Dining in New York City

8) While most kids would like Serendipity 3 it's not very convenient if you are there just for a weekend. I'd recommend (echoing Blake again) taking a trip down to the Chelsea Market. Jacques Torres just opened an outpost and serves much better hot chocolate than Serendipity 3 (imho). Plus the Chelsea Market offers an absurd amount of choices for dining, casual and fine (if you include the nearby meatpacking district). Also, it is like a fabulous farmers' market.

Now... I'm hungry. Keep us posted on your trip! How fun...

While Serendiptiy 3 is a shlep if you aren't staying in that part of the city, around the corner is Dylan's Candy Bar, proof that brilliant marketing can sell any candy.

I'm also with Waitman on Chelsea Market, didn't get the hype.

Make sure to bring home some slices for the lunch box the next day. Even cold and floppy NY pizza is still good.

I will be making many trips up to St. Vincent's Hospital (170 W 12th St) over the next few months to visit a family member. I am looking for good lunch places for a solo within walking distance of the hospital. Most lunches will be quick, but I also welcome recommendations for more leisurely lunches. I have already done Gray's Papaya and Famous Ray's.

I would be walking over to Num Pang every single day. Every sandwich I have tried there has been fantastic. Not a traditional Banh Mi but so so much better. If you want a waiter service lunch hit Cafe Asean. Great food very nice atmosphere (especially the greenhouse/garden seating they have in the back) and cheap enough that you can go every day. Also you can easily grab Murrays bagels for breakfast. It is only a block or two from St. Vincents. If you ever want to kill an hour or two walk down 7th about 10 minutes and there are just a ton of options. Wilfie and Nell, Mary's Fish Camp, Cafe Condessa and Gottino are all in that region south of the hospital and north of the Christopher St. Station. I have really enjoyed the first three and have heard great things about the fourth. Also the place where I buy my coffee beans is one block north of the hospital. It is called Irving Mill. Really good coffee and espresso, some egg sandwiches and pretty good baked goods. I spend a lot of time in that area so if I remember something else I will let you know.

If the weather isn't prohibitive and you aren't too time constrained I would seriously urge you to push south of Christopher Street Station at least one day. Starting at the station, heading south and taking a left on Bleecker will take you past Mercadito Grove, Hummus Place, Bleecker St. Pizza (my favorite single slice pizza in NYC so far), Joe's Pizza, Blind Tiger (one of the best beer bars in Manhattan with some food which I have never tried), Keste, this really good hot dog/korean fusion place (will look up the name later), Murray's Cheese, Amy's Bread and Grom. Just a murderers row.

I'm also with Waitman on Chelsea Market, didn't get the hype.

I admit it is kind of anti-climatic, especially on weekdays. On weekends there always seems to be more going on like demonstrations, designer sample sales, Food Network filming, tastings, free salsa lessons (the dance not the food) etc. But I do admit I was let down as well the first time I went. I think it was the word "market". Now I just try to think of it as a really awesome food court servicing High-Line walkers and I am less disappointed.

Esca has not closed.

I swear... up and down... when I looked into it at Thanksgiving it was not open and the website was down. Ugh... I would so much more have enjoyed Esca than Bar Americain. (I called the restaurant too...)

Regardless, thanks for causing me to do another search.

I haven't been to the city in 10+ years, and this is my kids first trip (ages 10, 12). So we need to check everything off in one long weekend:

.....What are the other must-hits for kids?

Help, please!

I don't know if this would interest you, but if you want the kids to have a "finer dining experience" a source I trust just did the $35 3 course prefixe meal at Gramercy Tavern and said it was great. It's only available in the tavern though, not in the main dining room.

I know this is really last minute (bad Jen for waiting so long), but figured I'll give it a shot anyway. I'm leaving in the morning for a wkd in NYC. Having a late lunch at Le Bernardin upon arrival, but no other food plans have been made simply b/c I'm meeting up with various friends and schedules are as yet to be determined. One thing I was thinking about, I've never had banh mi and I've heard it's really hard to find good ones here, so I was thinking maybe nyc might be a good place to find it. Any ideas or am I totally off base?

