When a Server Says "You Guys"

kirite

Why do servers greet patrons as "you guys?" We are in our 60s, yet we are inevitably addressed as "you guys." Has my wife morphed into a guy? I don't think so. Is "guy" now gender neutral? Are women dining with women addressed as "you Guys"? Am I alone in finding this greeting off-putting? Does anyone know the origins of "you guys?" Thanks.

If they say "youse guys" I throw down my napkin, jump to my feet, pull back my coat to reveal my pistols, and yell "WE'RE SOUTH OF THE MASON DIXON LINE, YOU SUMBITCH, NOW FILL YOUR HAND!"

If they say "yinz" I greet them as a fellow Pittsburgh fan. (Hey, I'm from Morgantown, WV - still south of the Mason Dixon line, but for pro teams, all Pittsburgh fans.)

If they say "y'all" I ask for a coke and get mad when I get a Pepsi.

If they say "youse guys" I throw down my napkin, jump to my feet, pull back my coat to reveal my pistols, and yell "WE'RE SOUTH OF THE MASON DIXON LINE, YOU SUMBITCH, NOW FILL YOUR HAND!"

If they say "yinz" I greet them as a fellow Pittsburgh fan. (Hey, I'm from Morgantown, WV - still south of the Mason Dixon line, but for pro teams, all Pittsburgh fans.)

If they say "y'all" I ask for a coke and get mad when I get a Pepsi.

LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!! (I am from Garrett County, MD. My family is from West Virginia and this post resonates in my heart something deep.)