District Kitchen, Woodley Park Metro - Chef Drew Trautmann Has Departed

We are starting a farm stand with Bounty Hill Farms (Mercersberg Valley PA) in front of the restaurant on Fridays and Saturdays starting July the 19th. In addition to seasonal produce, we will be offering some items made in the restaurant including popsicles, some baked goods, some charcuterie, and beverages (cocktails???) including housemade sodas. We will expand offerings if demand is there, perhaps including dairy & meats. Doreen & Ben Shank from Hickory Hollow Farms will be helping out. They will be bringing sweet corn, peaches, tomatoes, herbs, hopefully cherries (they are beautiful),and other seasonal things. Of course if you don't feel like cooking yourself, come in for dinner we use their stuff too. Since this is a new thing for us suggestions of what you would like to see would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Doreen & Ben just brought a ton (almost literally) for our farm stand starting tomorrow. Corn, tomatoes, new potatoes, summer squash, cabbage etc. They are confident they will sell out. Come help support them.

We will have popsicles at the market

We are also doing farm to table restaurant week, next week. More details are at www.eatlocalfirstdc.com. We will be offering a 3 course menu, just like regular restaurant week. Registration fees benefit d.c. freshfarm markets programs.

Come help make Hickory Hollow farms day and support local agriculture during farm to table restaurant week, they will be here today at 10 am with lots of great stuff. Tonight at the restaurant we will be featuring their artichokes during dinner. Farm to table restaurant week is just like regular restaurant week except less crowded and for a good cause. We hope to see some of you guys today.

Thanks,

Having suggested District Kitchen to Waitman a week or so ago in the help wanted forum, I thought it might as well stop in, as this week finds me back in town on business. In short, District Kitchen continues to be a restaurant that I wish was in my neighborhood.

Sitting at the bar I enjoyed a gin rickey (on HH special) and went with the bucatini with duck bacon and spicy tomato sauce to start. This dish was fantastic - al dente pasta, subtly spicy tomato sauce, smoky bacon, and lighter than it read on the menu. I would happily return to order a full portion as an entrée. Although I eyed the antelope medallions, ultimately I decided to go with the market steak, which this time constituted a hangar steak, along with fries and the housemade Worcestershire. The steak was well seasoned and generously portioned, while the fries were also excellent.

I'm generally not much of a dessert person, but gave a cantaloupe/ basil popsicle a try - this was great - the basil was discernible, but in no way overpowered the melon, and not overly sweet.

Looking forward to returning soon.

We would like to extend the final two days of our neighborhood restaurant week to members of Don Rockwell. The promotion is as follows.To show our appreciation for your support District Kitchen will be offering a 3 course menu the entire week (August 11-17) for $33 to our neighbors (and Rockwellians) . In addition, we will have drink specials only for you guys. Just print this e-mail, & make sure to say hi when you come in. We hope to see you! There are no upcharges and the whole menu is available.

Thanks and reserve soon,

This weekend we went to a new format on our menus. Everything is available as a smaller portion to allow groups and individuals to come in and try more things, basically creating their own tasting menus, as always the menu is printed in house, so it will be constantly changing. We will also be offering drink pairings in smaller portions to go with their food choices. Our farm stand is back up again this Friday as well.

Thanks.

• Like 2

"Feeding The Kiddie" by Michele Humes on Slate.com

In my experience kids will eat or at least try what is put in front of them, why dumb down their palates at an early age?

Our new kids menu.

DISTRICT KITCHEN DOES NOT HAVE A SEPARATE MENU FOR CHILDREN, BUT EVERY EFFORT (WITHIN REASON) WILL BE MADE TO ACCOMMODATE YOUR KIDS. PORTION SIZES ON MANY DISHES CAN BE ADJUSTED, & IF NEED BE SOME DISHES CAN HAVE INGREDIENTS LEFT OUT. WE LOVE KIDS & FEEL THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRY SOME OF THE SAME GOOD STUFF MOM & DAD GET MADE WITH THE SAME ORGANIC LOCAL INGREDIENTS & CARE.

