Sign in to follow this  
johnb

Stoney's Bar and Grill, Logan Circle - Super Grilled Cheese Moves to 14th and P Street, Another Branch at 21st and L Street

According to an ad in this morning's WP Weekend section, Stoney's will finally serve its last on January 14.

They give an email address (stoneysdc@gmail.com) where you can send your email address to eventually receive information on their re-opening somewhere, sometine in 2006.

Last call for delux grilled cheese sandwiches!

i was talking to tony (stoney's owner) just last week....stoney's will be closing its doors soon, but he hopes to reopen in a few months at 19th & I. I believe there is a coffee shop in the location now.

From yesterday's Sunday Source:

FAREWELL TO STONEY'S -- Friday, 11 a.m.-close. The 37-year-old Washington institution celebrates its final day of operation with an all day-all night fiesta. Stoney's Bar & Grill, 1307 L St. NW. Free. 202-347-9163.

Note the start time is earlier than that listed on Daily Candy...

Stoney's is dead, long live Stoney's.

They took over the French Bistro (P St between 14th & 15th), papered the windows and are assumedly tarnishing the fixtures, nicking up the bar and adding layers of grime to the caulk in the bathroom as I type...

So, does anyone have any dirt on when the they're gonna open up? I live so close and can't wait to have a seedy straight bar to duck into.

Thanks.

Alex

Stoney's is dead, long live Stoney's.

They took over the French Bistro (P St between 14th & 15th), papered the windows and are assumedly tarnishing the fixtures, nicking up the bar and adding layers of grime to the caulk in the bathroom as I type...

So, does anyone have any dirt on when the they're gonna open up? I live so close and can't wait to have a seedy straight bar to duck into.

Thanks.

Alex

Grilled Cheese Sandwich, cup of Chili, onion rings.

WooHoo!

Looks like we're close to opening day. Walked by (twice) this evening. The paper's down off of the windows and the interior looks finished. Stoney's is green! Tables are set up and the bar seems fully stocked. Although there were people inside, it didn't look open when a young guy tried to open the door.

I think this new location has dive potential. Yes, it's across from Whole Foods, and it's a bit brightly lit now for my taste, but a few good months of spilled beer and built up grease should give it the "charm" it needs.

I'm going by again tomorrow to see if they'll let me in. Will post back!

Looks like we're close to opening day. Walked by (twice) this evening. The paper's down off of the windows and the interior looks finished. Stoney's is green! Tables are set up and the bar seems fully stocked. Although there were people inside, it didn't look open when a young guy tried to open the door.

I think this new location has dive potential. Yes, it's across from Whole Foods, and it's a bit brightly lit now for my taste, but a few good months of spilled beer and built up grease should give it the "charm" it needs.

I'm going by again tomorrow to see if they'll let me in. Will post back!

A few different staff members have told me it's tomorrow, so maybe you'll be in luck.

Edited because I talked to Moe. He said they've been cooking lots of food and are ready to go. He's opening the doors tomorrow at 11 AM (Monday).

A few different staff members have told me it's tomorrow, so maybe you'll be in luck.

Edited because I talked to Moe. He said they've been cooking lots of food and are ready to go. He's opening the doors tomorrow at 11 AM (Monday).

Awesome! I'll be there in ~ 5 hours.

Alex

Awesome! I'll be there in ~ 5 hours.

Alex

Good, because it turns out they decided to open in the afternoon instead :) They should be open by now, but maybe give a call and make sure (except I have no idea what the number is).

Good, because it turns out they decided to open in the afternoon instead :) They should be open by now, but maybe give a call and make sure (except I have no idea what the number is).

Tonight is the night, according to the very apologetic, hand-lettered sign I read on the locked door last night...

Alex

I walked by - didn't have time to go in - they're open!

I scrambled in last night around 7:30 (post-Paradiso, pre-Borat) and enjoyed a draft Red Hook ESB and an $8 burger-and-fries. Though I was several Aventinuses (Aventini?) deep by the time I got to Stoney's, I can report that the burger was a juicy, cooked-to-order medium rare, there were a few cheese options and on a scale of greaseless-to-5 guys, it was appropriately greasy.

Moreover, the place was packed, the staff was excited and, even though the bathrooms were all gleaming porcelain and unchipped tile, it felt like a nice, neighborhood bar, and one I'll certainly return to. Bonaire is right -- they're only a few months of wear-and-tear away from dive bar atmosphere.

Sadly, I did not take note of the specials, the list of beers on tap or anything along those lines... Perhaps someone else can fill in these details?

Alex

Can I express how happy I am to be able to walk on a rainy day for lunch at Stoney's and get a bowl of Maryland crab soup and a gooey grilled cheese? Oh so happy. :)

I'm waiting for the divey-ness to develop. It's not there yet by a long shot, but I'll be going regularly until they're grime enough... :)

I am deeply skeptical that anything in Logan Circle can become a dive these days, barring a massive economic depression that bankrupts a few thousand local residents. The hookers will never hang out at the new Stoney's. Heck, there's hardly any hookers left in that 'hood to hang out there. (Anybody else remember when the Vegas Lounge was a strip bar?). And no smoking after New Year's, so the place will never smell right for a dive.

On the other hand, "neighborhood" bars are as rare and treasured as true dives in DC, and the food is usually better.

Stoney's is dead! Long live Stoney's!

I am deeply skeptical that anything in Logan Circle can become a dive these days, barring a massive economic depression that bankrupts a few thousand local residents. The hookers will never hang out at the new Stoney's. Heck, there's hardly any hookers left in that 'hood to hang out there. (Anybody else remember when the Vegas Lounge was a strip bar?). And no smoking after New Year's, so the place will never smell right for a dive.

On the other hand, "neighborhood" bars are as rare and treasured as true dives in DC, and the food is usually better.

Stoney's is dead! Long live Stoney's!

Will not your presense add a little something ,um, special? Not that anyone can imagine that you will be (a long, long time in future) the old fart saying "Fun? You kids don't know anything about having fun. Why, I remember when the mayor showed up with two hookers ..."

Went to Stoney's tonight for the first time! I was glad that I convinced my husband to come here instead of the Cheesecake Factory.

I had the super grilled cheese, and it was so wonderfully greasy and incredibly rich and very salty. I'm glad I had it, just to say that I did, although I'll probably never eat it again. We also had wet fries, and while we were disappointed that the gravy was not of the cream variety, the brown gravy was perfectly serviceable.

This place isn't a dive, its a faux dive, to paraphrase the Simpsons. Fine with me, though! Its good to have place that's fun with good food to boot.

This place isn't a dive, its a faux dive, to paraphrase the Simpsons.

But give it a few months and the grime may start to build - I noticed ketchup splatters on the freshly painted walls beside my table. And I was impressed. laugh.gif

Our two-top ordered entrees from different ends of the menu--the Super Grilled Cheese (cheese, bacon, and onions) for me and the Spinach Salad + Chicken for him. We both left happy, sated, and pleased that a decent, friendly, and affordable place had relocated to the neighborhood.

On a different note, and for reasons completely unrelated to food, I'm interested to see who constitutes Stoney's clientele a few months from now. Let's just say their patrons didn't match Logan's demographics. I wonder if that will change over time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this