Also, has anyone eaten at Le Bernardin (particularly recently)? Any specific menu suggestions, or would just love to hear your overall impression. My hope is that recent hype from Jen being on Top Chef hasn't caused any problems in the kitchen, but I was assume in a place with that reputation it would not. Also, I was told that dress is jacket required for men, business casual bare minimum for women. Normally I'll take any excuse to get dressed up and put on my highest heels, but I'm trying to be practical given that we'll be walking all through the city. Do you think I'll feel underdressed if I go in a casual dress?

Also, any good recommendations for places in the East Village, in any price range? We're staying right by the Whole Foods on Eldgridge St @ Houston. I know one of my friends who will be traveling with me is a fan of a pizza place near there (I think the one he mentioned is Lombardi's), but we'll only do pizza once I would think.

Any thoughts on DB Bistro?

Other than that, I guess just any recommendations of places you think should not be missed if you were cramming everything into one weekend? I know, could I be more vague. :angry: Thanks!

Jen! You are staying in a great foodie location. I heart the lower east side. You are near all or most of David Chang's restaurants. Regardless of the waits momufuko and its siblings are worth it. There are many other good places including Katz's deli and Russ and daughters down there.

In nolita there are some great places like la esquana for Mexican. You should try rice to riches while there.

I'm reapponding from my blackberry but you should check urbanspoon for more info.

I know this is really last minute (bad Jen for waiting so long), but figured I'll give it a shot anyway. I'm leaving in the morning for a wkd in NYC. Having a late lunch at Le Bernardin upon arrival, but no other food plans have been made simply b/c I'm meeting up with various friends and schedules are as yet to be determined. One thing I was thinking about, I've never had banh mi and I've heard it's really hard to find good ones here, so I was thinking maybe nyc might be a good place to find it. Any ideas or am I totally off base?

Also, has anyone eaten at Le Bernardin (particularly recently)? Any specific menu suggestions, or would just love to hear your overall impression. My hope is that recent hype from Jen being on Top Chef hasn't caused any problems in the kitchen, but I was assume in a place with that reputation it would not. Also, I was told that dress is jacket required for men, business casual bare minimum for women. Normally I'll take any excuse to get dressed up and put on my highest heels, but I'm trying to be practical given that we'll be walking all through the city. Do you think I'll feel underdressed if I go in a casual dress?

Also, any good recommendations for places in the East Village, in any price range? We're staying right by the Whole Foods on Eldgridge St @ Houston. I know one of my friends who will be traveling with me is a fan of a pizza place near there (I think the one he mentioned is Lombardi's), but we'll only do pizza once I would think.

Other than that, I guess just any recommendations of places you think should not be missed if you were cramming everything into one weekend? I know, could I be more vague. :angry: Thanks!

Despite winning some serious foodie blogger praise last summer, we weren't quite as impressed with the pizza at Staten Island's Salvatore of Soho (not to be confused with Salvatore's of Soho) on a recent visit. To be fair, pizzaiolo Salvatore Ganci wasn't personally manning the oven on our visit, but the baking wasn't an issue with our pies. In fact, they were perfectly blistered without being seriously burnt.

Ganci, a former pizzaiolo at Lombardi's, designed a custom hybrid gas/coal oven for his new venture. Outwardly it looks like a number of other NYC/New Haven ovens, with a prominent dome set over a massive base covered in glossy white tile, with cast iron doors for the oven cavity and firebox. The firebox is for burning coal, but the oven is primarily gas-fired. It gets hot too - with the main door open, I could see flames periodically lick across the ceiling of the cavity. The novelty of this oven is that the dome is in the form of a split toroid, and its floor is comprised of a large metal disc that slowly revolves around the cavity.