STUFF KIDS LIKE

grilled corn wheels... ancho honey butter $6

mushroom black bean burger... traditional garnishes $15 add cheddar +$2

rosemary lemon chicken leg... garlic mash, corn wheels $18

bucatini pasta w/ butter & aged cheddar or slow cooked tomato sauce $8

waffle fries...candy onion-chive crème fraiche $9

soy candied peanuts & crispy chickpeas $7

housemade pickle selection $4 each/3 for $11/6 for $20 SEE LIST

obx style lump crab pate..pickled onions, lavash $10

foie gras parfait... okay it was only a couple of kids, but they liked it!

DESSERT... SEE LIST

HAVE FUN & ENJOY!

• Like 2

Our farmstand is back this Friday September 6th & should have lots of great stuff including peaches , corn, green beans, new potatoes, housemade strawberry breakfast bars, pecan brownies & housemade sodas. We're planning on running longer this week until @ 5 pm. We hope to see you there. Also, check out our new menu format. All items are available in half portions to let you create your own tasting menu & to allow sharing. Visit our website or swing by to take a look.

Thanks,

Had a really nice dinner there last night.  (Our first visit.)  Service was slow but we were comfortable and in a leisurely mood, so it actually contributed to our enjoyment.  Vegetables (collard greens and grilled carrots) were especially good.  

Hey Drew--Been a little while since you've posted here.  I actually learned recently I have a restaurant aficionado friend who lives close to District Kitchen but has never been. So we'll be remedying that in the next week or so. :)

Any seasonal or new item updates?  No kids will be in our party. Though one may be a tad immature. ;)

Thank you!

Hey Drew--Been a little while since you've posted here.  I actually learned recently I have a restaurant aficionado friend who lives close to District Kitchen but has never been. So we'll be remedying that in the next week or so. :)

Any seasonal or new item updates?  No kids will be in our party. Though one may be a tad immature. ;)

Thank you!

Lots of new stuff. We have house-cured salmon caviar with crème fraiche, chives, & potato skins, housemade all beef franks with Vienna sauce,  braised collard greens with hickory smoked sweet onions, & housemade hot sauce, porcini farroto with chard & taleggio, stone crab claws, whole roasted pompano (from Virginia cobia farms), apple turnover, & foie gras sausage.  We change the menu a lot, but I'm sure at least some of these items will still be here, ask me again when you're closer to coming in & say hi when you do.

Thanks for your interest,

• Like 1

Lots of new stuff. We have house-cured salmon caviar with crème fraiche, chives, & potato skins, housemade all beef franks with Vienna sauce,  braised collard greens with hickory smoked sweet onions, & housemade hot sauce, porcini farroto with chard & taleggio, stone crab claws, whole roasted pompano (from Virginia cobia farms), apple turnover, & foie gras sausage.  We change the menu a lot, but I'm sure at least some of these items will still be here, ask me again when you're closer to coming in & say hi when you do.

Thanks for your interest,

Thanks Drew.  It all sounds great.  And, will do on the "say hi."  Though I've been a few times before, I'm looking forward to it.

We will be pouring Chocolate City's limited release Mr. Mayor on draft starting tonight. It is a Chocolate Stout 9% brewed with marionberry (get it). Hooker, b* tch to set you up companion and crack not included. Feel free to bring your own, but please be discrete. We have a lot of new stuff to go with it including slow roasted pork shoulder, a cured seafood platter, octopus stew, & Brussels sprouts with smoked onions & molasses glaze. Hope to see you there.

• Like 1

We will be pouring Chocolate City's limited release Mr. Mayor on draft starting tonight. It is a Chocolate Stout 9% brewed with marionberry (get it). Hooker, b* tch to set you up companion and crack not included. Feel free to bring your own, but please be discrete. We have a lot of new stuff to go with it including slow roasted pork shoulder, a cured seafood platter, octopus stew, & Brussels sprouts with smoked onions & molasses glaze. Hope to see you there.

