Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tuesday 11/28, 7p, Better Than Leftovers. Fried Chicken at Flavors (Falls Church)

Tuesday is rapidly approaching. We'll be congregating at Flavors tomorrow evening at 7:00pm. Along with some of the finest fried chicken you have ever eaten, there happens to be a full bar. If anyone needs a ride or directions, please let me know before 4:00pm Tuesday. Following are the people who plan on attending. If you'd like to join us, come on down.

Grover

Escoffier

rkduggins

catharine

cucas87

Scott Johnson +1

hm212

I am not going to be able to make it tonight. I just got stuck in the office.

I'd like to attend.... am I too late. Also, this would be my first $20 Tuesday and I just joined DR.com. How do I know who to look for?

Welcome to DR.com!

Unless it is a really small place or someone has expressed the need to reserve tables it is never too late to attend a $20-Tuesday event. The idea is for informal and relaxed gatherings where folks arrive and leave at whatever time is best for them.

What to look for? I am sure that this group will not be hard to spot. :P

Enjoy!

I'd like to attend.... am I too late. Also, this would be my first $20 Tuesday and I just joined DR.com. How do I know who to look for?
No, it's never too late. These are pretty informal affairs and you'll definitely be able to tell the DR people. We'll be the ones gazing hungrily at every plate that goes by... :P But just so you have something to go on, I'm wearing a blue shirt, jeans and glasses (the vision kind, not the other ones)...and to quote mdt, welcome!

The duck was good if not exactly authentic (cucumber on Peking duck? I don't think so...and no peanuts before either).

I'm sure this will get bumped over to the Spices thread, but... the duck itself was quite good. The meat was nice and flavorful, the skin was ok too. Not too gamy. I would be happier to have the duck without all the pancakes, etc.

I'm sure this will get bumped over to the Spices thread, but... the duck itself was quite good. The meat was nice and flavorful, the skin was ok too. Not too gamy. I would be happier to have the duck without all the pancakes, etc.

the yanyu/spices duck used to just come with the standard pancakes, hoisin sauce and scallions. everytime i head out to a restaurant in the vicinity of spices lately i seem to wind up at palena (unless it's unexpectedly closed), so maybe i will try to order this delivered. and at home, you can do whatever you want with the pancakes.

I was at Bob's Shabu Shabu 88 and spoke to Bob. He is willing to do a Shabu & Taiwainese dinner for $20 + tax & tip. Everyone would get Shabu and we would ahve some appetizers, 3 or so cooked dishes (seafood, meat, something off the beaten path). He said he would take really good care of us. I would like to do it on a Monday night. Can we get a group together (at least 8 are needed) for December 18? Or January 22?

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me for updates. Read dates carefully - none of this month's meals are actually on Tuesday!

Wednesday 12/6, 7p, The Hitching Post (Petworth)

legant

Heather

cucas87

Monique DC

Monday 12/18, 7p, Bob's 88 Shabu Shabu (Rockville)

no karaoke

deangold +1

legant

DanielK

porcupine

xcanuck +1

hillvalley

DC in DC

eating out +1

MBK

Scott Johnston

NCPinDC +1

cucas87

purplesachi +1

StephenB

Wednesday 12/20, 7p, Eamonn's (Alexandria) website

mdt

Antonio Burrell

synaesthesia

Scott Johnston

legant

cucas87

I was at Bob's Shabu Shabu 88 and spoke to Bob. He is willing to do a Shabu & Taiwainese dinner for $20 + tax & tip. Everyone would get Shabu and we would ahve some appetizers, 3 or so cooked dishes (seafood, meat, something off the beaten path). He said he would take really good care of us. I would like to do it on a Monday night. Can we get a group together (at least 8 are needed) for December 18? Or January 22?

I'm in.

Lisa and I are in for Dec 18th.

I'd be in for this too. 12/18 works for me.

