Dining in New York City

Where is the recommended spot for dim sum in NYC these days?

Yes, there are fine places in Manhattan's C'town & I'm sure you'll hear all about it. But I recommend that you visit Chow.com & look at the Outer Boroughs posts for Flushing, Queens recommendations. And, my favorite remains World Tong (or whatever they've renamed themselves) on 18th Ave and 75th (?) St in Brooklyn's Bensonhurst section. It's near a subway and near Villabate bakery (Italian) as well.

I'll be in NYC Wednesday night. It's a last minute trip, and I don't have reservations anywhere. Can someone recommend a place for a great solo meal at a bar in midtown, preferably within walking distance of 51st and 5th? Thanks!

I cannot promse great, but I have had several satisfying meals sitting at the bar at Bar Americain. It is a rather largish bar, so you may have some luck with no reservations. It is on 52nd between 6th and 7th.

I cannot promse great, but I have had several satisfying meals sitting at the bar at Bar Americain. It is a rather largish bar, so you may have some luck with no reservations. It is on 52nd between 6th and 7th.

The crowd was already two deep at the bar when I got there around 5:45 (yikes!), so I decided to find alternate arrangements. I wandered around a bit and came back to a place just across the street, a steakhouse I hadn't heard of before (but which I now see gets a lot of press) called Ben Benson's. What a great place! I had an unexpectedly boozy good time at the bar with a super friendly crowd there. Everyone seemed to know each other - there were a good fifteen or twenty people around my side of the bar eventually, and I'm not kidding when I say the bartender, Mike, seemed to know almost all of them by name. Very nice atmosphere, everyone having a good time, and some real characters... And most importantly the food and drink were great. I started with an extraordinarily generously poured rye Manhattan that all but left me cross-eyed by the time I finished it, and an excellent New York strip, medium rare, great char on the outside, very well marbled, good flavor throughout. Free bar snacks of crisp potato skins seasoned with Old Bay and some excellent fried chicken tenders didn't hurt. Dessert, apples doused in cinnamon in a stale pastry shell, was terrible, but didn't detract from an otherwise great night. This probably isn't a "find" for most people, but I'm very happy I stumbled upon it last night.

How do you travel in NYC with an infant (other than with our own car)? We can take the subway but I prefer cabbing it but what do you do to secure the baby?

Best soup dumplings in Manhattan (is it Joe's)? Ippudo vs. Sapporo (49th st.) for ramen? Katz vs. 2nd Ave Deli? Keste vs. Motorino vs. Otto? DBGB vs. Spotted Pig? Momofuku Ssam vs Ma Peche?

Any other suggestion for casual dining that we can't get in DC? Manhattan only (below 100 st) - not schlepping to another borough. We're staying at the Muse (46th & Broadway) with our dogs and baby in tow.

I wandered around a bit and came back to a place just across the street, a steakhouse I hadn't heard of before (but which I now see gets a lot of press) called Ben Benson's.

It's considered one of the better steakhouses in NYC. I went there when I lived in NYC with co-workers.

How do you travel in NYC with an infant (other than with our own car)? We can take the subway but I prefer cabbing it but what do you do to secure the baby?

Best soup dumplings in Manhattan? Ippudo vs. Sapporo for ramen? Katz vs. 2nd Ave Deli? Keste vs. Motorino? DBGB vs. Spotted Pig? Momofuku Ssam vs Noodle Bar?

Any other suggestion for casual dining that we can't get in DC? Manhattan only (below 100 st) - not schlepping to another borough.

It's considered one of the better steakhouses in NYC. I went there when I lived in NYC with co-workers.

I ate at Chang's new Ma Peche a couple of weeks ago-pretty nice and a midtown alternative to the others-save room for soft serve. I would do Katz's-people can argue all day about who has the best corned beef, etc., but the atmosphere at Katz's is amazing-tip the slicer a buck or two at the counter when you order-he will give you a fat 'taste'. Of course if you lived in NY you probably already knew that :lol: . And after Katz's you are right next to Yonah Shimmel's knishery and Russ and Daughters for smoked fish, etc.

