Had a break between meetings and jumped off the subway at Union Square to walk through the green market. It puts the DC markets to shame with the diversity of vendors.

The Dupont Market has nothing to be ashamed of. I've been to the Union Square market several times (last time was mid-Sept) and, indeed, it is incredible. However, everytime I've left feeling that it was almost too much. There is so much that it's really difficult to make a decision about where you want to buy. On our last visit, we were staying in a hotel so I really couldn't buy anything, and I frankly felt relieved that I didn't have to make a decision. I'm sure that if I lived there and went regularly I'd figure out which vendors were the best for my needs and it would be less daunting.

To clarify my "shame" statement... it's the bakers and prepared food vendors to which I was referring. Produce in DC is very impressive. In fact, I spent a great deal of time in LA this summer and at the markets around the area. While the diversity of produce was amazing, I thought the quality in DC was better.

So... to edit my post in retrospect, I wish there were more bakers and prepared food vendors at the markets in DC instead of one or two at each market.

Heading up to NYC for the weekend after T-Day. Is Peasant worth a visit? Other suggestions? Don't necessarily want a super fancy place, but something worth a visit.

Heading up to NYC for the weekend after T-Day. Is Peasant worth a visit? Other suggestions? Don't necessarily want a super fancy place, but something worth a visit.

I'd suggest Osteria Morini or Maialino or Lupa over Peasant. I had a very nice meal at Corsino recently. ABC Kitchen is putting out some very nice food. Maialino does a very nice brunch on the weekends as well. Stay the hell away from Eataly as it's bound to be crowded that weekend.

I'd suggest Osteria Morini or Maialino or Lupa over Peasant. I had a very nice meal at Corsino recently. ABC Kitchen is putting out some very nice food. Maialino does a very nice brunch on the weekends as well. Stay the hell away from Eataly as it's bound to be crowded that weekend.

I know it's a wine bar w/food and not a proper restaurant, but hit Terroir (either location) for both the wine (list is great) and the food.

I know it's a wine bar w/food and not a proper restaurant, but hit Terroir (either location) for both the wine (list is great) and the food.

A good pair of restaurants would be to hit the Terroir in Tribeca for wine and snacks and then walk around the corner to Locanda Verde for some more substantial things. My last meal at LV was truly memorable.

Traif in Brooklyn, in the Williamsburg section, 229 S 4th St ((between Havemeyer St & Roebling St). Jewish chef/owner who does everything that not kosher....lots of pork and shellfish. My wife and I went here with my daughter who lives in NYC. What a nice experience and really good food. My daughter and I started out with a drink called The Rude Little Pig, sort of a margarita with bacon bits on glass's edge rather than salt . To eat we had the pork belly, sautéed broccoli rabe, and seared scallops which we we drank a bottle of viura/verdejo. To top it off we had the bacon donuts. The food was good, tasty and well presented. The wine accompanied the food well. And the nicest surprise is we spent less than $100 for 3 people. Definitely a place to go to again.

Traif in Brooklyn, in the Williamsburg section, 229 S 4th St ((between Havemeyer St & Roebling St). Jewish chef/owner who does everything that not kosher....lots of pork and shellfish. My wife and I went here with my daughter who lives in NYC. What a nice experience and really good food. My daughter and I started out with a drink called The Rude Little Pig, sort of a margarita with bacon bits on glass's edge rather than salt . To eat we had the pork belly, sautéed broccoli rabe, and seared scallops which we we drank a bottle of viura/verdejo. To top it off we had the bacon donuts. The food was good, tasty and well presented. The wine accompanied the food well. And the nicest surprise is we spent less than $100 for 3 people. Definitely a place to go to again.

The proliferation of small, modestly priced very good places in Brooklyn and parts of Manhattan (E.Village especially) over the past several years has kept me fat and happy. I'm glad you've been to (& enjoyed) Traif, a place even I havent gotten to yet. Roberta's is another one that's worth a visit while in Bklyn these days. And Queens seems to be beginning to get new, good openings in Long Island City and surrounding areas as well.

Piling on, I had a lovely breakfast at General Greene in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, before watching a bit of Marathon this past Sunday.

Diablo Royale (the only not-recommended place of the trip)

Summit Bar

Per Se

Pegu Club

Pain Killer

Counting Room

Cafe Boulud

Zabar's

Eataly

Luke's Lobster

Broadway Dive Bar

Artie's NY Deli

Mermaid Inn

Apotheke

White Star

Cheesy Pizza (ok, this is also not recommended either, but it was late and pizza seemed like a good idea)

Broadway Dive Bar

Soba-Ya

An excellent long weekend in the city with good friends.

