausage wedges that I will brown then heat tomorrow. Dinner at my brother's tomorrow, his wife is gf. Bringing lactose free milk for the mashed potatoes so I can actually eat them! Also bringing a double magnum of wine and green beans. We are going to have a ton of food. I think we need a couple more people, we are only going to have seven.

Happy Thanksgiving all, be safe in that kitchen!

Also bringing a double magnum of wine :o

Mr. MV and I are sharing with some of our neighbors this Thanksgiving. We're just getting back into the kitchen, organizing and figuring it all out, so I'm glad there's not a great deal of pressure. But there will be plenty of food! We'll be sending plates and leftovers to some other neighbors who for various reasons are not partaking in the holiday this year.

i have a 12 lb. turkey that I will be roasting with convection (a first for me) and using a buttery, herbed cheesecloth over the breast and legs with about a 10-15 minute period at the end of cooking without it to brown if needed. I'm intrigued with this method-- I just happened to catch several cooking segments using this method this year.

Sides include vermouth and giblet gravy, sauteed mushrooms with a sherry cream sauce, cauliflower and Vivaldi potatoes with Parm and mascarone, Mr. MV's sage, sausage and dried cherry bread stuffing, roasted brussels with a caramel balsamic sauce and crispy pancetta, sauteed spinach with shallots and nutmeg and cranberry chutney with orange, grapefruit and pecans.

TJ's pumpkin pie for dessert.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

i have a 12 lb. turkey that I will be roasting with convection (a first for me) and using a buttery, herbed cheesecloth over the breast and legs with about a 10-15 minute period at the end of cooking without it to brown if needed. I'm intrigued with this method-- I just happened to catch several cooking segments using this method this year.

I've done the cheesecloth on the breast in the past. What really works to prevent overcooking the breast, is to lay the bird, breast down on some ice packs while you are bringing the rest of the bird up to room temp before cooking. that way, the breast starts much colder and takes longer to cook, evening out the time between dark and light meat.

Pie crust made, will make a pumpkin custard and pecan bourbon pie tomorrow, the extra pumpkin custard is going into ramekins, so it will be gf, I might put a burnt sugar topping on it. Already made polenta sausage wedges that I will brown then heat tomorrow. Dinner at my brother's tomorrow, his wife is gf. Bringing lactose free milk for the mashed potatoes so I can actually eat them! Also bringing a double magnum of wine and green beans. We are going to have a ton of food. I think we need a couple more people, we are only going to have seven.

Happy Thanksgiving all, be safe in that kitchen!

Quite by accident, I found that using Almond milk in the mashed potatoes worked just fine.

I've done the cheesecloth on the breast in the past. What really works to prevent overcooking the breast, is to lay the bird, breast down on some ice packs while you are bringing the rest of the bird up to room temp before cooking. that way, the breast starts much colder and takes longer to cook, evening out the time between dark and light meat.

Saw this a little too late, but, what I did was truss the bird as tightly as I could to draw the legs up to the breast. It's not pretty, but I hope the breast keeps moist. I'll remember this for next time. Thanks!

ps... I like the idea of icing the breast vs. starting with the breast down then turning up later.

I screwed up my T'giving turkey for the first time-glad I got that out of the way, I had nightmares all week, so they were either premonitions or self-fulfilling prophecies. I got up at 4:30 to start the smoker, the 14 lb. bird was on from 5-12, & my thermapen said 180, when I poked it in what I thought was the thickest part. After driving up to my SIL's house in Potomac, I started to carve & was horrified by interior. I also smoked a tiny breast, which was fine, & we had a ham, I threw the wretched bird back in the oven for an hour, & then it was fine, so post-dinner turkey for everyone. I KNEW I should have done it the day before, but my son pooh-poohed the idea (of course, he also didn't volunteer to get up at 4:30).

Everything else was great, a smaller group, which was a nice change, & we all ate too much. I brought the carcasses & trimmings home, & have 2 crockpots of stock working- a small one w/ shallot, lemongrass, ginger, star anise for turkey pho, & a large one w/ onion, mushroom, s&p for soup TBD. I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving, & enjoyed visiting w/ family & friends...

Well, if cooking turkey was easy there would not be thousands of recipes.

What I learned. Not going to buy a 25 pound heritage turkey ever again, especially not from a sweet lady lawyer who decided that having a farm was more fun than practicing law. It's going to be a tom, and the freaking feathers are going to be big, and the nice people who raise their turkeys running around in the grass and eating bugs are not going to pull all of them out because they are amateurs and the people helping them are even more amateurs. So you will spend hours with a pair of tweezers pulling out the ends of the feathers that were left when they were done.