As for the pizzas, we tried a small clam pie and a fresh tomato / basil / onion pie. The clam pie had potential but seemed overtopped to me, and the clam pieces too large and too thick to absorb the heat. I think they used whole small clams, instead of chopping them a bit. As a result, each bite seemed somewhat cool if not cold. The other pie was tasty but strangely muted...it just didn't have any zing to it. I suspect they just didn't use enough sauce, because the little dish of marinara they supplied with the bread basket was plenty perky.

I liked the crust...good flavor, nice chew, although it could have shown a little more oven spring.

Salvatore of Soho is at 1880 Hylan Blvd., about six minutes from the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

post-710-126289955101_thumb.jpg

small clam pizza

Incidentally, Frank Pepe's fifth location is now open in Yonkers. We just couldn't quite find it in ourselves this week to make the trip.

Jen! You are staying in a great foodie location. I heart the lower east side. You are near all or most of David Chang's restaurants. Regardless of the waits momufuko and its siblings are worth it. There are many other good places including Katz's deli and Russ and daughters down there.

In nolita there are some great places like la esquana for Mexican. You should try rice to riches while there.

I'm reapponding from my blackberry but you should check urbanspoon for more info.

Thanks! Regarding Momofuku - I have heard the buzz, but don't know anything about them. If we just wanted to pop into a place for lunch or brunch, what would be the easiest/cheapest? The one concern I have is that I'm not necessarily on a budget (although I can't do Le Bernardin prices all weekend), but my friends who live in NYC are so I have to be considerate of them. There will be some opportunities to eat without them though.

Jen,

The nice thing about new york is you can eat incredibly well for very little money. One of David Chang's places is relatively cheap. I think its the ssam bar. Mmmm pork bun with eco friendly pork.

Consult time out new york and the new york mag cheap eats issues.

Thanks! Regarding Momofuku - I have heard the buzz, but don't know anything about them. If we just wanted to pop into a place for lunch or brunch, what would be the easiest/cheapest? The one concern I have is that I'm not necessarily on a budget (although I can't do Le Bernardin prices all weekend), but my friends who live in NYC are so I have to be considerate of them. There will be some opportunities to eat without them though.

Thanks, everyone for the awesome suggestions!

Nancy - I've thought about the half-price tickets thing, but this is a solo-parent weekend; my wife is running a marathon in Austin that weekend, so I'm taking the kids to NYC. And we already have (discounted) Phantom tickets for Sat 2p, so not sure about catching a second show. but La Bonne Soupe before sounds like a great idea!

Re-read this and was terrified by your "everything in one weekend" comment. My kids are, admittedly, slackers, but at that age (and frankly, still, and even for me) more than two serious activities in a day bread crankiness and you tend to find yourself pulling them away from some random activity that they're enjoying (just walking through Chinatown or SoHo, for example) for one their "supposed to do" which in counterproductive for harmony, especially if you don't have spouse to ditch them on while you find a martini. Also, the Statue and Tim Burton are likely to be insanely crowded, which ups the stress factor.

I had a friend who went to DB Bistro and loved it, FWIW.

In addition to the Momfuko Ssam, (as NCP suggested, which is great), recall that you are within blocks of Chinatown and all the inexpensive-yet-better-than-DC Chinese food you could ever eat. Best p/v meal ever: Prosperity Dumpling. I've always wanted to try Russ and Daughters,even closer, for the Kosher deli thing. I haven't eaten there but pass it along for your consideration. I assume it's closed Saturday.

Le Bernardin has three Michelin stars: dress up. At this price point you will want to.

I've always wanted to try Russ and Daughters,even closer, for the Kosher deli thing. I haven't eaten there but pass it along for your consideration. I assume it's closed Saturday.

You know I love you but Russ and Daughters is the apetizing store (lox, caviar, etc.) and Katz's is the deli where Rob Riner's mother decided to, "have what she's having." Neither is kosher and both are open on Saturdays.

One thing I was thinking about, I've never had banh mi and I've heard it's really hard to find good ones here, so I was thinking maybe nyc might be a good place to find it. Any ideas or am I totally off base?