Chefs, see what can happen when you post here? A tweet with 2,600 followers ... takes you one minute ... costs you nothing ... a win-win-win for everyone (restaurant, website, diners). No promises, but

a post like Drew's,

about booze,

is some news,

we can all use.

(4-3-3-4)

• Like 1

We happened to be walking by tonight and I remembered today's post, so we stopped in for the first time. It was exactly what we needed at the moment. A chill, local place with great drinks - I really liked the til the bitter end - great service and pretty good food. Our favorites were the octopus stew, the smoked trout in the seafood platter and the ice cream sundae. The fondue was excellent, like a thin beer cheese, and the accompanying potatoes were good but a bit greasy. We also had the pork shoulder, but it wasn't my favorite; I did like the hot sauce served with it. Overall, it was a wonderfully comfortable and casual meal, and I would totally stop by again next time I'm in the neighborhood.

I braved the crowds and took the little dude to Zoo Lights last night, and after 1.5 hrs of dealing with a sea of humanity, I was in desperate need of a drink, and the boy was hungry.  We met my better half at DK, which was inexplicably and unfortunately very un-busy at 7:15ish despite the masses of families wandering to and from the Zoo.

The food was a solid "neighborhood" level...which is to say, I wouldn't make DK a destination to drive across town for, but would certainly head back if I were in the area, and would happily recommend it to anyone who finds themselves in Woodley Park.  I sure wish it would've existed a few years ago when we first moved to DC and lived right off Kalorama Park.

The crispy fried shitakes would've made a great bar snack if I weren't on call and stuck sipping on club soda to calm my frazzled nerves.  The fried clams had a nice crunch, and paired nicely with the creamy sauce and pickled peppers, but ultimately were overshadowed by too much breading. (There were 3 pieces of half-dollar sized chunks of just breading masquerading as clams on the plate.)  My wife's penne with pancetta and beans (I forget which type) was excellent, with pleasantly al dente beans, and no skimping on the pancetta. Nicely roasted brussels sprouts and caramelized onions and kabocha squash with duck bacon and chevre rounded things out...nothing to complain or rave about there.

Unfortunately, the only downside of the meal was the service.  The waiter seemed scattered or overwhelmed, or something.  We mentioned that the squash was for our son, and he asked if it should come out first, to which we said yes.  Later, I had to flag him down and remind him that we had ordered drinks other than water (my wife had a cocktail that she rather enjoyed, and I don't remember the name of), and they ultimately came out just after all of our food except the squash was brought to the table.  The squash made its way out a couple minutes later, so ultimately no big deal...just not what I would expect from a dining room that was no more than 1/4 full, with only 3 people sitting at the bar.

All that said, though, we all enjoyed the food, toddler included, so I can't really get too excited about the service snafus.

Lots of new stuff to warm you up. Baby back rib soup w/ thai curry broth, Calves liver w/ onions & housemade pancetta, sablefish collar, red wine risotto w/ foie gras-sweetbread sausage& blue cheese, warm sour cream coffee cake, with coffee ice cream, & hot toddies Come cure your cabin fever.

Hope to see you,

New-ish menu roll out;

Our menu consists of small to medium plates. We encourage sharing.

Create your own tasting menu.

(items with an * can be doubled as an entrée)

