Range, Chevy Chase - Chef Matthew McGhee Replaces Matt Hill, GM Jon Barry Replaces Steven Fowler in a 14,000 Square Foot Space - Closed

Wow! The hype surrounding this restaurant is incredible. How can it possibly live up to expectations?

I'm not sure that it will, and I hope my post wasn't construed as "hype." The location alone ensures a limited crowd, although the approach to the restaurant does have a type of "Time-Warner Center Per Se" feel to it.

That said, they (Volt Ink) hired both Edan Macquaid and Julian Shapiro, so I'm comfortable predicting that the pizzas and charcuterie will be top-notch right off the bat. :)

My educated guess, based on nothing but geographical knowledge, is that many people dining in this area (which includes Cheesecake Factory, Clyde's, Chadwick's, and Maggiano's nestled among Neiman-Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Mazza Gallerie) are ripe targets for being convinced into going much more upscale in their dining habits, and have the resources to do so without flinching. It won't be the crosstown "foodies" who make or break Range; it will be the wealthy, older shoppers, already walking about, just an escalator ride away.

That said, remember also that in this vicinity were Famoso and Rock Creek (upstairs at Mazza Gallerie), and we still have two very good restaurants in Indique Heights and Sushi-Ko (where I ended up last night). My guess (and it's only a guess) is that both of these very good restaurants have pushed through mighty challenges just surviving. Perhaps that's why Range is trying to be "all things to all people" - it really *needs* all people. I suspect the rent here is not cheap.

Wow, we're already on page two of this thread, and the restaurant hasn't even opened. Please do not forget to look at rockcreek's stunning Soft-Opening Pictures of Range <--- click there.

Doesn't anyone else find that menu is incredibly expensive?

There's only so much we can surmise from just a menu, but assuming I have a fair idea of portion size, I think the prices are in keeping with what you would find in/with similar establishments/dishes. Keep in mind that a few of the really pricey items like the beef shin we've established are larger portions for sharing amongst a table. Not sure if maybe those were the things that were catching your eye.

These portions were definitely share-sized. Our server did tell us that the idea was "small plates", and that they suggested 3-4 plates would make a good meal. Also that some dishes (like the merguez shank) were definitely sized for two.

Now then: I have a complex and evolving relationship with my health and restaurant portions. In my opinion, just about everybody serves portions that are too large. If it were just me and the Mrs. and the restaurant was already a year old, we probably would have gotten two or three, split them all, and either left completely filled or made some conscious decision to not lick the plates. (Which, after a lifetime of training, is still difficult for me to resist.)

I recognize, after the photo spread, that I have shredded any credibility I have about portion control and plate sizing. It's a fair rap. :-)

My educated guess, based on nothing but geographical knowledge, is that many people dining in this area (which includes Cheesecake Factory, Clyde's, Chadwick's, and Maggiano's nestled among Neiman-Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Mazza Gallerie) are ripe targets for being convinced into going much more upscale in their dining habits, and have the resources to do so without flinching. It won't be the crosstown "foodies" who make or break Range; it will be the wealthy, older shoppers, already walking about, just an escalator ride away.

That said, remember also that in this vicinity were Famoso and Rock Creek (upstairs at Mazza Gallerie), and we still have two very good restaurants in Indique Heights and Sushi-Ko (where I ended up last night). My guess (and it's only a guess) is that both of these very good restaurants have pushed through mighty challenges just surviving. Perhaps that's why Range is trying to be "all things to all people" - it really *needs* all people. I suspect the rent here is not cheap.

Also in the (general) neighborhood: Lia's, Clyde's Chevy Chase, Rosa Mexicano. I mean, i think they can attract cross-town diners because you can just roll right off the Red Line and take the escalator up. I would hope they get more Montgomery County diners who wouldn't otherwise venture into the City, but would definitely come here because it's not that far and the wine and spirits program is a quantum leap forward.

This restaurant is getting PR out of the area. Someone I know who works in the industry in DC is going to Range Thursday night because a friend coming into town from Dallas (I think) got a reservation for them to go there. The industry person knew nothing about what the restaurant was at all before we had a conversation and I attempted to explain what I knew about it.

Wow! The hype surrounding this restaurant is incredible. How can it possibly live up to expectations?