Num Pang on 12th. Mentioned it upthread. I have been to 2 or three well-regarded, more traditional banh mi locations (including Nickys which is close to where you will be staying) around town. They were all very good but none of them came close to Num Pang.

Scratch Lombardi's and go to the new Motorino. You could also hit Caracas Arepas (1st ave and 3rd). Very affordable (50 bucks for drinks, appetizer and dinner for 2) and very good. If you get there after 6-6:30 prepare to wait for at least 30-45 minutes up to an hour outside. I will tell you a secret that for some reason people have yet to figure out in my last few visits. You can wait around the corner at Wechslers (on 1st). Grab a couple german beers and split a curry wurst while the rest of the people in line shiver. Just make sure and get back 10 minutes or so before your quoted time is up. FYI wechslers is cash only as are a surprising number of smaller restaurants in NYC. After dinner walk you could back towards Houston on 1st and stop at 3rd st at this place called the bean for really good coffee or a dirty chai. If you want to catch some after dinner music go to the Living Room just south of Houston. Very mixed crowd (some hipsters, some old hippies) and a mixed bag with the music (I stayed for three sets on my last visit, A sheryl crow knock off, an awesome looping cello player, and left during a U2 cover band) If there is a well known band playing they might charge a cover. They usually have a few solid local beer choices on tap such as Kelso or Six Point.

*Also if you get tired of waiting for Caracas, like I did one time before I discovered Wechslers, the place Luke's which is next door has good crab shack type fair. Lobster rolls, oysters etc.

Noodle Bar for Ramen. Also if you just want to try the steamed buns you can get them at Milk Bar (the dessert place).

Thank you to everyone who had feedback and suggestions. Sadly the wkd was too short (and I'm not wealthy enough) to fit in as much food as I would have liked, but we did have our meal at Le Bernardin and we stopped at both Milk and Ssam. We also had brunch at Supper in East Village, which I won't describe in detail, but it has some unique options and twists rather than your standard brunch fare.

Le Bernardin was phenomenal. Service was seamless, dishes were amazing, wine pairings were spot on, everything was just fantastic from beginning to end (including them holding the kitchen for 15 minutes since we had the last seating and were late - thank you very much Amtrak for that embarassment!). I started with calamari stuffed with sweet prawns and shiitake mushrooms with a calamari consomme, paired with a chablis. The consomme was the highlight although everything was delicious. My friend started with an amazing dish off of the raw section - a kampachi tartare on marinated japanese cucumbers with an aged citrus vinegar. The dish was tart, citrusy (lots of lime) and just really delicious paired with a spatlese riesling.

Second course for my friend was a nori crusted skate with poached oysters and braised winter greens with a ponzu vinaigrette. I found the dish too citrusy for my tastes, but the oyster with the braised greens was fantastic (and I am not a huge oyster fan). My second course - oh, my second course...the best dish I have ever eaten, I can't do it justice. 2 perfectly seared (med rare) pieces of hiramasa served with a black truffle risotto, these delicate little bites of tender, but not overcooked vegetables (brussels sprout leaves, carrots, mushrooms, and I think turnips) and a creamy black truffle sauce (sadly the online menu doesn't reflect teh current form of this dish so I don't know the exact description of the sauce). It was paired with a premier cru white burgundy that really wowed me, both on its own and with the dish.

I thought the plates were quite generous, especially my second course so by dessert I was surprisingly full and was looking for something light. I went with the recommendation of one of hte servers and got the yogurt dish. It didn't disappoint in its lightness, and the basil ice cream was particularly refreshing. The base was a yogurt parfait served with blueberries and topped with a sponge "cake" somehow made out of yogurt (it was really more like pieces of yogurt cake fluffiness). My friend got the chocolate chicory, which when all of the components were eaten together blended flavors of dark chocolate, coffee, and orange. My dessert was paired with a slightly sweet sparkling wine - reminded me a bit of a moscato d'asti, but drier and somewhat less effervescent. My friend had a port style wine made from grenache.

