• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does 7 pm sound??

I am flexible as well

7 works for me.

I might bring the "food disposal units". I warned them that they would have to eat what was ordered, rather than something they picked out, and both are making noises about being up for it. We shall see...

I'm still up in the air but the winds are blowing in that direction. If I can't make it, I'll call synaesthesia. Otherwise: If I'm not there by 7, I should arrive shortly; I have an errand to run and don't know how long it will take.

I'm a maybe; can't commit 'til Thursday morning.
So for Bob's Shabu Shabu on Thursday, May 31 we so far have

Deangold +1

DanielK

ScottJohnston (I'm guessing)

synaesthesia

You know what’s missing from this thread? A compendium of $20 Tuesday restaurants. I’ve scanned through pages 17-37; however, I initially focused on $20 Tuesdays that I attended... I’ve overlooked several places.

Here’s my list, arranged by state. I’ve listed the restaurant, cuisine, address and phone number.

DC

Dino, Rustic Italian, 3435 Connecticut Avenue NW, Cleveland Park, 202-686-2966

Hitching Post, American classics and soul food, 200 Upshur St. NW, 202-726-1511

Spices, Asian Fusion, 3333A Connecticut Avenue, NW, Cleveland Park, 202-686-3833

Oohs and Aahs, soul food, 1005 U St. NW, U Street Corridor, 202-667-7142

Etete, Ethiopian, 1942 9th Street NW, U Street Corridor, 202-232-7600

Birreria Paradiso,??, 3282 M Street NW, Georgetown, 202-337-1245

[i'll post MD and VA later this week.]

Help me fill in the blanks. PM me with any additions or corrections; it will be much easier to have edits collected in one place. I’ll then update the list, post it, and update it every four-six weeks.

New $20 Dollar Tuesday Post: JOE"S NOODLE HOUSE on TUESDAY AUGUST 21st

In case it is not "hot" enough for you...or the summer has you "numb" with the heat, it's time for a DR get together! I am organizing a summer return to Joe's Noodle House on Tuesday August 21st at 7 PM. Joe's has a amazing array of both spicy and non spicy dishes. The best way to experience the food is with a large group so that everyone can share!

Joe's Website: http://www.joesnoodlehouse.com/

Joe's thread: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=747&hl=joe's+noodle

Washingtonian Review: http://www.washingtonian.com/restaurantreviews/492.html

Washington Post Review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=cityguide/profile&id=883676

Joe's is about 4 blocks from the Twinbrook metro. The station is on Chapman between Bouic and Halpine. Exit on the West side of the station, and turn North on Chapman. Make a left on Halpine, go 1 block to a right on Rockville Pike, and walk 2.5 blocks to Joe's on the right. Joe's is in the same shopping center as On the Border, in the back around the corner (facing North).

I can pick up and return a group to the metro station.

Please PM or leave a post if you would like to come. I will make a reservation and as always please bring cash!

Scott, I'm on, and thank you for organizing it. Here are some of my favorite JNH dishes, including the dreaded H20:

APPETIZERS * means spicy

A28 SALTY & CRISPY SQUID

A47 * SZECHUAN STYLE RABBIT

A50 * PORK KIDNEY WITH MINCED GARLIC

A56 * CHOPPED LEEK STEM WITH PORK GARLIC & BLACK BEAN

A01 * SHREDDED RADISH WITH HOT SAUCE

A14 SEASONED SEAWEED

A16 * SHREDDED PORK TRIPE WITH HOT SAUCE

A41 FRIED BABY SMELTS & PEANUTS

MAIN COURSES

F22 * YU-SHIANG PORK HOME STYLE

T20 * TRIPLE PEPPER CHICKEN DRY SAUTÉE

F29 * SHREDDED CHICKEN WITH PICKLED CABBAGE

H20 * FISH FILET OVER VEGETABLE SZECHUAN STYLE

H05 STEAMED FISH WITH SHREDDED SCALLION & GINGER

F02 BEEF WITH OYSTER SAUCE

F09 * SHREDDED PORK WITH HOT PEPPER

F26 TENDER SHRIMP SAUTÉED WITH EDAMAME BEANS

E19 SMOKED DUCK

N11 * PASTA WITH HOT MEAT SAUCE

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me for updates.

After a quiet summer, event-wise, Labor Day approaches, and it's time to start up the $20 Tuesday thread again! We have one on the docket so far, but looking in the archives, in the Spring we cancelled 3 events that need owners to restart: Tiffin, Addis Ababa, and Da Rae Won. Any volunteers? All you need to do is propose a date, and (if necessary) make a reservation. The topic (and my mailbox) take care of the rest!

Joe's Noodle House, Rockville, Tuesday August 21st, 7pm

Home of "extra spicy" AND "numbing". Bring on the endorphins!

Scott Johnston

StephenB

rkduggins

DanielK

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

Scott Johnston (coordinator)

StephenB

rkduggins

DanielK

Pat

Tiffin, Thursday September 6, 7pm

Heather (coordinator)

sshorter

Porcupine

Mr. P

Scotty J

cucas87

crackers

Vit Goel Lighthouse Tofu, Annandale, Tuesday September 18th, 7pm

catharine (coordinator)

Scott Johnston

cucas87

grover

I'm not sure if I can go. It's planning too far ahead, but might I suggest a Lighthouse Tofu smackdown the same night with a visit to the one in Rockville? Annandale is SO far.

I'm with you Jamie - it's way too far ahead for me to think about it yet, but I'd go to Rockville that night.