ETA: If you will be there on a Sunday, there is a great new street fair on Hester St. Nothing like a god old-fashioned NYC Street Fair. Tasty Travails wrote about it and the Daily News. has a nice piece about the neighborhood.

tip the slicer a buck or two at the counter when you order-he will give you a fat 'taste'. Of course if you lived in NY you probably already knew that :lol: .

I've been to Katz's (back in the early 90s). I wouldn't say the lower east side was all that exciting back then and I was more interested in staying in shape and hitting the bars rather than fat tasting. What exactly is fat tasting?

NYC cabs are exempt from laws regarding seatbelts and car seats, but they are supposed to let you install your own. You'll either have to drag your own along or ask your hotel concierge if he/she can find a lighter weight portable car seat rental.

I've been to Katz's (back in the early 90s). I wouldn't say the lower east side was all that exciting back then and I was more interested in staying in shape and hitting the bars rather than fat tasting. What exactly is fat tasting?

Fat taste-A big hunk of corned beef or pastrami to munch on while you're waiting for your meat to be (hand) sliced. Kind of like sampling the wine before you okay the bottle....The etymology comes from a guy I knew on Rivington St. who always provided a fat taste before you committed to the merchandise.

I think we'll be eating every dinner around 5:30. What's good (presumably the yakitori)?

Yes - they use the whole chicken, and you can try an array of obscure cuts (I remember really liking the neck and tail). Also they have homemade tofu. I haven't been in a few years, but I really enjoyed it when I went.

Was in NYC for 2 days a couple of weeks ago. Had 2 phenomenal meals:

Candle79: 79th and Lexington Avenue

My daughter and I had lunch here following a visit to the Picasso exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- a 5 block walk from the museum. This is a vegan restaurant and while neither of us are vegan or even vegetarian, the meal was fantastic. So much so that I contemplated cancelling our dinner reservations and returning here for dinner. The menu changes seasonally, so it may not be useful for me to list what we had. We were there for lunch, so we didn't look at their wine list. I will say that they have perhaps the best list of non-alcoholic drinks I've ever seen. We both had the iced tea which may be the best iced tea I've ever had in a restaurant. The table next to us had a round of their house-made Ginger Ale and while I haven't had a 'soda' in more than a decade, I was seriously tempted by the sight of such a lucious drink -- so ordered one and daughter and I shared it -- WOW! This is nothing like the Canada Dry Ginger Ale you buy at your local grocery store. This was ginger heaven in a glass.

Given that it was Spring, I had the soup of the day: Asparagus Soup which was really delicious. As an entree I had the Spring Harvest Paella in a Saffron-Red Pepper Sauce which was tasty, if not the best thing I've ever eaten. My daughter ordered the Burrito which was incredibly good! We did not order dessert because we were too full. Service was way beyond good.

Seasonal: 132 West 58th Street, between 6th & 7th Avenues

Chose this restaurant because it's Austrian and I spent several years of my youth in Austria. Even if you've never been to Austria, you'd like this restaurant. This was a lovely meal -- we had the seasonal tasting menu and I did not take notes, so can't provide details. I can say that the food, the service, the wine, and the ambiance were all excellent.

Strange...these words, they are so familiar...yet somehow they do not make sense to me.

LOL! Trying to set a (sober) example for my 20-something daughter. Now, if it had been just me and my husband, well.... :lol:

Need your advice: going to be in NYC for a very important birthday -- yes, one of those with a 0 on the end. Want to have one blowout dinner for the celebration. Right now we are vacillating between Per Se and Le Bernardin. However, would really like your input. Also, would love suggestions for a less opulent dinner the second night. Open to all cuisines. Thanks so much!

Need your advice: going to be in NYC for a very important birthday -- yes, one of those with a 0 on the end. Want to have one blowout dinner for the celebration. Right now we are vacillating between Per Se and Le Bernardin. However, would really like your input. Also, would love suggestions for a less opulent dinner the second night. Open to all cuisines. Thanks so much!