Buddakan - NYC Friday Nov 12, 2010. 9:15 reservation became 10pm seating. This place was hopping. Bar area was jammed and conversation just wasnt possible. Patrons were dressed up. big time(this is Manhatten)

The food hit mostly high notes. Edaname potstickers were great as were Tuna Tartare spring rolls.

Mains included Scallops, Short Ribs(these were great), Sea Bass, Chicken(just OK)

and a few bottles of good Austrian Wine.

Dinner for 4, with 2 bottles of wine, 4 apps, 4 mains was about 325

Note..This is fusion/asia food severed family style. Dishes are served as they become ready. Not sure i'd go back but worth the experience

I had Sunday business in the city so the wife and I drove up for the day. Blue Ribbon Sushi was certainly competent sushi but extremely pricey. For the most part well handled fish, and probably the best we could hope for at 3 pm on a Sunday.

Keste for pizza was a fantastic pie. Margharita great pie, not soggy in the middle if you ate fast. The Mast’ Nicola was topped with Prosciutto a instead of the advertised Lardo, which made it too salty, but otherwise nicely done.

Momofuku Ssam Bar was quite quiet by 9 pm on Sunday. The oldest dishes are the best, all of the newer ones didn't live up to the ones I had seen on the menu from two years ago. It must be hard to run more and more bigger and bigger restaurants.

Went to NYC last weekend, did alot of eating!

Print. Hells Kitchen, http://printrestaurant.com/

Just had brunch, so hard to judge, but no complaints. The bacon-maple cinammon roll was the highlight. It's located near the car dealers, so its a bit of a walk. Read good reviews online, so will want to try this place out for dinner another time.

Hell's Kitchen, http://www.hellskitchen-nyc.com/

"Progressive Mexican". Very good, nothing execptional. I had a roasted chicken quesadilla, quite tasty. Partner had Halibut. The pork shank had rave reviews online and I noticed several other patrons ordering it.

Max Brenner, Union Square, http://www.maxbrenner.com/

Touristy type place. I think Coco Sala in DC does a better job, but Max's chocolate is better. If you stick to the chocolate-based menu items, it's good. Other items not so much. The Cinnamon Apple White Chocolate French Toast struck a good balance - not overly sweet. A Turkey Club sandwich was dismal. However, the Peanut Butter Euporia Sundae was worth the trip.

Five Napkin Burger, Hells Kitchen, http://www.5napkinburger.com

Best meal of the trip. This burger makes Rays Hellburger forgettable. The original 5-napkin burger has caramelized onions, gruyere cheese, and rosemary aioli. Amazing flavor, best burger I ever ate. Perfectly cooked, the rosemary isn't too overpowering, just the right amout of juicyness. And it wasn't drowned in black pepper like every burger place in DC. I've had better fries, but the burger was so good I hardly noticed. This place is going to be a must on future visits. (Make a reservation, the place is apparently always packed. And very very noisy.) And they now feature Dogfish Head Brewery beer.

---

Zabar's (dcs)

Five Napkin Burger, Hells Kitchen, http://www.5napkinburger.com

(Make a reservation, the place is apparently always packed. And very very noisy.) And they now feature Dogfish Head Brewery beer.

The one on the UWS is usually easier to get in to. It's a couple of blocks north of Zabar's on Broadway. If you aren't crazy about the fries they let you do half and half with onion rings.

Back from NYC.

Meals at Momofuku and Locanda Verde (thanks for the tip) were very good.

Our meal at Cafe Boulud was expensive and rather boring, although well prepared.

The Blind Tiger was a nice find for great beers and a couple of casks.

Heading to NYC the weekend of December 10th (the SO has never been to NYC during the holidays and I finally gave in). I know the city will be a made house, particularly b/c we will be hitting the tourist traps that are the Rockefellar tree and all of the surrounding holiday trappings.

That said, I'm driving in early in the morning and will be heading out of the city around 9 or 10. As is normally my MO, (travelling in from eastern PA / NJ) I will probably hop on the ferry in Weehawken and jump off in midtown. Any recommendations for lunch / dinner options that aren't a 40 dollar cab right away from everything would be very much appreciated.

Would love a spot with decent beer for lunch and anything is fair game (from casual to fancy) for dinner...but I legitimately have no clue what my options are since its been awhile since I've done the midtown (or anything out of the Bronx for that matter) thing.