CHEESE/HOUSEMADE CHARCUTERIE

chopped chicken liver...apple chutney, cranberry-walnut bread $8

wild boar rillettes...asian pear mustard, pickled sweet onions, bread $9

dk deviled eggs...smoked paprika, spanish anchovies $6

artisanal cheese selection...lavash, wine jelly $4 each  SEE LIST

PASTA/STARCHES

warm buttermilk biscuits...herbed pumpkin butter $6

baked yukon gold potato...taleggio cheese sauce, duck bacon, chives $8

spaghetti...housemade coppa, caramelized onions, olives, blue cheese $11*

red wine risotto...grana padano$7

VEGETABLES

forest mushroom salad...citrus-lemongrass sauce, soft egg, mint, cilantro $11

trumpet mushroom terrine...sherry jelly, marinated leeks, grilled bread $10

crepe lasagna...three cheeses, greens, sweet onions $11

apple cider-soy braised parsnips...toasted rice powder $7

grilled heirloom carrots...burrata, pistachio pesto $8

dk salad...salanova, brioche croutons, pickled beans, poppy seed vinaigrette $8

housemade pickle selection $4 each /3 for $11 /6 for $20 SEE LIST

SEAFOOD

steamed blue bay mussels ...spicy saffron pan sauce, cous-cous $11*

house cured steelhead trout gravlax ...dill sour cream, grilled bread $8

warm alder smoked haddock brandade...parsley-caper salad, lavash $8

glazed sablefish collar...king oyster mushroom salad, coconut dipping sauce $12

MEATS

sautéed calves liver... onions, housemade pancetta, mustard vinaigrette $11

½ maple glazed game hen ... sweet potato latke, warm dried cranberry relish $11*

open faced oxtail sandwich...tomato-tamarind gravy, crispy shallots, cheddar $10*

5 oz wagyu bavette steak...baked potato, blue cheese-horseradish sauce $16*

We are calling the oxtails a sloppy dk, the liver is from Martin's beef in the Plains VA, game hens are organic from amish country, & the haddock is house smoked. Earth N Eats is keeping us with produce this winter. Come see us.

• Like 2

Come get some food before snowmageddopocalypyse 3.0 Valentine's week of death storm traps you in your house! You might want to have some leftovers so you're not forced to eat pet food or even worse your pets. We are also conveniently located next to Ace Hardware so you can buy all of the batteries and hunting knives you'll need to survive. WARNING: I may be engaging in hyperbole.

• Like 1

Just what I didn't need to hear!  Lamenting the demise of Palena, I thought I'd take a moment to remind people of another neighborhood gem.  Can't find the news on Eater (and, apparently, I can't read cough), so don't know where Drew is headed.  Are you able to say more at this point?

A couple of friends and I ended up here for brunch on Sunday after an 8-mile run. I had the shrimp and cheddar polenta, which was delightful -- lovely, creamy polenta, a few slices of crisp andouille sausage, and five perfectly cooked shrimp. Delicious. My friends had the eggs benedict and the omelet, each of which came with a giant mound of delicious-looking fried potatoes. We skipped the bottomless mimosas. Would gladly end another long run here.

District Kitchen has quickly become our go to place for brunch along upper Ct Ave.  I appreciate that, for the most part, they don't try to over think things.  The egg sandwich ($8) is two fried eggs, melted cheese, tomato and avocado on a brioche bun - straight forward but delicious.  The DK home fries are very good - just fried chunks of potato but really tasty and crisp.  The Bloody Mary is solid, it could use a little more punch to cut through the hangover.  The omelet ($10) is also very solid and the "ranch-quiles" ($11) are basically breakfast nachos.  If tabasco and sriracha aren't your thing, the kitchen staff has a stash of Cholula in back.  I only wish they offered some sort of pastry item to nibble on while waiting for your brunch items.  A couple large umbrellas on the patio would also be nice.

Every time we have been to District Kitchen for brunch, it's always been half to 3/4 full, so getting a table has never been a problem.  Yet Open City around the corner has lines out the door.     

We had dinner here for the first time in a long while.  There has indeed been a change in chefs, and the menu is very different.  I think it's fair to say that the new menu is more "standard" in its format and content (salads, entrees, etc.), and somewhat less "interesting", than it had been before.  I think that what I would say is that the level of execution matches the level of aspiration, more fully than it used to in my experiences.  (I don't mean to be saying anything negative about anyone, because I know that execution is not any one person's sole responsibility.)  You can see the menu online, and everything was as described.  There were nice pasta dishes and some good happy hour drinks.  In any event, it was a pleasant dinner, a solid B+, which in Woodley Park puts you high on the curve.

Now, please fix the rest of the restaurants in the block (both sides), and fix whatever is wrong with Cleveland Park,too.

Whenever you're inclined to lament the state of Connecticut Avenue in Woodley Park or Cleveland Park, just contemplate Wisconsin Avenue in Tenleytown, and thank your lucky stars.