Twenty-Dollar Tuesdays

Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So far, I'm counting 9 Yes and 2 Maybe for Monday the 19th, and 12 Yes for Tuesday the 20th.

Grover, have you talked to Danny at Mandu? How big can we get before it becomes a challenge for them?

I went there on Monday but I didn't talk about $20 Tuesday dinner yet. They can hold 15-20 people first floor and 40 (?) people second floor, so I think the space is enough for us if I reserve the tables early.

I went there on Monday but I didn't talk about $20 Tuesday dinner yet. They can hold 15-20 people first floor and 40 (?) people second floor, so I think the space is enough for us if I reserve the tables early.

I wonder if the kitchen can handle that many folks all at once. It might be better to do 2 waves of 10 folks.

I just called them up. Danny wasn't there but got a positive answer. Mrs. Lee can handle 20 people at once.

I am going to call Danny tomorrow and talk about further details if I can work with them (having tasting menu for us).

3 hours later....

I got a phone call from Jason the manager at Mandu. He would like to provide family style menu for us and the price would be $20 without beverage/alcohol drinks. How nice is that!

I gave him the number of participants (tentatively 15-20) and they have no problem with it.

19th - StephenB (1)

20th - Ferment Everything, Dean Gold +1 and Eating Out +1 (???) (3 and 2 maybe)

Both - Dame Edna, Barbara, DanielK, Politburo, Purplesachi, alan7147, vinist, Scott Johnston, Escoffier and Grover (10)

OK, so far the participants are:

19th - StephenB (1)

20th - Ferment Everything, Dean Gold +1, DanielK, cucas87, Eating Out +1 (?) (5 and 2 maybe)

Both - Dame Edna, Barbara, Politburo, Purplesachi, alan7147, vinist, Scott Johnston, Escoffier and Grover (9)

By the way, just to let you know, the food at Mandu is not as spicy as the food in Annandale Korean restaurants.

For more information, please refer the Mandu thread.

Rachel, I am glad to hear that!

I just called Danny the general manager at Mandu, found out that the price is $20 without beverage, tax and tip.

They provide a party menu for a party more than 15 people.

Appetizer:

• Three kinds of mandu (shrimp, beef/pork and vegetable) - steamed/pan-fried
    Individual size pa-jun - scallion pancake

Entree:

• Japchae - stir fried clear noodles w/ vegetables and beef
    Bulgogi - grilled marinated strip loin served with rice and mixed vegetables
    Dak gui - grilled marinated sliced chicken breast
    Yache gui - grilled marinated mixed vegetables

Dessert:

• Fresh Fruit Bowl

Frankly speaking, I don't like the menu. I will find out later if I can change some of them.

the price is $20 without beverage, tax and tip.....

Frankly speaking, I don't like the menu.

It seems like it's going to be $25-26, before drinks. Will they automatically add a tip to the bill?

And which items on the menu don't you like? Sietsema described the mandu as "wan" but he really liked the pa-jun.

I don't know. I will ask them later about it.

What I didn't like is the entree part. Three of them are the same type of cooking, which is grilled and marinated.

Maybe marinating ingredients would be different from each other but it would be the same grilling. As you can see from their menu, they have dak-jeem (chicken simmered in spicy flavored sauce). This is a different style of cooking and marinating with exactly the same price. Another thing in the appetizers, they have goo-jul-mari (crepes rolled with a mix of vegetables, egg, meat, and a thin mustard sauce) at $6.95.

Currently Woo Lae Oak in Tysons corner is serving this for $9. It is not served anywhere else. This is a restaurant version of Korean court food. This is served in an octagonal box in authentic way. Click here for the image. For their convenience, I assume, they make this as a form of roll and serve. I think it would be a great chance for us to learn a different part of Korean cuisine.

Mandu sounds interesting, but I haven't been in the mood for Korean food these days. Any one interested in Ethiopian? I'd like to try Etete again.

Does March 6th work for anyone else?

I haven't been in the mood for eating with my fingers for a long time, I think I want Moroccan. Anyone for Casablanca say March 20?

