Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in, too, and I'd like to (re)nominate El Chalan as a future spot. Peruvian food on 20th and I that I hear is very good. Forget who nominated it first, but it was going to be the inaugural spot the first time we tried to do this.

"Roger Miller's atmosphere is ... authentic"

-Washington Post

Most equivocal review clipping ever given pride of place on a restaurant's own Web site?

Probably because it's the ONLY review.

One caution on this -- Roger Miller is tiny. Although, if we can push aside the African immigrants who congregate on the patio, we could sit outside. Unfortunately, I think that some of the authenticity left when they got rid of the astroturf on the lawn and put in a real patio.

There's another Ethiopian place called, you guessed it, Addis Ababa on Thayer that Mrs JPW and I have been meaning to try. Nice big rooftop deck.

MDT:

You are NOT alone. DH and I have decided that the next time friends/family want to eat Ethiopian, we will help with the reservations and give them directions, but will not sit through another uncomfortable, not very good meal at Meskerem.

There are simply too many other types of food which we like a whole lot better than to settle for that.

So sue me.

MDT:

You are NOT alone.  DH and I have decided that the next time friends/family want to eat Ethiopian, we will help with the reservations and give them directions, but will not sit through another uncomfortable, not very good meal at Meskerem.

There are simply too many other types of food which we like a whole lot better than to settle for that.

So sue me.

I no longer stand alone, unless of course I forget to shower...

I think with Ethiopian, either you love it or you don't, and lot of that depends on the quality of your first experience. I first ate Ethiopian in Chicago and like it quite a lot. I enjoy (or have in the past) the food and the atmosphere at Zed's in Georgetown. Not a $20 place, but the food is nice :-)

I think with Ethiopian, either you love it or you don't, and lot of that depends on the quality of your first experience. I first ate Ethiopian in Chicago and like it quite a lot. I enjoy (or have in the past) the food and the atmosphere at Zed's in Georgetown. Not a $20 place, but the food is nice :-)

I 1st ate Ethiopian at Red Sea (now defunct) over 20 years ago. I became an addict and a convert at (now defunct too) Blue Nile located in back of the Chasleton (sp) Apartments on 16th Street and in those days it seemed to feed only cab drivers (it was good and they didn't pull any spice punches). Kitfo called my name on a regular basis.

My next allegiance was to Zed's when it was located near Key Bridge on Wisconsin Avenue. I do believe for a time it was for me the ne plus ultra of Ethiopian food in the district (1984-1994ish though my memory is not totally reliable). Each dish was lovingly spiced and had a distinct flavor. They were the first to feature injera made from the traditional grain teff and it made a difference.

The move to a tonier location alas spelled an end to my love affair with Zed's. They had to pay bills at the expense of exotic spice in my life. I will however always have a spot for them in my heart.

I have moved on. I am still trying new places. 9th Street (Little Ethiopia as I believe they would like to be designated) holds much promise and deserves a visit for those willing to ignore the scorn of others.

This is the part where I realize that the only $20 Tuesday I'm going to be able to go to for the forseeable future is going to be 17th: the week before summer classes.  :lol:

Same problem for us until we finish up this series of Tuesday night dance classes on the 7th of June.

I think we can rotate days so all can enjoy but I defer to the inventor of the concept.  Hillvalley what do you say?

Since I will be in class 4 days a week night for the month of June I definately agree we can rotate days.

For the inagural meeting why don't we meet at 7 at Sabang. If someone could post an address that would be great. We'll keep this informal so if you plan on joining us either post here or send me an email. I'll post a final list Monday night.

FunJohnny, we will definately take you up on your wife's offer. What about a Sunday in June?

Don't just show up without alerting Sabang - otherwise the evening could be Safizzle. Is someone keeping tabs on the party size and calling the restaurant in advance?

[P.S. After the event, please start a separate thread for Sabang so people can use it in the future as reference for the restaurant. We can put a link to that thread as the final entry in this thread so there's continuity. Cheers, Rocks.]

Don't just show up without alerting Sabang - otherwise the evening could be Safizzle.  Is someone keeping tabs on the party size and calling the restaurant in advance?

Please pm me if you are planning on attending and let me know the number in your party. I will alert the restaurant of the invasion #.

It appears that Tuesdays are bad for a bunch of people.  Perhaps a poll as to which day of the week people would prefer is in order?  Or perhaps instead of doing it on Tuesdays or always on a particular day,  rotate among different days of the week so that more people can participate.

I am surprised that it did not work out as there seemed to be quite a few people that were planning on attending.

Oh well, so what day next week? Tues, Wed, ...?

It appears that Tuesdays are bad for a bunch of people.  Perhaps a poll as to which day of the week people would prefer is in order?  Or perhaps instead of doing it on Tuesdays or always on a particular day,  rotate among different days of the week so that more people can participate.

Tuesday and Wednesdays are actually always bad for me because these tend to be my Bis days. I think a poll (for each proposed dinner) is a fine idea because of of the need to balance many different schedules.

I definately agree we can rotate days.

Obviously there isn't one day that is not going to work for everybody. This week did not happen due to work and illness. As already stated, we agreed that we would move the dates around. While the pollwill help determine days that work for some people now, remember that not everyone participates and that people's schedules change.

Here's an idea for a rotating weekly schedule that's easy to remember. Why not just say that there would be a get-together the first Monday of each month, then the next week it would be Tuesday, the next it would be Wednesday, etc. There often would be a date on Friday followed by the Monday 3 days later, but that's OK. Sometimes the first Monday is a holiday, so when that happens it could just be shifted to Tuesday.

Just a thought.

Sure but next week is not a possibility due to other commitments -- basically every night but Tuesday.  Shall we try for the following week?

Edited to add: Malaysia Koptium

Ok, so where and when is the gethering next week?