I would not characterize the hype as unreal, but tonight Range certainly surpassed my expectations. The restaurant is tastefully contemporary and beautiful. It is large, very large, with great private party space that I predict will be heavily used, but it also is designed with a surprising amount of community (dare I say intimacy) that fosters a lot of positive energy. I know that sounds weird for such a large restaurant, but think Zaytinya, a huge restaurant that has great energy and a communal environment. The visual when you hit the floor is disarmingly dramatic, walking up a flight of stairs from a nondescript office building lobby and landing in a gorgeous, vibrant, food lover's paradise - instant coolness. Upon entering the restaurant, the bar - packed and dynamic tonite (a scene I suspect will be the norm) sets the stage. And what a stage. The open kitchen that wraps around the back of the restaurant is simply stunning (seriously, if you are into kitchen equipment, as I am, you will have a field day before you even sit down!), and what flows from that kitchen follows suit. I am not going to review my meal in detail - suffice to say i did a LOT of damage - about 15 dishes. I enjoyed every single dish, and while I had favorites I would not hesitate to order any of those dishes again. I'm still tasting my first bite of the night, the scallop from the raw bar - at the same elevated level as the scallop on the fruits de mer I had last weekend at the Nomad. That set a very high bar, but one Chef Voltaggio and staff hurdled. It is an ambitious menu, but a menu crafted with care - that meshes well. It is certainly not trying to be, as one poster said, all things to all people. And to allay another poster's concern, the FOH was doing very well tonite - and its the first nite - so while I am sure they will feel the same growing pains every new restaurant endures, they are clearly well ahead of the norm. Concern about vegetarian options is also misplaced. i had the carrots/turnips, brussels sprouts, sunchokes, and mushrooms - a quartet that would make an awesome veggie plate. And there were plenty of others - numerous potato dishes, roasted cauliflower and more. As for the comment about this restaurant being expensive, I don't see it. The veggies - solid portions - $6-8, the yummy crudos - 5-6 pieces of fish at $12-14, a shareable piece of excellent black cod for $14. I thought the prices - for the level of quality and execution - were more than reasonable. As were the prices on the thoughtful, well-curated wine list. Owen Thompson heads the bar program - so they are all set in that department as well. IMO Chef Voltaggio and his team have a huge hit on their hands, a restaurant that this area of town desperately needed, a restaurant that will draw from all over the city as well as MOCO and NOVA, a restaurant that was utterly impressive initially for its bold ambition and tonite for its commensurate level of execution and performance. I will be there often. Oh, and for the wondering poster, the kimchi/uni/scallop pasta was fantastic!

I made a reservation on Open Table and was trying to change it, with no luck. I finally posted something on their Facebook page. Someone from Range did respond and changed my reservation. So until they open and list a telephone number, I recommend Facebook.

Well, we still haven't received a reply to Friday's Facebook post, but I found out they now have a phone number, answered by a real, live person: 202-803-8020.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to increase our reservation from 2 to 4, but the person I spoke with said they do set aside some tables for walk-ins, plus there's always the bar, as mentioned upthread.

I would not characterize the hype as unreal, but tonight Range certainly surpassed my expectations. The restaurant is tastefully contemporary and beautiful. It is large, very large, with great private party space that I predict will be heavily used, but it also is designed with a surprising amount of community (dare I say intimacy) that fosters a lot of positive energy. I know that sounds weird for such a large restaurant, but think Zaytinya, a huge restaurant that has great energy and a communal environment. The visual when you hit the floor is disarmingly dramatic, walking up a flight of stairs from a nondescript office building lobby and landing in a gorgeous, vibrant, food lover's paradise - instant coolness. Upon entering the restaurant, the bar - packed and dynamic tonite (a scene I suspect will be the norm) sets the stage. And what a stage. The open kitchen that wraps around the back of the restaurant is simply stunning (seriously, if you are into kitchen equipment, as I am, you will have a field day before you even sit down!), and what flows from that kitchen follows suit. I am not going to review my meal in detail - suffice to say i did a LOT of damage - about 15 dishes. I enjoyed every single dish, and while I had favorites I would not hesitate to order any of those dishes again. I'm still tasting my first bite of the night, the scallop from the raw bar - at the same elevated level as the scallop on the fruits de mer I had last weekend at the Nomad. That set a very high bar, but one Chef Voltaggio and staff hurdled. It is an ambitious menu, but a menu crafted with care - that meshes well. It is certainly not trying to be, as one poster said, all things to all people. And to allay another poster's concern, the FOH was doing very well tonite - and its the first nite - so while I am sure they will feel the same growing pains every new restaurant endures, they are clearly well ahead of the norm. Concern about vegetarian options is also misplaced. i had the carrots/turnips, brussels sprouts, sunchokes, and mushrooms - a quartet that would make an awesome veggie plate. And there were plenty of others - numerous potato dishes, roasted cauliflower and more. As for the comment about this restaurant being expensive, I don't see it. The veggies - solid portions - $6-8, the yummy crudos - 5-6 pieces of fish at $12-14, a shareable piece of excellent black cod for $14. I thought the prices - for the level of quality and execution - were more than reasonable. As were the prices on the thoughtful, well-curated wine list. Owen Thompson heads the bar program - so they are all set in that department as well. IMO Chef Voltaggio and his team have a huge hit on their hands, a restaurant that this area of town desperately needed, a restaurant that will draw from all over the city as well as MOCO and NOVA, a restaurant that was utterly impressive initially for its bold ambition and tonite for its commensurate level of execution and performance. I will be there often. Oh, and for the wondering poster, the kimchi/uni/scallop pasta was fantastic!

Thanks for the wonderful post, Mark.

Get it? Postmark?

Also in the (general) neighborhood: Lia's, Clyde's Chevy Chase, Rosa Mexicano. I mean, i think they can attract cross-town diners because you can just roll right off the Red Line and take the escalator up. I would hope they get more Montgomery County diners who wouldn't otherwise venture into the City, but would definitely come here because it's not that far and the wine and spirits program is a quantum leap forward.