I ahven't been to either Per Se or Le Bernardin since 2009, so things may have changed, but I would seriously consider having your blowout dinner at Le Bernardin, and trying a less opulent dinner at the lounge at Per Se, if they are still seating for a la carte meals there and you don't mind eating early or late. Alternatively, since you enjoy Austrian food, how about Wallse?

ETA: If you will be there on a Sunday, there is a great new street fair on Hester St. Nothing like a god old-fashioned NYC Street Fair. Tasty Travails wrote about it and the Daily News. has a nice piece about the neighborhood.

The Hester St. Fair is open both Saturday and Sunday, from 10 AM - 6 PM. Sunday is nicer for the lower east side crawl, because you get to check out the Pickle Guys just up the block (they're closed on Saturday), and if you turn the corner on Grand St., you can have a fantastic donut at the Doughnut Plant and take home some freshly baked bialys from Kossar's. And around the corner on Orchard St. is Il Laboratorio, some of the best gelato in the city, if you have room and if you're not worried about sugar high.

The Tottos, Yakitori Totto and Soba Totto, are excellent and both offer izakaya style dining as well as more substantial fare. So is Aburiya Kinnosuke, from the same restaurant group, but informed by Japanese grilling, both tabletop and robata. I doubt you'll find food this authentically Japanese anywhere in the District.

For the big blank-0 birthday dinner, it's Per Se, no contest. The room and service, and maybe even the food, will be more spectacular than at Le B. As brilliant as the food is at Le B, it's in a rather sterile midtown office building, sometimes with service to match, while Per Se overlooks Central Park - so it's no contest. Another choice, with a stunning room to match, is Eleven Madison Park. Daniel Humm has been cooking excellent food - 4 star NY Times stuff, for a while. Either one of these would be my choice over Le B (unless you're a pescetarian).

Plenty of places for your less opulent dinner. Maialino for very good Roman food, Lupa or Otto if you're a Mario Italian food fan (and who isn't?). Both The Redhead and Northern Spy food Co., in the far east village, are bringing farm to table food at great prices to a local clientele. It's the New Brooklyn Cuisine, Manhattan style. Pop into Death & Co., Mayahuel or PDT (which you need a reservation for) for an excellent pre-prandial cocktail and you'll be all set. Go early, say 6, for your drink and you should have no problem getting in. Later on in the evening, head to Painkiller and top your night off with a scorpion bowl or a zombie, and your cab is just a stumble out the front door.

I ahven't been to either Per Se or Le Bernardin since 2009, so things may have changed, but I would seriously consider having your blowout dinner at Le Bernardin, and trying a less opulent dinner at the lounge at Per Se, if they are still seating for a la carte meals there and you don't mind eating early or late. Alternatively, since you enjoy Austrian food, how about Wallse?

La Bernardin for blowout and Socarrat Paella Bar fro cool-casual!

I've been to a couple of birthday and anniversary celebrations at Le Bernardin, and they were fabulous. Haven't been to Per Se. For a blow-out dinner, personally I'd go to Daniel. It's my favorite splurge restaurant in NYC. If not Daniel, then Le Bernardin. For a more moderate restaurant experience, I'd recommend the Bar Room at the Modern.

I also like some of weinoo's suggestions (for example, Eleven Madison Park and Lupa).

I've been to a couple of birthday and anniversary celebrations at Le Bernardin, and they were fabulous. Haven't been to Per Se. For a blow-out dinner, personally I'd go to Daniel. It's my favorite splurge restaurant in NYC. If not Daniel, then Le Bernardin. For a more moderate restaurant experience, I'd recommend the Bar Room at the Modern.

I also like some of weinoo's suggestions (for example, Eleven Madison Park and Lupa).

The problem with Daniel, as can be seen on threads on other boards like eG and Mouthfuls, is that it really helps your experience if you're a regular. They get treated especially well. It's also stuffed suits and not particularly hip.