For those attending Joe's Noodle House on Tuesday the 21st (there is 7 of us as of today). I will pick up Metro Riders from the TWINBROOK metro station at 6:45 PM. I will be in a silver Hyundai Sonata outside in the pickup area. Joe's is only .8 mile away, an easy walk on what is supposed to be a nice day. Let me know if you want my cell phone (via PM) for additional coordination. The reservation at 7 PM is under the name of Scott.

See ya there!

EDITED to add TWINBROOK not White Flint

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! All I see is "regulars" on the list below - where are the n00bs? Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

StephenB

rkduggins

DanielK

Pat

grover +1

Heather (coordinator)

sshorter

Porcupine

Mr. P

Scott Johnston

cucas87

crackers

catharine (coordinator)

Scott Johnston

cucas87

grover

goldenticket

Ilaine +1

For those attending Joe's Noodle House on Tuesday the 21st (there is 7 of us as of today). I will pick up Metro Riders from the WHITE FLINT metro station at 6:45 PM. I will be in a silver Hyundai Sonata outside in the pickup area. Joe's is only .8 mile away, an easy walk on what is supposed to be a nice day. Let me know if you want my cell phone (via PM) for additional coordination. The reservation at 7 PM is under the name of Scott.

See ya there!

You sure you don't mean TWINBROOK Metro? Twinbrook is 0.5 miles from Joe's; White Flint is closer to 1.5 miles.

REMINDER: THIS WEEK'S $20 TUESDAY:

Not to late to join! All I see is "regulars" on the list below - where are the n00bs? Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

StephenB

rkduggins

DanielK

Pat

grover +1

From Scott: "I will pick up Metro Riders from the TWINBROOK metro station at 6:45 PM. I will be in a silver Hyundai Sonata outside in the pickup area. Joe's is only .8 mile away, an easy walk on what is supposed to be a nice day. Let me know if you want my cell phone (via PM) for additional coordination. The reservation at 7 PM is under the name of Scott."

bump

New $20 Dollar Tuesday Post: JOE"S NOODLE HOUSE on TUESDAY AUGUST 21st

In case it is not "hot" enough for you...or the summer has you "numb" with the heat, it's time for a DR get together! I am organizing a summer return to Joe's Noodle House on Tuesday August 21st at 7 PM. Joe's has a amazing array of both spicy and non spicy dishes. The best way to experience the food is with a large group so that everyone can share!

Joe's Website: http://www.joesnoodlehouse.com/

Joe's thread: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=747&hl=joe's+noodle

Washingtonian Review: http://www.washingtonian.com/restaurantreviews/492.html

Washington Post Review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=cityguide/profile&id=883676

Joe's is about 4 blocks from the Twinbrook metro. The station is on Chapman between Bouic and Halpine. Exit on the West side of the station, and turn North on Chapman. Make a left on Halpine, go 1 block to a right on Rockville Pike, and walk 2.5 blocks to Joe's on the right. Joe's is in the same shopping center as On the Border, in the back around the corner (facing North).

I can pick up and return a group to the metro station.

Please PM or leave a post if you would like to come. I will make a reservation and as always please bring cash!

Eight of us journeyed to the burbs for a delightful dinner ($17 dollars each) at Joe's Noodle House. Thanks to all who attended!

APPETIZERS

A07 Thin Bean Curd Roll Filled w/ Shitake Mushrooms (amazingly thin tofu, very light and refreshing)

A08 Cucumber Salad (really more like sweet pickles

A09 Spicy Sweet and Sour Cabbage (nice pickled cabbage)

A20 Jelly Fish Salad (very good, first time I have had this)

A28 Salt & Crispy Squid (very fresh and mild)

A41 Fried Baby Smelt & Peanuts (highly addictive)

W01 Wonton w/ Red Hot Sauce (2 orders crowd favorite)

A52 Szechuan Beef Jerky (not as hot as I have had before, but nevertheless nice)

MAIN COURSES

F22 Yu-Shiang Pork- Home Style

T20 Triple Pepper Chicken Dry Sautee (somewhat tame tonight)

F32 Spicy and Tasty Fried Tofu (hottest dish of the night)

H20 Fish Fillet & Soft Bean Curd in Szechuan Sauce (not as hot, according to others, very nice taste)

F26 Tender Shrimp Sautéed w/ Edamame Beans (somewhat overshadowed by the spicy dishes we ordered, I really like the subtle flavors of this dish)

H14 Tibetan Style Lamb w / Cumin (very good, a bit more moist then when i have ordered this in the past)

T21 Home Made Bacon with Leek (what is there not to like, this plate was almost liked clean)

??? Sautee Greens with Garlic

Eight of us journeyed to the burbs for a delightful dinner ($17 dollars each) at Joe's Noodle House. Thanks to all who attended!
I knew I could count on you to have the menu :angry:. It was a good meal at an incredible price.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! All I see is "regulars" on the list below - where are the n00bs? Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

(NEED A NEW COORDINATOR FOR THIS DINNER)

Porcupine

Mr. P

Scott Johnston

cucas87

catharine (coordinator)

Scott Johnston

cucas87

grover +1

goldenticket

Ilaine +1

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

(Is this still on? WE NEED A COORDINATOR FOR THIS DINNER)

Porcupine

Mr. P

cucas87

catharine (coordinator)

Scott Johnston

cucas87

grover +1

goldenticket

Ilaine +1

politburo

purplesachi