London Restaurant Gift Cards

LauraB

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or under the London thread in 'The Intrepid Traveler.' Anyway, here's the situation:

Our 26-yr-old daughter and her BF live in London, in Farringdon. I would like to give them a gift card to a restaurant in London, but I'm clueless as far as the restaurant scene there. To be honest, I don't even know if it's possible to buy a gift card to a restaurant in England. I am hoping that those of you on the board who are knowledgeable will be able to provide guidance. They are omnivores and appreciate almost every cuisine. A place that is cool and hip would be better than stuffy and staid. We were thinking to spend about $200.

Thanks for your help!

I know you've been active on the "Plenty" thread - how about Ottolenghi? In addition to several retail locations, they have a restaurant in the Islington location, which isn't too far from Farringdon. $200 might be way more than enough for a meal there, based on the online menu prices. They also have a new restaurant: NOPI.

Last March, we had a very nice lunch at Bar Boulud in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Knightsbridge - dinner here would be great, too. Also in the Mandarin Oriental is Heston Blumenthal's Dinner, where he is exploring Britain's gastronomic past. It looks like quite an experience, but may be a tough reservation.

Friends (whose opinion I trust) had recommended Bistro Bruno Loubet, The River Cafe, and Jamie Oliver's Fifteen. SeveraI years ago, I had a very nice brunch at the Trattoria at Fifteen; I'm sure dinner in the Restaurant would be an enjoyable meal.

Shouldn't be a problem to purchase a gift card (or 'voucher') for a London restaurant. It might take a few emails and/or a phone call, but should definitely be possible.

Goldenticket, thank you so much for all of your suggestions. As it happens, my daughter's roommate works at one of the Ottolenghi locations and so she has the opportunity to partake of their food fairly often. I do plan to give her the 'Plenty' book for Christmas. I decided on a gift card to Fifteen -- it seems perfect -- my daughter will really love their mission. I would never have known about this place without your advice, so thank you! I bought the card through a website called Gift Rocket. They have an amazing number of restaurants in London and, apparently, all over the world.

You're welcome - what a lucky girl to have Ottolenghi available on the regular! I hope she enjoys Fifteen; the concept reminds me a bit of DC Central Kitchen Culinary Job Training Program. There was a great documentary (Jamie's Kitchen) made about the first group of apprentices - back in 2002. It's not available on Netflix, unfortunately.

Thank you for the Gift Rocket tip. The +1's family is in London, so this could make gift-giving a whole lot easier!