Cannon's Fish Market, Georgetown - Founded by Joe Cannon in 1937 and Owned by Bobby Moore - Closed

zoramargolis

Owner of Cannon's got busted a couple years ago for selling illegally harvested local rockfish. Not sure if current ownership is the same.

Eegads. Had I known that, would have pressed on to Blacksalt where I'd normally have gone anyway (and where, oddly, lobsters are a buck a pound cheaper).

I'm not sure how to start a new thread with existing posts from a different topic but seems like one for Cannon's might be good with this and the previous post moved there so people can find it easier if looking for info about Cannon's?

Can tell you it is the same ownership. I asked about that just because I was curious and not suspecting anything nefarious. I was told it's the same family from founding in the 30s. One of those ethical dilemmas for shoppers. Better to never shop there given what they did? Or better to give a second chance assuming they learned a lesson? Personally, I usually think the latter only if there is public explanation and clear contrition. Like what Kushi did and unlike what Taylor Gourmet did.

---

Creating a new thread for this retailer. This post should be replaced by two from the "dinner" topic.

Sigh, also, I'd like to change the subtitle/tag line to: "75 year old purveyor with 2009 conviction for Chesapeake rockfish poaching; now run by son of the perpetrator" but think only a moderator can do that?

I'm not sure how to start a new thread with existing posts from a different topic but seems like one for Cannon's might be good with this and the previous post moved there so people can find it easier if looking for info about Cannon's?

[Click "Quote" just like you'd normally reply, then highlight the text and do a "Cut" in your browser, back out, add a new topic, and "Paste" the cut. A bit laborious, but it serves me well. :)]

I have to say that apart from scoring some Belon oysters there years ago -- long before Black Salt, which sometimes has them, even existed -- and in-shell scallops, neither of which I ever saw a second time, I found the selection at Cannon's limited and unappetizing.    Their commitment to the retail trade seemed unenthusiastic, and its ongoing existence confirmed my prejudice that most people don't know how to buy fish.