Y'all left out Capital Grille and PF Changs. FH is a bastion of mediocre upscale chains -- and from what I've seen (Clyde's being the partial exception, especially for older people and their extended families), the clientele isn't really the neighborhood. It's shoppers and office workers and people hosting rehearsal dinners, office parties, etc.. When the locals go out for dinner, we generally leave the area (destinations vary -- the non-foodies head to Bethesda, the foodies spread out). Sushiko and Indique Heights are the bright spots. Interestingly, they're both places that my neighbors and I used to travel to (Glover Park, Cleveland Park locations) that are now close by/more convenient.

I'm eager to try Range. (Though the menu makes me think that veggie-daughter won't be interested.) Can't imagine going regularly because if I'm going to drop that kind of money on dinner, I want to feel like I've had a night out (rather than in the local mall/metro entrance). What I haven't understood yet is whether it's just a restaurant or more of a food emporium. Must explore tomorrow.

Went last night and sampled a few things. The cocktails were superb and really enjoyed the ginger beer we ordered afterward.. Loved the duck galantine with candied quince -- and it made me want to eat my way through all the charcuterie in the future. The chestnut ravioli was a bit dense but the flavors were excellent, especially a pureed essence of parsnip. We ordered the wrong pizza -- a bacon-onion-cheese that was too beige in flavor and appearance. . And the crust was undersalted and a little underdeveloped in flavor. But I love Edan MacQaid's pizzas, so I am sure it will improve. The vegetable side dishes were excellent, particularly the roasted brussels sprouts. I was amused by the color of thre screamingly green cream of chard, but it was a bit too salty. Very accomodating staff. Beautiful decor.

This place is very promising. I just returned from dinner and was largely impressed with the food -- a few quibbles, and a couple outright misfires, but mostly successes.

The atmosphere can't quite shake the feel of a mall food court, as the setting isn't disguised as in most of the restaurants at the Time Warner Center. (There was an interior space, not in use tonight, that has a warmer, more intimate feel.) The service was a little green but well-meaning, and certainly on the way to being well-trained.

Like Mark, I had the bay scallops from the raw bar ($18) as my first bites, and they were indeed wonderful, though (very minor quibble) a couple were dressed a little too heavily with olive oil (I skipped the accompanying sauces entirely).

The tagliatelle with beef cheeks ($10) was also one of my favorite dishes of the evening, capturing a kind of refined rusticity that reflects Range's cooking at its best. Delicate noodles with a nice chew, and subtle but unfussy flavors. Note: though the dish was called tagliatelle on the menu, the server presented it as pappardelle, which seemed to more accurately describe the width of the pasta.

Kimchi linguini, uni, bay scallops, nasturtium ($14): full disclosure -- I'm one of the only Koreans in the world who hates the taste of kimchi. But my mother raved about the "authentic kimchi flavor" of the noodles, and I had to admit, it was pretty damn good. It captures the flavor, but not the sheer pungency, of kimchi. A smartly conceived and well-executed dish, with everything in balance.

Roseda beef cap of ribeye ($15): rib cap, with its richness, is the only cut of steak I like to cook to medium, rather than medium-rare or less. This preparation was sliced thinly and didn't quite capture the sheer indulgent quality of the cut I'm used to from cooking Bryan Flannery's rib caps at home. But it was still a good and serious cut of beef.

The kampachi collar with soffrito ($14) was a pleasing marriage of fish and sauce; I only wish the meat-to-bone ratio had been higher for the price.

The oyster and shiitake mushrooms were the only serious misfire of the savory courses. Finding it seriously over-salted, we sent it back, and the second batch we received was still inedibly salty. I suspect the marinade is over-seasoned and couldn't be adjusted mid-service. Our server kindly took it off the bill.

This was my first time tasting one of Edan's pizzas, and after everything I've heard, I was ultimately disappointed in the margherita pizza ($12). I appreciated the lightness and chew of the crust, and the pizza was clearly not just the work of an ordinary craftsman. Yet the crust didn't have the depth of flavor I crave in a Neapolitan style pizza, and the cheese tasted overly salty. It was a perfectly pleasant pizza, but it just didn't sing to me (as the pizza at Keste did on a recent visit). Given everything else on the menu, I doubt I'll order the pizza again. Incidental note: my pizza had less char on it than the one pictured in rockcreek's post. I also observed that my pizza appeared to be made by an assistant, and not Edan, who seemed more preoccupied with preparing the other wood oven dishes.

The desserts were a let down. The rice pudding ($10) was boring and flat, with no depth of flavor, and the melange of accompaniments (quince, chocolate, brazil nuts, marshmallows) just made for an uninspired muddle on the plate. Not good. The trio of sorbets were pleasant but nothing special, with the quince being the most interesting.

One final note on value: I didn't have the chance to try one of the larger meat dishes, but it seems to me that the relative values on the menu are the $30+ meat courses shared by 2 or more people, rather than the $10-15 dishes.

This post probably sounds a bit more mixed than my overall impression, which was quite positive. I'm eager to return, though they seemed to be quite booked up for a while.

