Tweaked

Scott Johnston

cucas87

MBK +1

catherine

rkduggins

RaisaB +1

La Shanta

Please remember to bring cash to pay for dinner. Small bills greatly appreciated.

Don't forget to drop by Grape Legs for a speed tasting and a bottle to take home while you're down there.
Thank you for the reminder. :o

It has been suggested that since we are such a large group that we arrange a menu with the restaurant. How would everyone feel about that?

Thank you for the reminder. :o

It has been suggested that since we are such a large group that we arrange a menu with the restaurant. How would everyone feel about that?

Or you could to 2 or 3 smaller tables and just order from the menu.

Etete, U St, Tuesday March 6, 6:30 PM

Homestyle Ethiopian in the heart of "Little Ethiopia"

Heather

crackers

DanielK

ustreetguy

bilrus

Tweaked

MBK

catherine

rkduggins

RaisaB +1

Please remember to bring cash to pay for dinner. Small bills greatly appreciated. I made the executive decision that we will just be ordering from the menu instead if getting something preset.

Edited to reflect new numbers.

Heather

crackers

DanielK

ustreetguy

bilrus

Tweaked

MBK +1

catherine

rkduggins

RaisaB +1

La Shanta

Please remember to bring cash to pay for dinner. Small bills greatly appreciated. I made the executive decision that we will just be ordering from the menu instead if getting something preset.

I just found out that I have to head to NY for work tomorrow. I am unlikely to be back in time for dinner. :o I am sooo sorry guys.

Anybody want my spot?

To date we have 8 positives and 4 maybes. Lots of room, I hope others will join us!

Tired of the cold and snow???? Want to take a comfort food break????

DanielK and I are arranging a $20 dollar dinner in the private room at China Bistro in Rockville on Wednesday, March 21st at 7:30 PM. China Bistro specializes in homemade dumplings and some great chinese side dishes This dinner should run no more than $14-$17 dollars including tip, tax, and food. Drinks, including bubble tea are extra (water and hot tea will be included). I am happy to provide round trip transportation to the Rockville Metro. We can accommodate up to 16 people. This is a great event for newbes and lurkers!

Vegetable Dumplings and Vegetable Triple Dumplings with chive, egg, and bean curd. Lots of seafood, beef, and pork options too.

China Bistro

700 Hungerford Drive

Rockville, MD 20850

301-294-0808

Here is the China Bistro thread: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showt...hl=china+bistro

PM DanielK or I, or leave a message on the board.

Heather

crackers

DanielK

ustreetguy

bilrus

Tweaked

MBK

catherine

rkduggins

RaisaB +1

LydiaR

We have space for a couple more people, so PM if you'd like to join us.

See you tonight!

After our dinner with an Indian friend the other night, I'm thinking about dinner at an Indian restaurant in Vienna. Nothing specific as of yet, just want to gauge interest beforehand. This would probably be in April so it's a bit down the road, but if you are interested, PM me.

Still plenty of room!

Join DanielK, Cucas07, Xcanuck, and others for a Dumpling Fest!

DanielK and I are arranging a $20 dollar dinner in the private room at China Bistro in Rockville on Wednesday, March 21st at 7:30 PM. China Bistro specializes in homemade dumplings and some great chinese side dishes This dinner should run no more than $14-$17 dollars including tip, tax, and food. Drinks, including bubble tea are extra (water and hot tea will be included). I am happy to provide round trip transportation to the Rockville Metro. We can accommodate up to 16 people. This is a great event for newbes and lurkers!

Vegetable Dumplings and Vegetable Triple Dumplings with chive, egg, and bean curd. Lots of seafood, beef, and pork options too.

China Bistro

700 Hungerford Drive

Rockville, MD 20850

301-294-0808

Here is the China Bistro thread: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showt...hl=china+bistro

PM DanielK or I, or leave a message on the board.

Our next $20 Tuesday will be this Thursday, March 15, 7:00 pm at Los Tios Grill, 2613 Mt. Vernon Ave. in the Del Ray section of Alexandria. We will be ordering off the menu, so bring cash and a good appetite!

Here's the current roster:

crackers

mdt

Capital Icebox +1

cucas87 +1

mktye +1

Catherine

porcupine +1

ol ironstomach

PM me if your plans change. If you'd like to join us, just post or send me a PM - we do have room at the table.

I think there was some interest up thread so I am going to put out a $20 Tuesday event at China Star in Fairfax on Wednesday April 4th say 7pm.

I mentioned it at book club last night so we have a short list right now. Who else is interested?

mdt

crackers

jacques gastreaux

catherine +1

mktye +1

capital icebox +1

Scott Johnston

I like to propose an outing to Sabang, an Indonesian restaurant in Wheaton, which is mentioned in the very first post on this thread but was never scheduled. Tuesday April 24th at 7pm. The rijstaffel is out of the $20 Tuesday price range, but if we get enough people together we could create our own from the menu. :o Please post here or PM if you're interested.

And to add to the joy...on April 12 (Thursday), some of us are headed to Thai Square, the very best Thai food you will find in the area. I was there on Saturday to check things out - veeery tasty!

