Chang -- The Movie

johnb

This gives me an idea for a new Food Network series entitled "Fugitive Chef."

edited to add: and that would make a pretty nifty screen name as well.

The comment above from a post over six years ago turns out to be prophetic.

Dave McIntyre has a piece in tomorrow's WashPo about a recent Peter Chang Chinese New Years dinner he attended, a preparation for the upcoming Beard House dinner, pairing Chang's dishes with Virginia wines from Jefferson Vinyards.

http://www.washingto...LrNQ_story.html

In his article McIntyre makes mention of an upcoming movie about the Chang saga. Thus, the cat has now been let out of the bag, so I feel at last it is appropriate to share some information.

Forgive me if the following seems hedged -- it is.

There indeed is a movie in the works. A group of film people saw potential in the story told by Calvin Trillin in his New Yorker article, and pitched the idea to one of the major studios. The folks at the studio agreed, and the project is in the very early stages. These are serious people. My wife and I had the opportunity, a couple of months ago, to meet several of the parties involved at Chang's place in Atlanta, where Chang treated us to a banquet the likes of which I had never imagined. The group, all of whom flew in just for the meal, were all great people and totally down to earth (though I will admit that names like "Meryl" occasionally casually popped into the conversation, and no, no one by that name was there).

While nothing is certain, and I am learning how long these sorts of projects take to come to fruition, this does look like a go. I don't know much at this stage about who will be doing what, except that the screenwriter, an individual who has achieved the highest recognition of the industry, has been named and is at work.

It's just so sad that Stephen Banker isn't here to share in this. It was his efforts that really made this happen.

I'll follow up when I can.

It's just so sad that Stephen Banker isn't here to share in this. It was his efforts that really made this happen.

No, it's not sad; if he helped made it happen, it will be a lasting testimony to (part of) his ample life. After I die (hopefully a long time in the future), I hope LOTS of things happen to perpetuate my life that I'll never know about when I'm alive. I'm really glad I went to his tribute, and to meet some of the people who were important in his life (and to whom he was important). He was the nicest gentleman - so very kind and likable - and I'll never forget him.

Indeed, Stephen Banker alerted Calvin Trillin. But don't forget about James Glucksman, aka Pandahugga, who years ago looked through a glass door at a nondescript strip mall Chinese restaurant and was able to read, in Chinese, a certificate on the wall identifying the chef as the #1 graduate of the Chengdu Szechuan chefs' academy. James alerted the local Chowhounders and also translated the Chinese menu into English, enabling all of us to explore Peter Chang's authentic dishes, and form the nidus of the Chang craze.

Indeed, Stephen Banker alerted Calvin Trillin. But don't forget about James Glucksman, aka Pandahugga, who years ago looked through a glass door at a nondescript strip mall Chinese restaurant and was able to read, in Chinese, a certificate on the wall identifying the chef as the #1 graduate of the Chengdu Szechuan chefs' academy. James alerted the local Chowhounders and also translated the Chinese menu into English, enabling all of us to explore Peter Chang's authentic dishes, and form the nidus of the Chang craze.

True, but unlike Stephen, James is still alive and kicking, or cooking as the case may be. Regarding recent developments, he's in the loop.

Since it has now appeared in the press, I can confirm that the main movie person involved in the film project is Stanley Tucci, and the studio is Fox Searchlight.

http://www.readtheho...aking-nyc-storm

Tucci is well known to food/movie folks for a number of food related projects, most notably Big Night, and Julie & Julia in which he played Paul Child, Julia's husband, opposite Meryl Streep. He also recently was involved in "Wine Talk" on PBS. Other prominent roles included "Devil/Prada" (Streep again), Margin Call, Lovely Bones, and he will be appearing in the upcoming "The Hunger Games" (not a food movie). He has his own production company, not to mention a beautiful, charming, and engaging fiance, Felicity Blunt.

Searchlight is a division of 20th Century Fox concentrating on independent films.