My husband and I dined at the bar tonight because I just didn't want to wait until we have reservation a full month from now. I look forward to working my way through the cocktail list on future visits. Lots of interesting options. I had Mexican Warhead with mezcal, roasted apple, strawberry, vinegar and apricot. It really packed a punch!

I was absolutely wowed by the kimchi linguini with scallops, uni, and nasturtium. Beautiful, and flavorful, and possibly addictive. I think I could eat this dish every day. The brussels sprouts were also quite good. My husband loved black cod with barbeque hazelnuts and sorghum. The only problem is that he doesn't eat meat and there were clearly bits of bacon in the sauce (doubly bad since he keeps Kosher). Oops.

We had Margherita pizza and it was fine but nothing special. The crust was good but the sauce was somewhat bland. Other pizzas on the menu looked more interesting but all had meat and we were discouraged from ordering them with a major component removed.

On my next visit I'll definitely have to venture over to the wood grill portion of the menu.

Went to dinner here on Saturday. Thought the food was quite good but the service was abysmal.

Food:

- We started with the bay scallops - They were served raw with some finely chopped mango and a small thing of pickled cabbage. Very nice. Very fresh. At $19, didn't seem horribly expensive given the quality.

- We had the cornbread and bacon jam. Bacon jam was great - so good. The cornbread was good, moist, not crumbly as some other reviews I read noted. For $3 seemed like a good value.

- Potted Foie Gras - A gorgeous, very substantial portion of potted foie gras. Served with some very nice brioche. WOW this was good. Smooth, creamy, foie-y. And a very good value. If you like foie, get this. So good.

- Beef cap of ribeye - Nicely cooked, a little oversalted but tasty and cooked perfectly as requested.

- Oven roasted sunchokes - These were very nice. I honestly have never had sunchokes so I was thinking these would be like artichokes - wrong - pretty much like potatoes. Very nice roasting, great flavor and the lemon zest lightened it up.

- Kimchi linguini with uni and scallop - I loved this dish. The noodles had very little kimchi flavor and were quite al dente but overall the disch worked well. The uni was delicious, as were the wonderful tiny bay scallops.

- Chocolate sorbet; espresso ice cream; caramel ice cream - The ice creams at Range are wonderful. Among the better ones I have had recently. Perfect consistency and mouth feel - very creamy, no ice crystals; delicious. Highly recommended.

- Banana bread pudding and milk stout ice cream - The banana pudding was a huge let down. The most tasteless excuse for a bread pudding I have eaten. Blah. But that milk stout ice cream - so freakin good. Creamy, wonderful stout flavor and a wonderful alcohol aftertaste. I really liked this ice cream a lot.

Service:

- Absolutely terrible. Got in at 8:30. Left at 11. So slow. And our waitress was aloof. We ordered one drink each, water was rarely refilled, never asked if we wanted other drinks, etc. The worst service in DC in a long time. This was surprising given how many people are working here.

- They don't validate for parking.

I think the restaurant will be successful, but service needs to improve quite a lot. Food was great.

Service:

- Absolutely terrible. Got in at 8:30. Left at 11. So slow. And our waitress was aloof. We ordered one drink each, water was rarely refilled, never asked if we wanted other drinks, etc. The worst service in DC in a long time. This was surprising given how many people are working here.

- They don't validate for parking.

I have to agree on the service - Tonight I felt like an afterthought of a staff that really did not want to work. There was nothing comfortable about dinner. No one wanted to spend any time at the table, When the waiter found out we were not ordering wine by the bottle they very quickly lost interest in serving the table. I have been very turned off - Which is a shame because I was excited to come in tonight.

My wife, myself and two big and hungry adult sons(19 and 22) ate at range Monday night.

The short version is we would go back but perhaps be a bit more selection with ordering. Service wasnt great and that in part could have been due to how new it is and the fact that we were one of the alst tables before the holiday.

It took a long time after being seated to be greated by our server and another really long wait before she took our drink orders. Sensing the timing was off my two starving sons ordered several appetizers.

1-Assorted cheese plate- Very good selection of 5 cheeses, nutted bread and spreads

2-Assorted bread plate-This was huge and contained both breads as well as the cordbread skillet with bacon spread..Very well received

3-Garlic Sausage-This was just OK, I liked it but rest of family thought is was just ok

Besides the timing issue, the server should have commented as to how much food we had alreadly ordered. My two sons are both large boys and the younger one, who plays college hockey and eats 6 times a day, can eat more then anyone I've ever seen. It was all finished but boy was that a lot off food.