Heading to NYC the weekend of December 10th (the SO has never been to NYC during the holidays and I finally gave in). I know the city will be a made house, particularly b/c we will be hitting the tourist traps that are the Rockefellar tree and all of the surrounding holiday trappings.

That said, I'm driving in early in the morning and will be heading out of the city around 9 or 10. As is normally my MO, (travelling in from eastern PA / NJ) I will probably hop on the ferry in Weehawken and jump off in midtown. Any recommendations for lunch / dinner options that aren't a 40 dollar cab right away from everything would be very much appreciated.

Would love a spot with decent beer for lunch and anything is fair game (from casual to fancy) for dinner...but I legitimately have no clue what my options are since its been awhile since I've done the midtown (or anything out of the Bronx for that matter) thing.

Just back from a quick trip to New York. Two things. You should do the Roc Center at night, even late around 10. It will be crowded but less so than during the day. Also you have to do the windows at Sax and the other department stores/jewelry stores. To prep for the trip watch Miracle on 34th St. New York during the holidays is splendid.

The other suggestion is food related. I am a broken record but La Bonne Soupe is a great place to eat within walking distance. I ate there twice during this trip and each time ran into people I know from different parts of the country! It's the kind of place where people return time and again because it is really good food, reasonably priced and a great atmosphere. Make sure to sit downstairs in the front room if possible.

Daisy May's is really close to the ferry terminal. If you have a busy day planned though, a stomach full of bbq might not be the best start. Honestly there are a ton of cool places on 9th ave. Just head over and start walking north. 5 Napkin for burgers, Empanada Mama or Rice and Beans for latin, Yum Yum for Thai, Two Boots for pizza, Casselulla for cheap wine bar type food. You really can't go wrong. Afterwards Roc center is easily walkable from any of those places (except Daisy Mays might be pushing it if the cold is a factor).

I'm going to dinner in NY tonight, preferably in the Village, and am so disappointed to find out that Bellavitae closed. Any recommendations for restaurants nearish NYU? We're open to types of food, though others might be joining us so we should probably avoid anything with eye-popping prices.

I'm going to dinner in NY tonight, preferably in the Village, and am so disappointed to find out that Bellavitae closed. Any recommendations for restaurants nearish NYU? We're open to types of food, though others might be joining us so we should probably avoid anything with eye-popping prices.

Otto, at 1 Fifth Ave (at 8th St) is right there. Small terrines of great veggies and seafood, as well as cheeses/meats at reasonable prices. With a great wine list. Sit at the bar if its just 2 of you... same menu at the tables in back or at the stand-up tables near the bar. Pizza is okay, nothing more. Pastas are good. Plate of fennel is very nice.

Lupa is closer but I dont like the food as much.

Apiary for Scott Bryan's excellent cooking. Kind of surprised it hasn't been mentioned here (or maybe I missed it). The prices are very reasonable considering the level of food and service.

Otto, at 1 Fifth Ave (at 8th St) is right there. Small terrines of great veggies and seafood, as well as cheeses/meats at reasonable prices. With a great wine list. Sit at the bar if its just 2 of you... same menu at the tables in back or at the stand-up tables near the bar. Pizza is okay, nothing more. Pastas are good. Plate of fennel is very nice.

Lupa is closer but I dont like the food as much.

I'm a Lupa preferrer, but that's what makes the world go round. As a matter of fact, I just ate at Lupa with a couple of friends this past week, and it was great.

I'm a Lupa preferrer, but that's what makes the world go round. As a matter of fact, I just ate at Lupa with a couple of friends this past week, and it was great.

Why does the Lupa website not give their hours? Maybe I just cannot find it. Does it close between lunch and dinner? I need a long afternoon of eating and drinking in March before the Allman Brothers at the Beacon and this looks like it may work. 10 Downing hooked us up with an excellent special request tasting menu last year (as a walk in at 2pm) and I am wondering whether Lupa might do the same. Does anyone know whether this is possible?

Why does the Lupa website not give their hours? Maybe I just cannot find it. Does it close between lunch and dinner? I need a long afternoon of eating and drinking in March before the Allman Brothers at the Beacon and this looks like it may work. 10 Downing hooked us up with an excellent special request tasting menu last year (as a walk in at 2pm) and I am wondering whether Lupa might do the same. Does anyone know whether this is possible?

I think Lupa is open continuously from noon till midnight, but please call the restaurant to confirm. I don't know about tasting menus, but there is plenty to choose from on the menu.