Update: There are just a few seats still available for this one, so PM me if you're interested, need a ride, have questions, etc. The 16Y bus from DC will get you very close.

I encourage those who have never come to an event/gathering to sign up for one or all of these casual mid-week dinners! I am holding open a couple of seats at Thai Square just for you! There will be a waiting list of sorts, as these lists tend to change quite a bit from start to finish.

To recap:

China Star on April 4. (mdt)

Thai Square on April 12. (crackers)

Sabang on April 24. (Heather)

Thai Square:

crackers

mdt

mbk

catherine +1

mktye + rktye

jacques gastreaux

natharobed

capital icebox +1

cucas87

I am changing the time for Sabang to Tuesday April 24th at 7:30pm, so tht we can get a babysitter. Yes, you'll see both Shorters at a DR.com $20 Tuesday for the first time ever. Woo.

So far it's:

Heather

sshorter

MBK

DanielK (+1?)

crackers

xcanuck +1

I am changing the time for Sabang to Tuesday April 24th at 7:30pm, so tht we can get a babysitter. Yes, you'll see both Shorters at a DR.com $20 Tuesday for the first time ever. Woo.

So far it's:

Heather

sshorter

MBK

DanielK (+1?)

I'm looking forward to this! Plus, according to Yahoo Maps, it's only 7 minutes' drive from Ray's the Bar. Just sayin'.

Please put my name with this esteemed group

I think there was some interest up thread so I am going to put out a $20 Tuesday event at China Star in Fairfax on Wednesday April 4th say 7pm.

I mentioned it at book club last night so we have a short list right now. Who else is interested?

mdt

crackers

jacques gastreaux

A last minute reminder that we will be enjoying some fine Mexican and Salvadorian food at Los Tios Grill, 2613 Mt. Vernon Ave. in the Del Ray section of Alexandria tonight at 7:00pm. We have had some cancellations, so if you'd like to join us, please PM or email me before 3:00 pm. so I can notify the restaurant to adjust the reservation. Here's the current roster:

crackers

mdt +1

cucas87

mktye +1

Catherine

porcupine +1

ol ironstomach

A last minute reminder that we will be enjoying some fine Mexican and Salvadorian food at Los Tios Grill, 2613 Mt. Vernon Ave. in the Del Ray section of Alexandria tonight at 7:00pm. We have had some cancellations, so if you'd like to join us, please PM or email me before 3:00 pm. so I can notify the restaurant to adjust the reservation. Here's the current roster:

crackers

mdt

Capital Icebox +1

cucas87

mktye +1

Catherine

porcupine +1

ol ironstomach

I am adding a +1, but will be 20 minutes late.

Sabang, April 24th, 7:30pm

Heather

sshorter

MBK

DanielK (+1?)

crackers

xcanuck +1

ustreetguy

We are going out of town tomorrow until 3/27, and will not be checking email very often, if at all, so PMs to be added to the list while I'm away will not be answered in a timely manner. :o This is a pretty sizable place, so I assume a dozen or so of us will not be a problem. I'll be calling to make a reservation once we get back.

At this point we are fine on room (that means please come). I have a partial list here of people (16 in total).

DanielK

Scott Johnston

Cucas07

Xcanuck +1

Smokey

Escoffier

Grover

Stephenb

Purplesachi

politburo

Old Ironstomach

RKDuggins

and a couple of others

Let me know if you can not come, we still can fit a few more.

Scott

Wednesday, you say! I can make China Bistro on the 21st, if there are spaces still open.

It's a great day for Dumplings!

Still some room for tonight at China Bistro in Rockville at 7:30 PM.

PM me if you are intrested, we can provide rides to/from Rockville Metro as well.

DanielK

Scott Johnston

Cucas07

Xcanuck +1

Stephenb

Purplesachi

politburo

Old Ironstomach

RKDuggins

HM212

NCPinDC

Jparrott

and a couple of others

It's a great day for Dumplings!

Still some room for tonight at China Bistro in Rockville at 7:30 PM.

PM me if you are intrested, we can provide rides to/from Rockville Metro as well.

DanielK

Scott Johnston

Cucas07

Xcanuck +1

Stephenb

Purplesachi

politburo

Old Ironstomach

RKDuggins

HM212

NCPinDC

Jparrott

and a couple of others

I'm still so disappointed to be missing this - will you guys be sure to post thorough reviews pretty please? I'll have to try and replicate it on my own sometime... enjoy, it definitely is a perfect day for dumplings :o

Anyplace nearby to grab a few pints beforehand?
Depends on your definition of "decent".

Best places to find a beer around there are further south down Rockville Pike -- Timpano's or the PGA Tour Grill. Better yet stop by the venerable Hank Dietel's Tavern next to Addie's. But there is absolutely not one good bar that I can think of in Rockville.

Depends on your definition of "decent".

Best places to find a beer around there are further south down Rockville Pike -- Timpano's or the PGA Tour Grill. Better yet stop by the venerable Hank Dietel's Tavern next to Addie's. But there is absolutely not one good bar that I can think of in Rockville.

Tower Oaks Lodge (part of the Clyde's empire) on Wooton Parkway is actually a pretty nice place to grab a drink - especially the back room bar, which is always far less crowded than the front bar.