For Entrees

1-Pizza with Salami- I didnt try it but it was consumed

2-Beef Hanging tender- This was served sliced. My two sons wailed on it proclaiming it some of the best beef they had ever had. ***Next time they each want one of these

3-Lamb Saddle stuffed with Meguez Sausage- large and meaty but not tremendous flavor compared to hanging tender

4-Fried Brussel Sprouts-Real good

5-Roasted mushooms-Real good

We found a nice bottle of Rhone wine-40-50 range, good and appropriate

Deserts-yeah sons were still hungry

Bread pudding with odd(too salty) ice cream. He devoured bread pudding which had a chocolate center

Brownie-A little dry, could have used a scoop of ice cream

Overall-We will go back. Seems like much availability for spntaneous bar seating as many of the cooking areas have bars facing the kitchens

I hope they improve the service-This is a large place and expediting and running is key

A great time was had by all

We had a Christmas Eve dinner here with a friend, and enoyed it very much. We did it as a blow-out meal--nothing held back, no politeness in reaching for the last piece of cornbread, the last slice of pizza--and we were happy with almost every dish and quite impressed with a few:

crudos were good (kampachi and yellowfin tuna) and the avocado cream served with one of them was subtle and splendid

duck gallantine was a nice starter; the winter truffle seemed superfluous, but the quince paste an essential complement

the bread basket, with the cornbread, was generous and delightful. Very welcoming.

the pumpernickel pasta was good. the gherkins were a nice add-in to the dish, the shaved lamb's tongue a bit player (no pun intended). I'd like to go back for more of the pastas; it seemed like they were done well, and done creatively.

the Pizza salumeria was great, and I'd love to come back just for pizza, sitting at the bar, perhaps, in front of (or catty-corner to) the oven.

the meat dishes and sides (Venison/pork cheeks/sweetbreads, brussels sprouts, french fries, and sunchokes) were all superstars in their own way. The venison was a beautiful piece of meat, perfectly seared, sliced, and served. The pork cheeks were sumptuous, and their tenderness makes them seem sinful. The sweetbreads were similarly satisfying.

Desserts were desserts; the coconut rice pudding was a nice capper to the meal; the bread pudding served with a seriously malty chocolate stout ice cream, and the blondie was a great rendition of the pecan-accented classic.

All in all, it was a bit overwhelming as a first experience, but that was to some extent our goal. I'd like to go back and do salumeria/cheese and pizzas one night; salads, starters, and entrees one night, etc. I think that dividing range up into more traditional sections would also be worthwhile. Maybe that's the point, here; this is a foodie version of a really, really good Chinese buffet (skipping the Chinese and the all-you-can-eat parts); very satisfying, something for everybody, and you can browse/graze the whole menu, or search/focus for the parts in which you are interested that night.

Anyone know how hard it is to walk in here on a Saturday early evening (before 6 pm) and grab a couple bar seats? How many bar seats do they actually have here?

There appeared to be many bar seats as they were positioned around the bar itself as well as all of the coooking stations i saw. There shouldnt be an issue grabbing a few seats to eat.

I was at Range a couple of weeks ago with the specific intent of sitting at the bar. We were told this only applied to the seats surrounding the bar and not around the cooking stations. There aren't that many seats at the bar and we had to stand around waiting for awhile and my husband ended up standing for most of the meal. I am not sure what the deal is with the seats around the cooking stations. Perhaps we were misinformed?

I was at Range a couple of weeks ago with the specific intent of sitting at the bar. We were told this only applied to the seats surrounding the bar and not around the cooking stations. There aren't that many seats at the bar and we had to stand around waiting for awhile and my husband ended up standing for most of the meal. I am not sure what the deal is with the seats around the cooking stations. Perhaps we were misinformed?

That's what I was told, too -- the "bar" seats around the stations are reserved. The fifteen or so (?) seats at the bar proper, by contrast, are first-come/first-served. Not surprisingly, the bartenders report that those seats are easiest to come by very early and late.

Any more recent takes? I'll be dining here on Saturday night and I'd love to hear more details about various dishes.

The bass w/hazelnuts was excellent. As was the linguine with uni. Roasted potatoes can be skipped, and so can the lobster macaroni, which is good but not worth the $18 or the calories.

Had an extremely positive first experience at Range this evening:

We had an early reservation (6pm) and upon arriving at 545 the space looked empty. Had their version of a Manhattan (delicious) while waiting for my party to arrive and the space quickly filled up. By the time our first courses started to arrive the place was humming. Once seated we had:

-Bread Basket - worth every cent of the 10 dollar price tag. A sampling of every bread on the menu, the cornbread with bacon marmalade and cheddar jalepeno biscuits were the standouts, but everything else was delicious

-Cheese sampler - for 12 dollars you get a small sample of every cheese on the menu. For 22 dollars these two orders get you a ton of food. None of the cheeses were out of this world, but everything was solid to good.

-Goat cheese raviloi with ragu and Tagliatelli with beef cheek stroganof were the two pastas we ordered. Both provided just enough of a taste for our table (of 4) to enjoy without stuffing us. The pastas were clearly made in house and presented with a nice chew. Each were sauced well and I would order again. I was tempted to get the kimchi pasta but my dining companions weren't feeling particularly adventurous.

-Pizza with pork sausage, smoked mozzarella and rapini. I saw Edan working the wood fired oven and the pizza had an excellent chew with the right level of salt. The mozzarella lacked a bit of the smokiness I had expected, but the pork sausage and rapini were an excellent pairing with the pie. At 4 slices, it was a good dish to share.

