Jean-Georges, Vongerichten's Upper West Side Flagship

Having lunch there on Friday. What should I not miss? Are Johnny Iuzzuni's desserts special or is he all hype?

Thanks!

Lunch is a great bargain at Jean-Georges - it may have been our favorite meal when we were in NY for about 4-5 days back in February. If they still have the steamed skate with spaghetti squash and roasted pumpkin seeds, I'd highly recommend ordering it. Hubby also really enjoyed the veal scallopine. As for dessert, I was incredibly skeptical (I'm normally a "skip dessert and order an extra appetizer" kind of person), but the way they do it, where it is 2-3 smaller desserts within a larger "theme," is really delicious and unique.

Having lunch there on Friday. What should I not miss? Are Johnny Iuzzuni's desserts special or is he all hype?

Thanks!

Hey bookluvingbabe thought I'd chime in here...

Johnny's desserts are not to miss, especially since he's recently resigned his post as pastry chef at Jean-Georges. Go and indulge, he's only there for another month. You won't be disappointed, hopefully ;-)

MP

We had a lovely lunch though it got off to a bit of a rough start. I've checked and re-checked the website and I did not seeing anything about a dress code, and nothing was mentioned when I reserved or when I confirmed. Alas, my guest's gray pants did not fit the bill the hostess informed us as she suggested we sit in the cafe. Which was loud, crowded and it was unclear who our server really was.

But the food was lovely. We had the bruleed foie gras, the crab dumplings and the yellowfin ribbons to start. The yellowfin ribbons were in a delightful sauce and plated so they looked like a rose. It was lovely. For entrees we had the veal scallopine and beef tenderloin. The tenderloin was cooked perfectly but the veal had wonderful depth of flavor in the sauce that elevated it far ahead of the beef dish. For dessert we split the harvest plate and the chocolate plate. The desserts were enchanting and just the right finishing note.

We got out for $100 each and felt we had just the right amount of food and a glass of wine each.

Next time, we will clarify the dress code in advance though!

Gray pants won't do? What was missing, a jacket?

I have a reservation at both JG and Bouley, and am on a waiting list for Le Bernadin. Since DR was down, I had to search for info elsewhere, and from what I've read JG was deemed to be "more informal." Interestingly, Bouley says a jacket is required for dinner only, not at lunch.

And while the reports have been really good on the food here, I am leaning toward Bouley only because they specifically state that they will work with a diner's preferences. I have sent my allergy list to both places and JG so far has said I would have limited options. Well no duh! I asked if they could let me know how limited and have yet to hear back from them. I had a pretty good conversation with Bouley, and since they state they will work with the diner, I am leaning to going there. Haven't even broached LB yet since I'm still on the wait list.

BTW, this is for a special birthday celebration, so I want the whole 9 yards! I would hope that we would not end up in the loud crowded cafe if we do go to JG.

Lunch at JG may be considered a great bargain, but I had a very mediocre lunch here a few months ago, the level of cooking well below that I've encountered at dinner. Maybe the kitchen overall has declined -- certainly, the seafood courses I had could not hold a candle to the cooking at Le Bernardin. The meal was redeemed only by a copious array of wonderful desserts, brought out after I expressed my general dissatisfaction with the savory courses to the waiter.