But now that you mentioned Daniel, DBGB, Chef Boulud's casual eatery down on the Bowery, is a great place for your less stupendous meal.

Per Se, hands down.

The problem with Daniel, as can be seen on threads on other boards like eG and Mouthfuls, is that it really helps your experience if you're a regular. They get treated especially well. It's also stuffed suits and not particularly hip.

But now that you mentioned Daniel, DBGB, Chef Boulud's casual eatery down on the Bowery, is a great place for your less stupendous meal.

Per Se, hands down.

What you've said about Daniel hasn't been my experience. I've been fortunate to dine there a handful of times over the years, so I'm hardly a regular. The service and food have been consistently excellent, and staff has gone the extra mile to accomodate special requests and extra touches. All I can say is that friends of mine and I have had spectacular celebrations there (including New Year's Eve, which was one of the best meals I've ever had in any NYC restaurant).Can't say that I identify with what you mentioned about stuffed suits either. As for the hip factor, well, to each his own. Have you actually been there yourself, and have you been there after the remodelling? Daniel is cool enough for me, and I feel comfortable recommending it to anyone who's looking to celebrate a special occasion. Having said that, I've also had a couple of great meals at Le Bernardin as well.

I've been meaning to post about one of my new favorite restaurants in NYC--Pylos. It's a modern, reasonably priced Greek restaurant in the East Village that serves amazing comfort food .

The decor is simple, yet chic, and the terra cotta pitchers that grace the ceiling are a nice touch.The service is really excellent too. But the main reason to come is the FOOD. I usually get the lemon chicken soup, which was probably the best I've ever had outside of the homes of Greek friends. And what can I say about the moussaka--it's presented like a compact little mountain of eggplant, bechamel sauce, ground beef. Delicious, and not messy to eat!

Pylos also boasts an extensive list of Greek wine, but as I'm not a fan I stick with French champagne or sparkling water. Last but not least, the prices here are extremely reasonable--at least 30%-40% less than those of over-priced Midtown Greek restaurants I used to be a regular at Molyvos since it's close to the place I usually stay and has very good moussaka, but now prefer Pylos because the atmosphere is more lively and the food and prices are better.

if you go early and have a small party, you can get in without a reservation or grab a seat at the communal table in the back, but it's usually best to have a reservation.

Pylos

(212) 473-0220

East Village

128 E 7th St

New York, NY 10009

www.pylosrestaurant.com

DBGB -- Very good, but noisy. db Bistro Moderne is still my favorite of the DB empire (Cafe Boulud a close 2nd) -- still haven't tried Bar Boulud

Sushi Zen -- whoa, very good. really

Baked by Melissa -- micro cupcake place -- very good, but honestly, I wished the cupcakes were a tad bigger. You could easily eat 6 of these in one bite.

The Challenge: Lunch or dinner for 14 people, mixture of adults and teenagers/children (youngest is 11), below 14th Street. Other than Otto, what would work for a group this size? TIA.

I'd suggest Freeman's, although the kids might scare the hipsters. I've done a group dinner for around 14 there before - it was a good time and the food was good, although not revelatory.

The Challenge: Lunch or dinner for 14 people, mixture of adults and teenagers/children (youngest is 11), below 14th Street. Other than Otto, what would work for a group this size? TIA.

Lupa might work. Staff there has been very accomodating of the teens/kids in our group on more than one occasion. I also second the recommendation for DBGB.

And although it's not below 14th St; it's on E. 18th), I've been hearing very good things about ABC Kitchen, Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s latest restaurant, which features reasonably priced farm-to-table food and great cocktails.

I also second the recommendation for DBGB.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. As for DBGB, any restaurant that uses The Magnificent Seven as the background music for its website, and plays the entire song no less, gets my vote. :)

went to NYC over Memorial Day weekend and ate at 6 places in two days.. Ippudo was by far the highlight of the trip, you must check this place out.