I have photos of all of our food if anyone is interested. They turned out poorly b/c I was learning how to use a camera I had borrowed from a friend, so many are somewhat out of focus or overexposed, but I can post if people are interested. The plates were certainly beautiful. Oh, and I did get a glimpse of Eric Ripert at the end of our meal. He came out to talk to another table and was then photographed posing in the coat check window. :angry: I have to admit, I'm not typically a person to get caught up in seeing stars, but I was pretty excited to see him in the flesh simply because I have admired him for some time.

Whew, wordy. I will post info on our meal at Ssam later if people are interested.

Oh, I meant to say that one of the things that really impressed me were the way the flavors came together so beautifully when you had a bite of everything in your dish. This was the case with every single dish, although more true in some cases in others (the chocolate dessert in particular). For me, the best dishes of the meal, the truly exceptional ones, were the ones that did this but also were outstanding with each individual bite (namely the hiramasa and the kampachi).

This year the Allman Brothers are setting up shop at the United Palace Theater. Anyone have any good recommendations for food and/or drink in Washington Heights or Inwood?

I'd investigated the area pretty heavily via the MenuPages website in December, hoping to dine up there before a Dylan show. Didn't come up with any clear winners within budget range, though I'd found a couple of possibilities. In the event, we dined in Chelsea & took the A train up to the show afterwards, which all worked out very smoothly.

181 Cabrini was one of the places I was considering. There seem to be some good South American places in the area but my friend wasn't into that.

The venue is remarkable, I bet you'll enjoy it.

Help! I need quick feedback on the following restaurants. We'll be going to one on a Saturday night.

Il Mulino ($$$$)

Ko (fat chance)

Perry Street

Peasant

Allen & Delancey

Strip House

Also, Joe's Shanghai or Nice Green Bo for soup dumplings? What about ramen suggestions that aren't Ippodu? Finally, looking for suggestions for Palena-esque restaurant near Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn.

Help! I need quick feedback on the following restaurants. We'll be going to one on a Saturday night.

Il Mulino ($$$$)

Ko (fat chance)

Perry Street

Peasant

Allen & Delancey

Strip House

Also, Joe's Shanghai or Nice Green Bo for soup dumplings? What about ramen suggestions that aren't Ippodu? Finally, looking for suggestions for Palena-esque restaurant near Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn.

Of the restaurants mentioned, I've been to Il Mulino and more recently to Peasant. I really enjoyed Peasant as the food reminded me of some of some of the dishes I ate in Florence. We had great service, but then again, we were there on a weeknight and not a week-end when it's usually packed.

Another recommendation--though not on your list--is Pylos (Greek restaurant in the East Village) I had dinner there last Friday and it was phenomenal. Great ambiance, comfort food, and wine list (if you like Greek wine, that is). Will post more about Pylos later. Hope you have a great time. .

P.S. For ramen, I like Ippudo and also Ramen Setagaya. I don't like Momofuku Noodle bar at all. I once had an extremely salty ramen there that was absolutely inedible.

Il Mulino ($$$$)

Ko (fat chance)

Perry Street

Peasant

Allen & Delancey

Strip House

Peasant would be my first choice, followed by Allen & Delancey. I'd stay away from Il Mulino, honestly, especially on a Saturday night.

Il Mulino ($$$$)

Ko (fat chance)

Perry Street

Peasant

Allen & Delancey

Strip House

I like Perry Street. I've gone there every one of my last several trips to NYC...but only for lunch. I don't know what it would be like for dinner. I like the space, the service, the food.

My wife and I went to Trattoria Trecolori in the Theater District (254 W 47th St; 212-997-4540) on Saturday night, before seeing 'Hair." We absolutely loved it. Service was great, food was excellent, and prices were very reasonable. I liked the double-size martini, too, which was only $11.00.

I had one of the specials: fettucine with clams, shrimp, and garlic, which cost $19.00. Our only negative is the noise level is fairly high, with all the hard surfaces in the place. Trattoria Trecolori will be a "must" for our next trip to New York.