-Veal medallions with espresso spaezzle and fried oyster. The veal was truly cooked perfectly and the spaezzle was delicious. A small portion but it proved to be the right size as we were getting pretty full at this point and wanted dessert.

-Bread Pudding with Stout Gellato (Duck Rabbit), Deconstructed Apple Crumble, and Chocolate Tort. GET DESSERT here. Each one was beautifully presented and the taste did justice to the presentation. We also each took home a few samples from the candy cart that gets wheeled around.

So for quite a bit of food for 4, the bill (with two bottles of wine) ended up being about 60 a person. I thought it was excellent value for the quality of the food we enjoyed tonight. Additionally, I'd like to say that I was stunned at how many sub 50 dollar bottles of wine were on the wine list. I enjoyed a delicious ripasso and a dolcetto each of which clocked in under 40 dollars.

Both our waitress and the somm (both of whom I'm remiss in remembering their names...) were tremendous and provided the perfect level of service (not intrusive, but whenever we needed something or had a question, they were there).

All in all, I was really impressed and will absolutely be back.

• Like 1

Dinner last night with another couple was great (in some ways), not perfect (in other ways) and utterly overwhelming (sometimes good, sometimes bad).

I am still undecided on the setting. Part of me wants to say that I shouldn't care that much that it is in a mall, but sitting in Range, looking out of that wall of glass into a mall (or a hotel or whatever the hell it is), is a little weird. Our table for four was quite small. Not sure if all four tops are like that, but it became almost comical when they started bringing out our food (it felt like we all ordered fajitas at a Mexican restaurant). The restaurant was cold and never really seemed to warm up. The service was OK, not bad, but definitely could have been better. No specific complaints with this, but I walked away thinking "meh."

On the flip side, what isn't to like about Range! The cocktails (los rudos, mother-in-law) were spectacular. I liked the layout of their wine list and I enjoyed the selections that they offered. Markup seemed to be reasonable and they definitely took all price ranges into account. The bread basket was a complete and utter success (especially the cheddar chive biscuits). I felt that the pizza (bacon, charred onion, fresh cheese) was just so-so, but everyone else loved it. Pasta was another big hit, especially the goat cheese ravioli, as well as the pumpernickel cassarecci (although if you shave the lamb's tongue in it so that it is almost a negligible amount, you should say that on the menu). Loved the veal heart, pork cheeks and rabbit, pissed that we were too stuffed to get the sweetbreads.

And, if you think that the savory dishes at Range are great, wait until you get the dessert. We turned a blind eye to the full desserts and picked off the dessert cart that they were rolling around. Standouts included everything (seriously!), but if I had to pick, I would say that the crinkle cookies and the blondies were my favorite. By the way, I am pretty sure that the dessert bar is going to be a gold mine for Range. I counted up what we ordered and it came to $39, way more than we would ever spend on dessert for the four of us.

In the end, the food and drinks were exceptional, the setting and service could use some work. The service, I assume, will get better over time. The setting will be a tougher thing to fix, but minor tweaks can make it more enjoyable overall. But, we will keep coming back for the food, because there sure the hell is a lot of it to go through and everything that we've had so far has been great.

I was at Range twice in the last week. I was delighted that a new vegetarian pizza has been added to the menu with ricotta, meyer lemon, and arugula- simply outstanding! also really enjoyed the striped bass with bbq hazelnuts and sorghum and the leg of lamb with root vegetable puree. The bakers basket and spreads should not be missed. I have been working my way through the menu (have now been 3 times) and the only thing I would really steer away from is the pan roasted chicken and the special kampachi collar, soffrito and charred lemon. I found both dishes lackluster.

I happen to like the setting. There is a back room that doesn't overlook the mall, but it seems out of the way to me. I would much rather be in the thick of things and able to look at the various open cooking stations.

I actually haven't been terribly enamored with the desserts, but the chocolates look outstanding. I'm going to have to give those a try on my next visit.

Ate at Range on Friday night, and was pleasantly surprised to see Master Sommelier Kathy Morgan, working there. The wine list has a lot of reasonably priced selections. The fried brussel sprouts were fabulous, and the venison very tender and tasty. Can't wait to try the rabbit roulade next time. Had the banana bread pudding with chocolate stout ice cream -- it was okay, but one of the other desserts came with an intense dark chocolate sorbet that was over the top delicious. I agree with some of the comments that some of the dishes seem a little skimpy -- the crudo we ordered, for example, was only 4 very small, thin slices of fish -- very high quality but seemed a little skimpy.

I've been there twice now, once with a group of seven and once with a 3 top. Both times I've been heartily impressed. I took a lot of pictures the first time so you can see what the food looks like HERE and the second time I went with a chef/owner of another restaurant.

The first dinner was on a Saturday night. The house was packed, but the service was spot on. Kathy Morgan did take care of the wine service and we had 4 bottles, all charismatic and none more than $60/each.

There were a few hiccups in timing, but that is expected in a restaurant this young.

The favorites of the evening were the charcuterie plate, the seafood tower, the hanger steak, the lamb, and the rabbit.