How descriptive is the menu? I don't speak Japanese and don't have extensive knowledge of the various styles of ramen. So the question is do I need to print a copy of the Wikipedia's ramen cheat-sheet? For those of you who have been to Ippudo in NYC, what about their menu?

jparrott's post:

grover's post:

I found this Ippudo menu. Not exactly the same as Grover's original post.

The Ippudo menu is pretty descriptive and the staff is helpful so you definitely don't need to do any prep work before you go. I am partial to the Akamaru Special Ramen but you can't really go wrong. The noodle dishes without broth are good too, as is almost everything I have eaten there. I like the pork burger, which comes with a grilled rice "bun" and mayo.

Be prepared to wait though, and definitely don't go at a peak time. There is a small bar area in the front of the restaurant that gets pretty cramped where you can have a beer or some sake while you wait. I haven't had their cocktails.

I will be in NYC during the July 4th weekend for a family get together. My husband and I will probably go out with another foodie friend for some meals, but I also have the daunting task of figuring out where to go for 10 adults, 4 kids, and 2 toddlers. They are not particularly adventurous eaters, hate vegetables, love beef, lobster, and shrimp. I know they would be just as happy eating at Red Lobster, but they are asking for my opinion since they enjoyed every meal I have arranged in the past from Cantonese to Korean bbq to Thai. Our hotel will be near Battery Park and I figure Chinese would be perfect for a big family meal. I know the best places are in Flushing, but for convenience sake, what is your favorite Cantonese and dim sum place in Chinatown? We are also kind of close to Little Italy. Italian is also good served family style. Is there any moderate priced Italian place? What about decent pizza without venture into Brooklyn and wait hours in line?

Thanks.

I will be in NYC during the July 4th weekend for a family get together. My husband and I will probably go out with another foodie friend for some meals, but I also have the daunting task of figuring out where to go for 10 adults, 4 kids, and 2 toddlers. They are not particularly adventurous eaters, hate vegetables, love beef, lobster, and shrimp. I know they would be just as happy eating at Red Lobster, but they are asking for my opinion since they enjoyed every meal I have arranged in the past from Cantonese to Korean bbq to Thai. Our hotel will be near Battery Park and I figure Chinese would be perfect for a big family meal. I know the best places are in Flushing, but for convenience sake, what is your favorite Cantonese and dim sum place in Chinatown? We are also kind of close to Little Italy. Italian is also good served family style. Is there any moderate priced Italian place? What about decent pizza without venture into Brooklyn and wait hours in line?

Thanks.

Otto - Fifth Ave off 8th St. Call them 1st

Congee Bowery (on Bowery of course) for non-dim sum meal (get the fried chicken, get the congee, feel free to get the other stuff too)

I know this doesn't fit exactly what you are asking for but you guys should really consider a trip up to Stone Street. In the summer they close off the whole street and cover it with picnic tables and all the restaurants serve the picnic tables in front of their restaurant. It is walkable from Battery Park and if the weather is what it's supposed to be, it should be a great atmosphere. Adrienne's serves very respectable pizza or you could go to Ulysses next door for good quality American bar food. They have very nice weekday lunch specials.

Otto is definitely worth a look-see. I hadn't dined there in quite a while, but ended up there the other night. Delicious meal, great value.

It's one of those places where the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. I'd never recommend it as a destination for its pizza, although they've gotten the grilling thing to the point that, with the interesting toppings, its more than mediocre. I'd never recommend going for the pastas either, although I've never had one that I wouldnt get again. The wine list by the quartino is way above average, but there are other places that make me happy (ie; Terroir) as well. Same with the cheeses and the meats. And, c'mon, can you really try to convince anyone other than a vegetarian to go somewhere because the $4 veggie bowls are incredible? Only the gelato stands above the rest of the world.

But, put this all together and Ginny & I had a great late lunch there (again) this past Saturday. The beets, the faro, the eggplant caponata, the spicy broc. rabe & the other veggie we had (cant remember which one) were up there with the best $20 ever spent. The "quatro stagionale" pizza was tasty. And the olive oil and dark choc. gelatos made the day. A quartino of a not so dry white for me and a fruit forward red for her and we were content.