My current favorite dim sum place in Chinatown is Dim Sum Go Go. Dumb name, but great dim sum. The roast duck dumplings are worth the trip alone. And by that I mean the trip to NYC. They don't do carts, everything is made fresh to order, and there's are photos on the menu if you're unsure of what everything is. 5 E. Broadway, on the east side of Chatham Square.

I hate to be a dim sum snob but I have been to places in California, into many Chinese populated areas, and have sat amongst the masses of dim sum critics and connoisseurs. Some say dim sum is dim sum but Jade Asian Restaurant in Flushing, Queens is fantastic. They do the carts, and the rest of the song and dance, and I have always had a great time, great food and great services...I also speak a little Chinese so maybe that helped a little :angry: If you're in Queens, I recommend. I have no been to the place recommended above but also look forward to it.

We're heading to NYC this Saturday and meeting up with friends. Thing is, they found a babysitter for only a few hours don't necessarily have the time for a long wait if we go to Momofuku Ssam or Motorino, which could easily be packed with folks. If eating on the early side is okay (i.e., 5:30 to 6:00), how likely will we have to wait at either of those two places?

Right now, OpenTable has a reservation available at Convivio for 6:00. Should I just take that, or gamble on Ssam/Motorino (which are just around the corner from each other)?

Or is there an even better option that I've failed to consider? Our preference is to stay on the east side if possible.

We're heading to NYC this Saturday and meeting up with friends. Thing is, they found a babysitter for only a few hours don't necessarily have the time for a long wait if we go to Momofuku Ssam or Motorino, which could easily be packed with folks. If eating on the early side is okay (i.e., 5:30 to 6:00), how likely will we have to wait at either of those two places?

Right now, OpenTable has a reservation available at Convivio for 6:00. Should I just take that, or gamble on Ssam/Motorino (which are just around the corner from each other)?

One Saturday at around 6pm we walked up to Motorino after being quoted an hour wait at Caracas Arepas. Motorino said it would only be about twenty minutes so we defected. This was about three weeks after they had opened the East Village location. I can't make any promises but I haven't had that much trouble going before 6-6:30.

One Saturday at around 6pm we walked up to Motorino after being quoted an hour wait at Caracas Arepas. Motorino said it would only be about twenty minutes so we defected. This was about three weeks after they had opened the East Village location. I can't make any promises but I haven't had that much trouble going before 6-6:30.

If needed, another good option in the immediate vicinity is Redhead (on E.13th betw.1st-2nd Aves). At that hour, it's usually doable to walk in and get seated within 15 minutes at any of these places.

Or is there an even better option that I've failed to consider? Our preference is to stay on the east side if possible.

No idea on waits at Ssam since we arrived right as they opened on a Sunday morning (11:30), but if you do go, make sure you get the brussels sprouts (or apparently sometimes it's made with cauliflower instead - served dressed with a fish sauce vinaigrette and spicy rice krispies).

A simply wonderful meal at Katsuhama on 55th in NYC. 3 of us ate a lot for under $100 drinks included. Katshama specializes in Katsu: fried pork {kurobota or Berkshire} deep fried ad serves in several fashions. I recommend the loin over the tenderloinand either the set course fried or the rice bowl version are wonderful. You get cabbage witht he fried plate on the set course along with incredible miso soup, very nice but simple pickle and a pile of cabbage that you can dres with bottles of sesame dressing on the tabl. But as good as the fried pork, there are myriad small plates. We had marinated octopus in wasabi spiked ponzu, shredded dailkon with ume plum paste, marinated simmered eggplant all accompanied by a selection of cold sakes served in a glass with a masu. If you ask they fill the masu and then fill your glass anyways. Perhaps the most unusual part of the meal was a deep fried pork rib that was chewy yet not tough.

