kirite

My family vacationed there a few summers ago. We stayed in a suite at the Hyatt (I think it was a Hyatt but is now called Grand Cayman Beach Suites) the island had not yet fully recovered from the hurricanes and only a few hotels were open. First, know when the cruise ships come in and don't go to the town those days, and if you need a rental car, plan ahead for those same cruise ship days. Second, the piña coladas at the Ritz are outrageously expensive and worth every penny. Third, go on a jet ski/snorkel adventure. For food, a few things: We ate almost every evening meal at the restaurant at the Ritz, Periwinkle, although I do not know if I would call it sheltered - it is covered, but open air. Lots of pastas and other family friendly options and not horribly expensive; they let the kids feed the fish cuttings to the real fish swimming around the dock, and they show family movies on a big outdoor screen. There is also a sushi restaurant at the former Hyatt called Bamboo where we ate two nights, and had amazingly good yellowtail. I would hope there are more restaurants open now. For lunches, we mostly just ate wherever we happened to be, nothing spectacular. A healthy walking distance from our hotel there was a small strip mall type of place, with a decent chicken rotisserie. We also bought food at a local grocery store for sandwiches, snacks, and breakfast each day. The Caymans are no different from the other islands - everything is really expensive.

We were there for a week in 2007, stayed at a timeshare on the east end and drove all over the island. The only meal I recalled, probably because I enjoy Caribbean cuisine, is a lunch at Over the Edge. I love salt fish and this the only place that I found that served Codfish & ackee (I don't care for ackee though). If you have a car and plan on driving around, I suggest a stop here. It's not fancy, just a quiet place with a great view. I believe I also had the turtle steak - they farm turtles on Grand Cayman. It tastes like beef.