It turned out we only had one big family dinner at the View (don't judge me, I didn't pick it). The rest of the time, I went around the town with a friend who was born and raised in NYC. We sampled various delectables from Ippudoh, Pommes Frites, Katzs, Artichoke Basille's Pizza and Brewery, Yatagan Kebab, Joe's Shanghai, Jade Asian, Xinjiang bbq cart, Grom, Minamoto Kitchoan, Quickly, Sago, Saint's Alp, and a couple of sliders from pop burger before going to FAO Schwartz with my son, who picked out a truck that we named dumpy. Not bad for my first time in NYC, but I still wish I had more room for food. :)

We also spent the long weekend in NYC.

First stop was Katz's - it was not very crowded on a Saturday morning (on July 4 weekend) and we were able to park on the street right next to the restaurant for a measly $2.50 per hour. We ordered a pastrami sandwich, a corned beef sandwich, kishka (stuffed derma), matsoh ball soup, and a Bass ale for me. This totaled just under $50 prior to tax and tip. When Harry next meet Sally, she's gonna fake a heart attack instead of an orgasm. The pastrami sandwich was righteously delicious though, and the kishka went well with the hot gravy. The corn beef sandwich was so so, and the matsoh ball soup we didn't finish even though it was definitely above average.

Dinner on Sat night was at DBGB with my cousin. We started with a small seafood platter - with oysters, clams, mussels, shrimps, crab claws and sea snails (two different kinds, mostly small and 1 big one), and there were some tuna tartare as well. At $35, this wasn't a bargain but definitely worth the money (the snails were especially good, as were the tuna tartare). We also had some bone marrows which sucked. My cousin and I both agreed it was the worst bone marrow we ever had - perhaps it needed some salt, and probably some parsley to cut the richness of the fat - for whatever reason, it was not good. We also tried the Boudin Basque (blood and pighead), Berliner (finely grounded pork), Thai (pork, lemongrass & curry) and Beaujolaise. I wasn't particularly fond of any of the sausages. They were possibly too refined for me - I like my sausages hearty. The Thai definitely had lots of curry flavor. The Beaujolaise was my favorite and the Boudin and the Berliner were my least favorites.

Sunday we were the 2nd group in line for Ippudo (which opened at 11 a.m. and couldn't serve beer until noon under NY law). We started with some wings (3 for $7), sweet shrimp tempura (4 for $17), a classic with their suggested toppings of mustard greens and stewed pork, and a modern with bamboo shoots and stewed pork. The wings were super crispy, more sweet than spicy. I've never had Bon Chon chicken but I suspect this is similar. The sweet shrimp tempura were equally fantastic (tasted like the rock shrimp tempura that Nobu is famous for). As for the noodles, I preferred the Modern to the Classic, but both are pretty salty and as far as Asian noodle soups are concerned, I think I prefer a bowl of braised beef noodle soup or pho (too many competing flavors in the ramen). There is a ritual shouting as the guests are seated - which I imagine lead to lots of sore throats. $70 for lunch (before tip), Sally might suffer a real heart attack.

Sunday dinner was at Esca. The little girl did not cooperate but the staff was very gracious so I thought I give them a shout out. We started with the crudo tastings, I don't recall everything but I remember the most tender diced razor clams and some fat and juicy salmon roe. We also had the Fritti, described as crispy blowfish tail and local steamers. I didn't see any blowfish but I did get some fried steamers which were really salty and overfried. Twice I've been burned at Esca with fried seafood. The last starter was a Pesci Azzuri duo -grilled sardines and bresaola di tonno. The tuna prosciutto were definitely better than expected. We finished the meal with pastas - mine was crab and sea urchin spaghetti sucked down hurriedly and my wife's was gnocchi to go. The fishiness of the crab kind of overwhelmed the flavor of the sea urchin, but the pasta itself was firm and chewy. I'd go back but I would really focus on the crudos.