And you can't spatchcock a 25 pound turkey because you don't have a pan big enough for it and even if you did it would not fit in the oven. So you have to cut it in half.

And if you cook it at 450, as is the "advice" for heritage birds, a half turkey cooks in less than an hour. And the breast will be done before the legs are done, so you have to cut that half into half again, take out the breast and finish the legs.

And when it's cooked, even perfectly, it's going to be tough.

And there will still be feather bits, so nobody will eat the skin.

It has a good flavor, though. I am going to braise the other half in the slow cooker, with the turkey broth I made from the tail and backbone. Sacrificed the turkey drippings and yummies for my son's beef gravy for the prime rib. He won't eat turkey. So no turkey gravy. But it added a flavor kick to his gravy.

Next year I will still go heritage, but from a professional outfit, and not bigger than 14 pounds. Going to try it again but at a lower oven temp.

Spatchcocking really does save oven time, so I will do that again.

Well, there were other screwups, such as, the mashed turnips were so liquid that we called them "turnip soup". Next time I will either nuke them or steam them, instead of boiling them. And younger son spent the evening in high dudgeon because we did not have the "right" tamari (San-J), so his green beans did not have the "right" flavor.

But everybody raved about the corn bread and wild rice dressing. I made gluten free corn bread with almond flour instead of wheat flour, crumbled it up and toasted the crumbs. Boiled wild rice, which come to think of it, was a screw up, too. Followed Bittman's recipe for wild rice pilaf, but some of the grains never got soft. I think the wild rice was a little old and dried out, maybe. Next time I will try stirring them in the oil until all of them pop.

There is a huge list of things we cannot add to the dressing, due to various iterations of picky eaters. No mushrooms, no pork, no oysters, no nuts, no fruit.

But we can add lots of chopped onion, celery, green onion, all sauteed until soft, and lots of fresh herbs. And Bells' Poultry Seasoning. It would not be Thanksgiving without Bells, is my opinion. It tastes exactly like Thanksgiving should taste.

Next time I will roast a head of garlic to keep around for doctoring things that need a little umph.

Someone just drove by with a Christmas tree on top of their car. Sigh. Time for the next holiday.

Someone just drove by with a Christmas tree on top of their car. Sigh. Time for the next holiday.

When I went to the Whole Paycheck on P Street nine days ago--Nov. 14--they already had a supply of Christmas trees for sale. What dope will buy a tree six weeks before Christmas???

Barbara,

I'm sorry I didn't make your pumpkin cheesecake for T'giving, but I didn't want to upstage my SIL's MIL, Ellen, who makes the most excellent pies every T'giving-pumpkin, pecan, & apple-I can't even begin to compete. Lizzy made a poundcake, but almost everyone (even after stuffing themselves silly) wanted pie..not looking forward to dragging out the Xmas decorations this weekend, but Elizabeth has already drawn up an elaborate plan...

SIL and BIL are on the train back to NYC, after a second round of sandwiches, smoked turkey salad this time. And a second soup. Yesterday's soup was based on the leftover roasted veg dish (buttercup squash, red pepper, rutabaga and celery root), run through the Vita-Mix blender with turkey stock and some leftover creamed onions and a few dashes of Marie Sharp's hot sauce. Today's soup was sauteed leeks, celery and fennel, pureed with more turkey stock and creamed onions, and mashed white potatoes stirred in with the leftover hot milk from this morning's café au lait. (I didn't put the mashed potatoes in the blender, lest they turn to glue.) With last night's sliced turkey sandwiches we had heated up leftover stuffing and gravy, and finished up the brussels sprouts. So I'm looking pretty good as far as dealing with the leftovers. All I have now is the denuded carcass for smoked turkey stock, which will make killer soups, a bit more stuffing, gravy and sweet potatoes.

Friday brunch was the highlight of the holiday for me-- a selection of goodies from Russ and Daughters in NYC, which my SIL and BIL brought with them when they arrived on Thanksgiving morning. Assorted bagel. Two kinds of lox, three kinds of cream cheese, pickled herring in sour cream and freshly salted Holland herring. Served with sliced Bermuda onion, sliced tomatoes, kalamata olives and capers. And lots of press-pot café au lait. Absolute heaven.