Welcome to my world

Contrary to popular belief, HP is non- Metro friendly. From the Rhode Island Metro take the H8 bus and get off at Rock Creek Church Road and Upshur; walk 1/2 blockstops. From the Petworth station, take either the H8 bus and get off at Rock Creek Church Road and Upshur OR take the 60 bus and get off at Upshur and 2nd.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me for updates. Read dates carefully - none of this month's meals are actually on Tuesday!

Wednesday 12/6, 7p, The Hitching Post (Petworth)

legant

Heather

cucas87

Monique DC

i am a newbie and am considering going to bob's shabu shabu on the 18th (but don't count me as a definite yet!). i see that it is in rockville. can i get there from the metro?

Bob's is probably a 10-15 minute walk from the Rockville Metro station - a little over a half mile. There are a number of Ride-On buses (45, 46, 55) that leave from the station and pass directly in front of Bob's. Also, I'm sure there will be several DR Metro commuters that will be happy to give folks a ride.

well, if the dinner is at 7pm, then i'll probably just stay at work and take the red line to rockville. if it's only a 1/2 mile from the metro, my +1 and i can probably walk. but if it's more than that, i might have to coordinate a carpool (or just take the bus) because i sprained my ankle about 2 months ago and it hasn't healed yet. but i appreciate the carpool help. :P

Also, I'm sure there will be several DR Metro commuters that will be happy to give folks a ride.

Just make sure you are prepared to get a little snark for not being willing to walk it :P for the record, google maps says it's .7 miles, so I'd say 15 minutes is probably about right, depending on your pace.

I'm still on the fence (deciding if I'd rather splurge on the Tallula beer dinner that night) but will probably ending up at Bob's.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

no karaoke

deangold +1

legant

DanielK

porcupine

xcanuck +1

hillvalley

DC in DC

eating out +1

MBK

Scott Johnston

NCPinDC +1

cucas87

purplesachi +1

StephenB

SShorter (+1?)

Purplesachi +1

Just a few comments- Lots of space left. The meal is a set menu with some authentic Taiwanese dishes. Bob asked if we were adventurous eathers and I said yes. There will be some "smelly tofu" and some duck toungues or feet in the menu. The rest will be a surprise. The Shabu Shabu typically has lots of different types of fish and meat balls whose contents, like someone once said about legislation, are best left unknown.

Last add, cost is $2o.00 plus tax & tip or $24 total.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

no karaoke

deangold +1

legant

DanielK

porcupine

xcanuck +1

DC in DC

eating out +2

MBK

Scott Johnston

NCPinDC +1

cucas87

purplesachi +1

StephenB

synaesthesia

LuvTeddyBears8 +1

Wednesday 12/20, 7p, Eamonn's (Alexandria) website

mdt

Antonio Burrell

synaesthesia

legant

That's less than a 15% tip. With a group that size, and the deal you are getting, the restaurant staff deserve much more.
ummmm let's see here...$20 x 20% = $24.00....$20 x 15%= $23.00...not to say that the staff may deserve more, but 20% is pretty much standard for good service and food.

ummmm let's see here...$20 x 20% = $24.00....$20 x 15%= $23.00...
Don't forget to factor out the tax (5% in MoCo, or $1 per $20). As the original statement was "$20 plus tax & tip" aka $20 + $1 + $3, the proposed tip is indeed $3 or 15%.

Maybe this needs another thread, but since when did 20% become "standard"? It was 15% for decades, then there was a trend where tip-included bills began ballooning to 18%.

Maybe this needs another thread, but since when did 20% become "standard"? It was 15% for decades, then there was a trend where tip-included bills began ballooning to 18%.
There is another thread for this. :P I'm not getting into whether 15% is or is not still the standard. (Although I would tip based on the after-tax amount of $21.00.) I'm just suggesting that in this case, the staff probably deserves more. We're talking a table of over 20 people with extra effort made on its behalf, and goodies thrown in. It was just my opinion - everybody who attends will use their own conscience to determine what to do.

[eta: Dean can correct me, but I believe Dino's charges 18% for private parties over 12 people. At least that's what the website says.]