The second time was on a Sunday night and the process was flawless. We were served some of the same dishes (we didn't order) we'd had on the Saturday visit, but also got to try two new ones, the sausage pizza from Mr. McQuaid and the roasted chicken. I don't believe I've ever had a better chicken. The pizza was very well done, just enough toppings to make it shine, and had a very nicely spiced sausage on it.

Bravo to this crew. They do have a lot of talent there, and it's a big place. I'm very pleased to not have to drive downtown to get a seriously good meal and Manhattan. You can feel comfortable there just going for a pizza, or bringing a client for an expense account meal.

BTW, our tab for the table of seven with cocktails, wine, and more food than we could eat was just a little over $120/pp.

Bravo to this crew. They do have a lot of talent there, and it's a big place.

They do have a lot of talent there, almost too much. And that's what worries me.

Kathy is working only part-time - another MS, Keith Goldston, is the Wine Director. And let's not forget Owen Thomson is behind the bar.

So what worries me? Againn (as one example) did the same type of thing, front-loading the restaurant with talent when it first opened. I'll be very curious to see where Range is a year, or two years, from now.

It's a legitimate business strategy, "If you build it, they will come." They, of course, being the restaurant critics, with reviews that are available for purchase, framed. "They" also being bloggers and customers drawn by rave reviews from critics and bloggers.

In the Dining Guide, I had Againn rated as the number one restaurant downtown east of 16th Street for quite awhile; it now sits down at the bottom of the list, in small font, because it has closed. You can look at Inox as another example, although that was not a good time to be opening in Tysons Corner - there will come a time, if that time has not already come, when I'm the only person to remember just how great that restaurant was.

Nobody is pulling for Range more than I am, and I hope they succeed and continue to grow, but it never hurts to be mindful of the past.

So what worries me? Againn (as one example) did the same type of thing, front-loading the restaurant with talent when it first opened. I'll be very curious to see where Range is a year, or two years, from now. . . . In the Dining Guide, I had Againn rated as the number one restaurant downtown east of 16th Street for quite awhile; it now sits down at the bottom of the list, in small font, because it has closed.

At the risk of piling on, allow me one last opportunity to express my displeasure with the departed Againn. It remains the worst restaurant experience I cann (see what I did there) recall. And I've dined with someone whom the restaurant set on fire. Not "singed," mind you; there were flames. My experience at Againn was worse than that.

My guess is that, whatever is behind it, this accumulation of talent is short-lived (such things usually are, anyway). But there's no reason to think that if the heavy hitters move on that this won't still be a good restaurant. There seems to be a competent and committed group of owners behind the place. And maybe some of them (or someone learning from them now) will stick around and Range will evolve into something really special.

Boy, they're like the New York Yankees.

Edan Macquaid making pizzas.

Julian Shapiro making charcuterie.

And now Kathy Morgan pouring wine.

Admittedly splitting hairs but more like the LA Dodgers nowadays. Yankees were so 00s. :)

Haven't tried Range yet but will soon. I share the observations/concerns that Rocks and RWBoone expressed upthread. On one hand, the Yankees rolled under George Steinbrenner. On the other, the Dodgers imploded last season after spending record amounts on talent.

Learning from failure and the past is the most underrated quality in business. Ego and hubris prevent many, many, many leaders from achieving successes rightfully theirs. I'm not at all tagging Range with that. I don't know them. But, as others have said, this is very much worth pointing out.

Boy, they're like the New York Yankees.

Edan Macquaid making pizzas.

Julian Shapiro making charcuterie.

And now Kathy Morgan pouring wine.

Julien. It's French. He does more than charcuterie and unlike those who chase a ball around for our entertainment he gets paid much less than he deserves.

They do have a lot of talent there, almost too much. And that's what worries me.

Kathy is working only part-time - another MS, Keith Goldston, is the Wine Director. And let's not forget Owen Thomson is behind the bar.

So what worries me? Againn (as one example) did the same type of thing, front-loading the restaurant with talent when it first opened. I'll be very curious to see where Range is a year, or two years, from now.

It's a legitimate business strategy, "If you build it, they will come." They, of course, being the restaurant critics, with reviews that are available for purchase, framed. "They" also being bloggers and customers drawn by rave reviews from critics and bloggers.

In the Dining Guide, I had Againn rated as the number one restaurant downtown east of 16th Street for quite awhile; it now sits down at the bottom of the list, in small font, because it has closed. You can look at Inox as another example, although that was not a good time to be opening in Tysons Corner - there will come a time, if that time has not already come, when I'm the only person to remember just how great that restaurant was.

Nobody is pulling for Range more than I am, and I hope they succeed and continue to grow, but it never hurts to be mindful of the past.

Have you been to Range and/or ever eaten anything I make? I can not speak for my colleagues, but if I wanted empty praise, I’d have my parents over for dinner.

What this city does not need is another slow-pitch tenured food critic who calls in dutch-rudder reviews because they are friendly with the chef/owner and only eats there as a formality.

• Like 1

I look forward to dining at Range and don't see the accumulation of talent as some sort of short-term PR boost. Rather, the few times I have met Bryan Voltaggio, before he was Bryan Voltaggio, and he struck me as a very smart, very shrewd, very capable individual. These hires speak more to that, in my humble opinion, than anything else.