The dry-brined smoked turkey was good, but not fabulous. I think I will go back to herb-brining, because though I added herbs to the salt rub (lavender powder, onion powder, powdered oregano, white pepper) the flavor didn't get in and infuse the meat the way a flavored brine does.

Spatchcocking really does save oven time, so I will do that again.

It does, but I didn't understand just how much time it would save us, unfortunately. By the time I thought to check it (55 minutes or so), most of the meat was already dry, dry, dry. Note - a 10-pound turkey is really just a big chicken and a spatchcock prep will have it cooked in no time. Most of the drippings were boiled off and the rest, once scraped off the foil, were more like slightly burnt demi-glace (and delicious, so that wasn't much of a problem). So, lesson learned here as well! I think I will practice on some chickens and have my timing perfected for next year.

When I went to the Whole Paycheck on P Street nine days ago--Nov. 14--they already had a supply of Christmas trees for sale. What dope will buy a tree six weeks before Christmas???

We used to buy ours the day after Thanksgiving. We also lived in Western Maryland, cut our own drove it 15 minutes home and soaked it in a bucket of water before we brought it in, kept it watered, they always lasted a ridiculously long time. I have tried to lower my tree expectation, they just aren't the same here, even if you cut your own. There is something about a tree from Garrett County you can just tell, it looks so good. My brother brought one all the way home in his truck. I would like to call him stupid for the whole thing, but it looks fantastic sitting decorated in his living room right now and I am really kind of jealous.

Well I think I overbaked my pies a little, they were still good, but not as good as usual. We had fresh oysters that we quickly grilled to pop them open and shucked. Ate with some cocktail sauce I made. They were ridiculously good. My Mom doctored up some good sauerkraut, made beautiful lf and gf mashed potatoes and gravy. Everything was very tasty and it was so nice to be in DC. I was a bit worried about the wine, we got the cork out, decanted and it was great, it took 4 decanters. Anyway on to the next one.

This is the first of our annual "unpardoned" turkeys for tonight's dinner -- gobble gobble!!! post-4600-0-23052600-1353596146_thumb.jp

That's adorable, Linda!!!

Here's to those who don't roast turkey for Thanksgiving! Best protein on my plate was a foil-wrapped brisket cooked outdoors on a grill whose heritage is pure Texas.

My contribution owes a debt to JPW and rather mindless stamina. 295 Brussels sprouts plucked off stalks, trimmed and halved before roasting.

A friend asked me to assist her with the production of an "Orphans Thanksgiving", so for the first time in years, I'll have a Thanksgiving dinner with other humans. Usually I go to the movies and get chinese food.

So, my contributions are a Ginger Cheesecake I made on Saturday, Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup I made Sunday, and either tonight or tomorrow I'll make a Beet and Coriander puree. The hostess is contributing wine, The Bird (from Washington Green Grocers), Sage Dressing, Cranberry Compote, a Green Bean casserole, and the dining space. Probably about 9 people will attend.

• Like 1

I am going to my brother's house, where I know I will get looks for having a non-contagious sinus infection around their toddler.  Oh well!  I am making the pies, sauerkraut, and stuffing.  I like Giada's ciabatta bread stuffing, so that's what I will make.  If I can't find ciabatta at Whole Foods today (because man the Arlington HT was wiped out last night) I will just make it.  But the whole being sick for over a week has really drained a lot of my energy. Thank goodness for my best friend who is coming over to my house early and will help if needed.  She and MK are the best, very thankful for them!  

We've got a post Turkey Trot brunch and a dinner tomorrow, and I asked to do some gluten-free desserts instead of a veg side this year.  It always makes me sad that Mr. lperry hardly ever gets dessert on Thanksgiving, so M&M cookies are in the works for the brunch and an apple streusel pie for the dinner.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

• Like 1

As J pointed out to me this morning, this is probably the first Thanksgiving of my adult life that I plan to do no cooking at all. We declined an invitation to a cousin's house in Timonium--I'm not yet physically up for a long round-trip car ride. So we are going out to a nearby restaurant for dinner, albeit not for turkey. I am fine with it, though J seems somewhat wistful. Thanksgiving has always been his favorite holiday of the year, and we have always celebrated with having family come here, or traveled to be with them. I am hopeful that things will return to the usual state of things next year, although this getting older nonsense is unpredictable.

• Like 1

Zora, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, w/ the break, although I'm sure you cooked the whole dinner in your head. It's a different experience being a guest at someone else's dinner or a diner at a restaurant, but being thankful is something that happens every year, no matter where or who you eat with. Cheers, everyone...