Monday morning we had some salmon and lox with bagels at Stage Deli. I believe it was the lox that was so salty that it was barely edible. The bagels and bialy were pretty bad too. Had Joe's Shanghai been on their regular schedule, we wouldn't have had this poor experience.

Another substitution occurred when Chang (or someone else) decided not to open Ma Peche. I'm pretty sure I called ahead and they assured me they would be open as usual but that hardly matters. My cousin (who knows someone....) got us into Marea instead on Monday night. We had to try the Ricci (lardo and sea urchin), and the Zeppole to boot (seaweed, shrimp, chickpea fritter). To be honest, the sea urchin masked the lardo and what I thought sounded fantastic on paper (or TV) is merely good, because I just love sea urchin. The Zeppole was a boring fritter. They did bring two sides of grilled green peppers and egg plant balls. After those palate teasers, we dove into lots of crudos - langostine, lobster, tuna, snapper, geoduck (surprisingly good with chilies), and horse mackerel. My cousin had the Ricciola (smoked yellowtail). Again, the crudos were the best part of the meal. We finished with 5 pastas for 3 people - fusilli of braised octopus and bone marrow, spaghetti of crab and sea urchin, garganelli with sausage ragu, ricotta ravioli, and orrecchiette with prawns, chili, and rosemary. As the case with Esca, the crab fishiness trounced the sea urchin. The octopus was unobtrusive - it wasn't rubbery, it wasn't mealy, thus it was good but it was the only plate of pasta that wasn't finished. My cousin, the one who knows someone and has had everything on the menu, ordered the garganelli and the orrechiette - both were very good.

At both Esca and Marea, I wasn't too excited by their seafood entrees. If there's something spectacular that I shouldn't miss, please let me know, otherwise I'll keep eating crudos and pastas.

post-4391-127845791673_thumb.jpg

post-4391-127845793562_thumb.jpg

post-4391-127845794159_thumb.jpg

post-4391-127845795146_thumb.jpg

Monday morning we had some salmon and lox with bagels at Stage Deli. I believe it was the lox that was so salty that it was barely edible. The bagels and bialy were pretty bad too.

Next time, you want the lox from Russ & Daughters, which is right near Katz's.

Monday morning we had some salmon and lox with bagels at Stage Deli. I believe it was the lox that was so salty that it was barely edible. The bagels and bialy were pretty bad too.

I used to love Stage Deli and went there on every trip to New York, but the last couple of times have been awful. The last time I went there I got a fairly big breakfast. The overall meal wasn't very good, but the "standout" experience was an omelette made by someone who seems never to have made an omelette before. Oh, it was bad. And expensive.

The next trip I stayed in that vicinity I went to Carnegie Deli, which I've never liked all that much, and the breakfast was far superior.

The next trip I stayed in that vicinity I went to Carnegie Deli, which I've never liked all that much, and the breakfast was far superior.

We went by Carnegie in the afternoon to pick up a slice of cheesecake for my wife. The place is cash only but it's packed, whereas a block away, Stage accepts credit cards and it wasn't full by any means.

Okay friends, looking for some suggestions for a late lunch on Sunday, close to Penn Station would be great, but we could jump into a cab. We're coming back from a family party in Long Island and have a 4pm train out of Penn Station. I expect we'll get tossed out of our hotel around 11am, so we have about 3.5 hours to kill once we get back to manhattan. We'll have our luggage with us...always fun dine with a suitcase stuffed under the table :)

Okay friends, looking for some suggestions for a late lunch on Sunday, close to Penn Station would be great, but we could jump into a cab. We're coming back from a family party in Long Island and have a 4pm train out of Penn Station. I expect we'll get tossed out of our hotel around 11am, so we have about 3.5 hours to kill once we get back to manhattan. We'll have our luggage with us...always fun dine with a suitcase stuffed under the table :)

Woo Chon for my favorite Korean BBQ in NY is on 36th between 5th and 6th ave- the yang bulgogi (lamb) is amazing.