Julien. It's French. He does more than charcuterie and unlike those who chase a ball around for our entertainment he gets paid much less than he deserves.

Have you been to Range and/or ever eaten anything I make? I can not speak for my colleagues, but if I wanted empty praise, Id have my parents over for dinner.

What this city does not need is another slow-pitch tenured food critic who calls in dutch-rudder reviews because they are friendly with the chef/owner and only eats there as a formality.

You and Edan need to accept the fact that I have to look up your names *every single time* I write them (it's true). The one time I didn't, I got the spelling wrong. Now, at least, I'll remember that it's the French version.

I went to Range during the last day of soft opening, and didn't get in because it was friends and family only - thus, I haven't written any reviews (and I don't even know who the owner is, and I don't think I've ever met Matt Hill); I'm merely observing the situation I'm reading, and yes, I've had your cooking, and Edan's cooking, and Kathy's wines, and Keith's wines (this was back when Charlie Palmer was promoting a 50-state wine program, and you could order off an electronic tablet), before, many times, as you know; just not at Range - that's why I made the Yankees comparison (picking up superstar free agents in the off-season)).

And I'm sorry, Julien, but all four of you have track records that speak for themselves - I possess no problem publishing personal praise premised on previous performances.

I for one along with Julien can say that I came to this project not as part of some opening all star team built to steal a ring but rather to work with a man who's work ethics we all hold in high regard on a project that we all felt had the chops to do something new and exciting in an ignored neighborhood. I can't wait for all to come and try it out!

• Like 1

Word. I understand that you are Range's Head Butcher. And I completely agree with you: those who work long, hard hours every day to create magnificent meals like yours certainly deserve to be paid on a par with men who play games a few months a year.

• Like 1

Went to dinner here last Saturday with the wife. We had a rather early reservation (6 pm) but the place was already hoping. Food was good to excellent - wish we went with a big group so we could have tried a few more items. Service was a bit slow and disjointed but no major complaints. We studied the menu before going and noticed a few changes and also prices seemed to have increased on most items.

Food:
- Cornbread ($4, up a $1 from on-line menu) - like others have mentioned the bacon jam is addictive. Cornbread was very moist. Huge portion for 2 people - took home the leftovers for the kids who devoured it.
- Striped bass ceviche ($11, up from $9) - pretty small portion for the price but very fresh and delicious.
- Beef cap of ribeye ($17, up from $15) - perfectly cooked to medium-rare, a bit overpriced for the portion size.
- Sunchokes - Ordered but never received. By the time we realized it we were stuffed anyway.
- Kimchi linguini, uni, scallop, nasturtium ($14, same as on-line) - We both really liked this dish. The noodles had very little kimchi flavor and a nice little kick to it. The uni and scallops were delicious. Perfect portion size for sharing.

- Brussel Sprouts ($6, up from $5) - very solid preparation and a large serving.

- Grouper ($26, not on on-line menu) - probably the most disappointing of the dishes, It was a large serving of fish but we both thought it was slightly overcooked and lacking seasoning.
- Salted caramel ice cream, and a few other treats from dessert cart - Highly recommended.

Wine service was very good and we ended up with a nice Pinot Noir in the mid-50's range.

Looking forward to returning soon to try some other items.

Went to Range last night to check it out, and try their pizza after getting intrigued on the the Neapolitan Pizza thread. Had the Sausage, Smoked Mozzarella and Rapini Pizza and although it was very good, it didn't blow me away. I asked our server for salt and olive oil. He brought the olive oil in a little dish - it didn't seem like something they would normally provide. I thought those additions made the pizza really good. I looked for Edan, but he wasn't there.

We had several other dishes that others have already mentioned and all were excellent. The restaurant was buzzing with activity. Our service was very good. There are a lot of people working there, all rushing around. We thought the prices were reasonable for the excellent quality of the food and the remarkable setting. I was particularly impressed with the wine list. This list has lots of variety and many very reasonably-priced wines - more so than any other restaurant I've been to in the DC area!

Went for lunch a week or two ago, pretty good but not racing to go back (except maybe to take home something from the desert counter). Waiter explained that the menu was the same for lunch, except the lunch menu had the addition of a burger (there might have been one other difference, but I cannot recall).

Same menu, same prices at lunch.

BTW, is it just my bad memory or are many of the prices higher in person than they are on the online menu?

http://www.voltrange.com/pdf/menu.pdf

I enjoyed lunch, but I can't actually say there was a lot that would make me rush back. The brussel sprouts were the best I've had, and the salted caramel ice cream was fantastic, But everything else I had was good, but not particularly memorable. The dish sizes/values vary wildly...the pizzas and the burger are a great deal, but the pastas and meats seemed small. The desert chocolates are tasty, but for their size I think $1 each would be a bit more reasonable. I'd pay more, on the other hand, for the ice cream.

All in all, I'd go back if I was in a larger group of people, as that would really work well with the huge menu/small plate concept, but for a small party it's not as much of a slam dunk.