• Like 1

TG ca. 1914

A centennial anniversary edition.

The finer of the lot:

Consommé Dubarry.

Smoked turkey neck, romanesco, green and white cauliflower.

15714861669_20b780638e.jpg

Turkey salmis: Roasted and picked turkey leg, tender gizzards, cranberries, Brussels sprouts and root vegetables in a kabocha squash gravy thickened with onions & rice;  Pont-neuf potatoes baked with caramelized onions, sprats and allspiced-heavy cream;  Maryland oyster stuffing with my ventrèche.

15901735052_4062f78298.jpg

15714470297_b2a712b50a.jpg

Turkey Wellington

Pastured turkey breast and a forcemeat made from the liver & trimmings, wrapped snug in collard greens and baked in savory pastry.

15899963505_dfa9835fe0.jpg

15714019449_3fd3b8d9c3.jpg

15897925041_0ae907f026.jpg

15280480663_98bb441328.jpg

Finished with blazing mince pie.  Dried fruit bound with suet, baked in a cornmeal and almond crust then set ablaze with VSOP Calvados.

Where's the picture of the flaming pie????

Also, where did you find the inspiration for this? We're all dying to know . . .

There was the annual turkey disaster this year but it really wasn't so bad.  Heritage bird from Whole Foods, picked up Monday, dry-brined using LA Times recipe (I laugh at language cops, so don't snark about dry brining).

Followed a new recipe from Serious Eats, put a baking stone on the oven shelf, preheat oven at 500 for an hour, put the turkey in the pan directly on the baking stone, use a RIMMED BAKING SHEET, NOT a roasting pan, and a v-shaped rack, turn the oven down to 300 and guess when it's going to be ready, with all those variables.  The beauty of the method was, unfortunately, undercut by the instruction to cook until the breast was 150 and the legs 165.  Done, and done, and it made a beautiful presentation, but it was still a little bloody.  So after everybody oohed and aaahed had to put it back in the oven and wonder some more.

When it was done, it was exceptional.  Very moist, meat dense and more turkey tasting than ever before, in a good way.  The skin was delectable, even days later.  I rubbed half a stick of butter under the breast skin and brushed the whole thing with melted ghee and Bell's poultry seasoning.  Did not need to baste it.

The big success was something I could not find a recipe for anywhere, so I winged it.  Wild rice dressing made like bread dressing, eggs and all.  While the rice is cooking, cut up and saute all the veggies in butter.  I used 2 bell peppers, three bunches green onion, one large yellow onion, enough celery to equal the volume of the above, one bunch flat leaf parsley, stems removed, leaves chopped.  Salt, pepper, about half a box of Bell's poultry seasoning, three eggs.  Cup and a half chopped toasted pecans.  Smooth it in the pan, pour melted butter on top.  Don't need broth, the rice is moist. Cover with foil, bake at 350 for half an hour, then remove and bake until done.  I tested it by tapping on top, and removed when it felt firm.  A big hit.

Gluten free bread always comes out gummy.  This is the first dressing I actually liked since giving up wheat.

We always have both roast beef and turkey, and make both beef gravy and turkey gravy.  If you don't like giblets or neck meat in your gravy, have beef.

The dry aged bone-in rib roast from the Fair Lakes Whole Foods was well worth $22.99 a pound.  Have the butcher cut it from the bone and tie it back on.  Cooks better that way, tastes better that way, to serve cut the strings and carve, boneless.

• Like 3

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  We had our usual two-night affair - Thursday was prime rib, green beans, roasted potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms (traditional Thanksgiving for my family - my late grandmother hated turkey), and Friday was turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, and cranberry sauce (my chefly brother-in-law and his mother put everything together).  All of the food was absolutely delicious - my mom got the beef and turkey from a specialty meat market this year (instead of a big chain grocery store), and the difference in quality was astounding.  Well worth the added cost.

I made my famous ginger chewies and a cranberry upside down cake.  I also took the prime rib bones and made beef stock and then beef barley soup - it was the best batch I've made in a long time.  Of course, just as I was getting accolades for my awesome soup, Chef David decided to turn the turkey leftovers into maybe the most amazing turkey noodle soup ever.  It's good AND bad having a chef in the family.  :D

• Like 2

Ginger chewies & cranberry upside down cake sound wonderful, recipes? I bet they'd be great together, too, a ginger chewy cranberry upside down cake. We had turkey, so I've been making tons of turkey stock. Lunch today was soup w/ turkey stock, turkey, bok choy, & mushrooms, w/ a hit of Sriracha- was great before the dogs jumped on the couch & flipped my soup.