1. I'm in for the Bombay Curry Company dinner on 2/27. I've been meaning to get there forever.

2. As for the Los Tios fun on 3/15, as of now I'm supposed to be in Mississippi for a hearing (that has been rescheduled 3 times so far) so while I might be able to make it, I cannot say "yes" right now. If you can add people to a "maybe" or "waiting" list, I'm there.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me for updates.

Holy crap are you guys keeping me busy - lots of choices in the next couple of months. And too many "regulars" on the list - lets see some of you lurkers and newbies step up to the plate.

Peking Cheers, Gaithersburg, Monday Jan 29, 7pm

Home of the former Joe's Noodle House Sichuan chef. Bring on the endorphins!

DanielK

deangold +1

Mandu, Dupont Circle, Tuesday Feb 20

Another grover-hosted Korean tour-de-force!

ferment everything

deangold +1

DanielK

cucas87

eating out

Dame Edna

Barbara

politburo

purplesachi

alan7147

vinist

Scott Johnston

Escoffier

grover

rkduggins

Bombay Curry Company, Del Ray, Tuesday Feb 27

Del Ray stop #1 on the $20 Tuesday circuit - Indian

Jacques Gastreaux

cucas87

Capital Icebox

mdt

mktye +1

RaisaB +1

ustreetguy

CrescentFresh +1

Etete, U St, Tuesday March 6

Homestyle ethiopian in the heart of "Little Ethiopia"

Heather

Jacques Gastreaux

crackers

DanielK

RaisaB +1

ustreetguy

Los Tios, Del Ray, Thursday March 15

Stop #2 on the Del Ray circuit - Salvadorean/Tex-Mex

<PM crackers to get on the list for this one>

For the Del Ray restaurants, are these metro accessible? If so I'm in for Los Tios!

Lots of buses, and we usually get volunteers to run people to/from the events, but the two closest train stations (Natl Airport and Braddock Rd) are more than a mile away and not really walkable.

My calendar is all up in the air, but I'm tentatively in for BCC with plus 1 on the side. I also don't want to throw too much on the $20 Tuesday calendar, but perhaps once we get past a few of these, I'd like to give a go for Salvadoran that's not Los Tios. Something more straightforward C.A. and not trying to blend in the Tex. Lots of options in that neck of the woods. Most of which I'm completely unfamiliar with, but willing to experiment.

And brettashley01, you'll want to take the bus. That's how I do it if I know there's going to be booze potential. 3 different bus routes link with Ballston, Crystal City and Pentagon stations. The last two get you to Mt. Vernon Ave in a jiffy.

Thanks everybody for your great response in PM and on the board for the Los Tios dinner. I must say, it was a pleasant surprise!

At this point I'm going to start a waiting list of sorts as I don't want to overwhem the restaurant (or ourselves) and need to check on table considerations. Please send me a PM if you'd like to get on the list (people's plans change, so don't hesitate) or if your plans change and you can't make it. Also, if you need a ride, please PM me about that too.

Here's the latest:

crackers

Jacques Gastreaux

Capital Icebox

mdt

mktye +1

JPW +1

mystery guests

Tentative: cucas87, Heather, RaisaB +1, ustreetguy, brettashley01

Wow, I try to sneak away for a morning to do some hunting before the season closes and things go nuts. So far, there are 11 people confirmed and tentative for the Bombay Curry Company on the 27th of February, which far exceeds my expectation. The restaurant is rather small and a party of 11 will likely be a handful for them. So, in the interests of keeping relations with the restaurant staff on an even keel, I'd like to start something in the nature of a waiting list for anone else who would like to join the group. PM me if you are interested in being on the list for any seats that might open up (which is likely).

So far for Etete we have

Heather

crackers

Jacques Gastreaux

DanielK

RaisaB +1

ustreetguy

bilrus

I'll call Etete on Monday to determine what size group they can handle. They aren't a big place and I'd like for everyone who wants to come to be able to. :lol:

I'm up for Peking Cheers on 1/29. Flying solo that night.

I have hockey games on the night of all the other events. Is someone checking my calendar and planning things accordingly?? :lol: I'd love to go to Etete with everyone - we tried to get in there on Saturday night before the 9:30 Club show and failed. Dukem was packed, too. Ended up at some other non-descript Ethiopian place and ate non-descript Ethiopian food. Ick. Burped injeera and lamb tibs throughout the first two openers. Double ick.