I headed to NYC today for respite from the snow. No, really I had a meeting but I was thrilled to get away from the Town that Snow Ate f/k/a Washington DC. It was a fun and productive day but no trip to New York is complete without a stop at Ceci Cela. I told myself after all the baking I did during the Snowpocalypse that I would resist Ceci Cela and its divine pastries. Alas, my willpower is no match to the perfect pastries at Ceci Cela. One bite of the palmier was not enough and I've finished it. If you find yourself in NOLITA, its a worthy stop.

I'll be trying Babbo's pasta tasting menu in June, so I'd appreciate some feedback also.

I liked the atmosphere at Ippudo more than the ramen - based on one visit each, I strongly preferred Momofuku Noodle Bar which is much smaller. That said, this was back when David Chang had only one restaurant, so who knows?

The thing about Momo Noodle Bar is that if someone doesn't want to eat ramen, there are plenty of other excellent choices on the menu. I recently blogged about our "new year" meal at Noodle Bar, where we found the food to be as good, if not better, than ever before...click here.

At this point, Ippudo is generally considered the best of the "ramen" places - Setagaya, Rai-Rai Ken and various others don't do a bad job either.

deangold mentions Katsuhama above (he must've been reading Sietsema - not Tom, btw) and it is THE place to go for tonkatsu. The newer location that dean was at also offers lots of other menu items, but for a Japanese food fix like that, I like the Tottos... particularly Soba Totto, where I can also satisfy my soba cravings.

And I totally second Steve R.'s recommendation for Redhead.

As far as Babbo goes, I'd do the regular tasting menu over the pasta tasting menu - you're going to get plenty of pasta on the standard tasting menu, but you'll really miss out on the non-pasta dishes if you only get pasta. That being said, the filled pastas are excellent, particularly the goose liver ravioli - if it's not on the tasting menu, it's worth ordering a separate portion or negotiating for it to be one of the courses.

(The filled pasta on the regular tasting menu is often the mint love letters, which I don't personally care for, but the general critical opinion is that they're really good as well.) I also really liked the pumpkin lune.

I liked the atmosphere at Ippudo more than the ramen - based on one visit each, I strongly preferred Momofuku Noodle Bar which is much smaller. That said, this was back when David Chang had only one restaurant, so who knows?

I like the actual noodles at Ippudo better than those at Momofuku but Momofuku's broth and pork toppings are better than Ippudo. That being said, I think they are very close in quality. I typically find whichever one I am currently eating at to be the best.

Re Otto: I highly recommend the pasta dish with pulled pork shoulder and tomato. Beth has ordered that dish all of the three or four times we have been there while I have tried to venture out and try other dishes. The dishes I have tried have all been good but I always end up trying to negotiate some kind of halfsies swap for some of the pork shoulder pasta.

...Re Otto: I highly recommend the pasta dish with pulled pork shoulder and tomato. Beth has ordered that dish all of the three or four times we have been there while I have tried to venture out and try other dishes. The dishes I have tried have all been good but I always end up trying to negotiate some kind of halfsies swap for some of the pork shoulder pasta.

For what it's worth, I like Otto more than Lupa & we go to both pretty often. Lupa's pastas tend to be saltier, the veggie small dishes at Otto are much better (& with more variety) and Otto's wines by the glass are usually better chosen. Of course, Otto also has the full selection of Meredith's gelato and copettas, while Lupa only has one or two. Both are comfortable places, but we like eating at the bar better at Otto as well.

I will try to post with more detail when I have time, but my wife and I were sick of DC this past weekend and made our way to New York. Dinners at Bianca and Momofuku Ko, lunch at Katz's and Serafina's Fabulous Pizza. Two of the four were really, really good, Ko was ridiculous and Serafina was fine (not a destination, just happened to be near the museums we were at). Getting a reservation at Momofuku didn't prove as difficult as I feared. I actually had two at one point, one for Friday and one for Sunday. I think it just takes determination and a fast internet connection. Highly, highly recommend it. I'll be back with a more detailed description of the experience.