First time staying at home *without* the kid, LOL!   Experimenting with recipes for next year’s Indian Thanksgiving in Chicago.  Tandoori turkey breast and cranberry chutney for sure.  Haven’t decided beyond that.  My Dad makes some really awesome matchstick asafoetida potatoes, so maybe I’ll hit him up for that recipe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smithhemb said:

First time staying at home *without* the kid, LOL!   Experimenting with recipes for next year’s Indian Thanksgiving in Chicago.  Tandoori turkey breast and cranberry chutney for sure.  Haven’t decided beyond that.  My Dad makes some really awesome matchstick asafoetida potatoes, so maybe I’ll hit him up for that recipe.

Green bean thoran. 

• Like 1

We started our T-day cooking in earnest today.

DSC03048-001.JPG.41b31da38ab8687e4e91d96cfc3d965c.JPG

DSC03052-001.JPG.8d8daac783f9536a1534ed27f7fd5988.JPG

DSC03054-001.JPG.4abec3de2edaa0c8f9f1d177c2498646.JPG

DSC03056-001.JPG.5a92c7444c8f2a137f6e060952a29818.JPG

DSC03069-001.JPG.2aa337d0e9f2a95545dc28623da8d7bd.JPG

DSC03078-001.JPG.3dd61e7c1f150380e10e8fb63d36a850.JPG

DSC03117-001.JPG.08a8859ba570558395a8fbbbd109925d.JPG

DSC03066-001.JPG.57ee85c2c9e39f00f406a69b6eb33683.JPG

DSC03121-001.JPG.44495860a18189b5b99e364a85a5fdc5.JPG

DSC03131-001.JPG.7c3649414436fc8cc273f295c5ab01d9.JPG

DSC03146-001.JPG.48b947430795a92e2903a721e98d9ee8.JPG

Brandied pumpkin pie.

Recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015413-brandied-pumpkin-pie

Not bad. This was the first pie I've ever baked and it turned out well.

DSC03101-001.JPG.447fae861b41bb9e3528216fe84a893a.JPG

DSC03106-001.JPG.0b53af739b87c59789f3df5019c125a0.JPG

DSC03126-001.JPG.dd927aa107de62278f89e78f4e1563f5.JPG

Non-traditional Thanksgiving menu for eight:

Crostini platter -

slow-roasted tomato and heirloom garlic with ricotta cheese;
olive, Meyer lemon and pistachio;
beet greens with chile and anchovy onion, anchovy and raisins

Braised brisket
Romano beans stewed in tomato sauce
Roasted potatoes with rosemary oil
Roasted yams with sage and garlic orange juice, butter and brown sugar

Brandied pumpkin pie
Warren pears poached in Malbec
Chocolate salami

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

DSC03206-001.JPG.6324763258cd813b4f1120ad4c3f160a.JPG

DSC03214-001.JPG.1bffe51fc7f9d78cc35b11f9a4ec2f6a.JPG

I'm hoping there's enough brisket. Some of our guests have prodigious appetites.

All looks beautiful.  The brisket looks great.  I've been "jonesing" for a traditional non barbecued brisket (a la the way my mom made it) and that brisket looks so good.   I'll get around to doing one of my own this cold season.

Brisket...so non traditional Thanksgivingish.  But boy it looks delish!!!!   Well done. 

I don't do photos either. Right now I'm roasting the vegetables for sides that I was planning to do yesterday:rolleyes:. Of all my big plans I had for day-before prep, the cranberry - orange - nut bread is the only thing that got made.

• Like 1

DSC03249-001.JPG.20a06b9cbc83efb6ebfe06cda6445657.JPG

Slow-roasted cherry tomato crostini with cow's milk ricotta cheese and salsa verde

DSC03261-001.JPG.8ace696dcf1e21cc85fc302082a087bb.JPG

Beet greens crostini with anchovy, onion and raisins

DSC03273-001.JPG.b09e948883fc9a53e4e0bd36b0bc2c25.JPG

Castelvetrano and Kalamata olive crostini with sheep's milk ricotta cheese, Meyer lemon and pine nuts

I had forgotten to get the pistachios yesterday; oh well

DSC03283-001.JPG.141f580814a5f18a0e0142426f67cebb.JPG

• Like 2