Tortilla Coast, Tex-Mex on Capitol Hill - Closed on Jul 26, 2020

I've been to the new one on P Street. The service was fantastic, and everyone we interacted with there went above and beyond to make our night enjoyable, fawning over our one year old, bringing his food out quickly, bringing over extras (a plate of tortillas when the waiter noticed he liked them, that sort of thing.) Frankly, I also appreciated how unlike most other Logan Circle places, Tortilla Coast was filled with families with kids the time we went...but honestly, the food was all pretty terrible. I don't say that lightly, and I feel bad because they were so nice to us. But it was universally bland and uninteresting. I'd say it's a good place to go either for drinks, or for a meal with people who want Tex-Mex but may have very timid palates.

This is all fine and good, but let's be honest: this place will make a killing in that location. Walk by sometime in, say, mid-May when the patio has been open. I predict Lauriol Plaza South.

Based on experiences with the CH location I will be perfectly happy having chips, beer and margaritas on their patio. And the intern ratio will be significantly reduced.

Capitol Hill twitter is abuzz: Tortilla Coast is closing permanently. I can't find the tweet again that gave the effective date. I think it's July 19th. (It's all been secondhand but from multiple sources.)

This is the announcement from Union Pub, which operates in Tortilla Coast's original space on the Senate side:

Tortilla Coast was convenient to the Cannon House Office Building, so meeting the staffers for lunch was always convenient. Happy hour was almost all House staffers, and it was something of an institution in that neck of the woods. They'll need a new watering hole when normal, whatever that is, resumes.