Braved a 90 minute wait for a table at Otto...very nice meal

from the antipasti section we enjoyed:

Eggplant Caponatina, funghi misti, roast peppers and capers, anchovies and bread crumbs, roasted beets. The calamari and potato, and broccoli rabe were not worth ordering.

The mushroom and tallegio pizza was very good and sampled a slice of the pepperoni and pasta with pork shoulder, both also good.

7 antipasti, 2 pizzas, pasta, and a dessert plus a bottle of wine come to $40 inclusive each for 4 people...of course we dropped a $100 on wine waiting for a table...guess there are multiple reasons why Batali is a successful restaurant owner!

one tip, make sure once your table is announced on the train board that you immediately go over and claim it...you have a five minute window or they move on to the next name on the list. and yes that is not enough time to pay for your bar check and wander over to the host stand. we had to fight it out to get our table!

walk-in, 8:30 on a Saturday night...so we weren't expecting to get seated immediately!

Last time Beth and I went we were with a couple of friends who came up from DC. We walked in on Friday night at around 7 and Bobby Flay walked in right behind us with three 14-15 year old girls. Both of our parties were without reservations. Bobby's wait: 5 minutes. Our wait: 90 minutes. Jerk. Not that I would refuse if I were famous, but it's fun to hate ESPECIALLY on him, so...jerk.

Braved a 90 minute wait for a table at Otto...very nice meal

from the antipasti section we enjoyed:

Eggplant Caponatina, funghi misti, roast peppers and capers, anchovies and bread crumbs, roasted beets. The calamari and potato, and broccoli rabe were not worth ordering.

The mushroom and tallegio pizza was very good and sampled a slice of the pepperoni and pasta with pork shoulder, both also good.

7 antipasti, 2 pizzas, pasta, and a dessert plus a bottle of wine come to $40 inclusive each for 4 people...of course we dropped a $100 on wine waiting for a table...guess there are multiple reasons why Batali is a successful restaurant owner!

one tip, make sure once your table is announced on the train board that you immediately go over and claim it...you have a five minute window or they move on to the next name on the list. and yes that is not enough time to pay for your bar check and wander over to the host stand. we had to fight it out to get our table!

Nice ordering. For anyone going in the future, I'd recommend making sure that you have room for dessert and that the dessert be gelato. Meredith makes the best olive oil gelato (really) in NYC and the rest of the changing flavors are usually worth exploring. The coppettas are more involved and also well worth it.

Will be near Columbia University very briefly this weekend. Anybody have any favorites for the area? Could be anything: a great cup of coffee, slice of pizza, beer joint, specialty store, etc. Thanks!

Over on the east side, one of the old coal-oven warhorses, Patsy's. 2287 1st Ave (between 117th St & 118th St). One of the few places you can get coal-oven pizza by the slice.

I had one of the most amazing dining experiences this past weekend in NY- We went to Sik Gaek, a Korean restaurant in Flushing in Queens.

They are famous for their Chul Pan, or "iron plate" cooking- comparable to shabu shabu or Chinese hot pot. They are also well know for dishes with live octopus!

The atmosphere of the place was convivial with everyone eating large pots of seafood and stews and drinking beer and soju.

We ordered the San Nakji- live octopus, legs cut up and brought to tableside still moving with garlic, jalapeno and dipping sauces (gochuchang or the sesame oil & salt). The fact that the octopus was so fresh made it so delicious.

We also got the Nak Bool Combi Chulpan, a large hotpot of spicy broth chock full of seafood (mussels, giant clams, shrimp, baby octopus), veggies (cabbage, bean sprouts, cucumber), rice duplings and udon noodles. Ours had raw ribeye beef and the piece de resistance was a single live octopus plopped on top.

It took about 5 minutes to cook and the result was so delicious. My favorite part was the rice dumplings eaten at the end of the meal after they had soaked for an hour.

Their soju selection was good too- we had a cucumber infused soju, but next time we need to order the watermelon soju that's served from half a melon.

pics and video!!

161-29 Crocheron Ave.

Flushing, New York, NY‎

(718) 321-7770‎