Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

Faryab, Bethesda, Thursday November 8th, 7pm

dr.com page

porcupine (coordinator)

Lydia R

Passage To India, Bethesda, Tuesday November 20th, 7pm

website, dr.com page

porcupine +1 (coordinator)

rkduggins

cucas87

legant

synaesthesia

Oegadgib, Annandale, Tuesday December 11th, 7pm

dr.com page

goldenticket +1 (coordinator)

twinsdaddy

grover +1

Need to be rescheduled: Cava (Rockville), Pacifica Cafe (Gaithersburg)

Oegadgib: Grover and I ate there the other night. This isn't your run of the mill bulgogi and kimchi place. If you're adventurous you'll enjoy the food (and there is a LOT of it). I'd also suggest that you try the unfiltered rice wine...tasty and sneaky all in one. See everyone on December 11.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

website, dr.com page

rkduggins

cucas87

legant

catharine

dr.com page

twinsdaddy

grover +1

Need to be rescheduled: Cava (Rockville), Pacifica Cafe (Gaithersburg).

Can we get takers for Tues 12/4 for Cava?

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

website, dr.com page

rkduggins

cucas87

legant

synaesthesia

dr.com page

twinsdaddy

grover +1

Need to be rescheduled: Cava (Rockville), Pacifica Cafe (Gaithersburg).

Can we get takers for Tues 12/4 for Cava?

I'm out of PTI.

:blink:

On a burst of spontaneity, I decided to join “porcupine” (+1) and “rkduggins” (+1) at Passage to India for DonRockwell.com’s “Twenty-Dollar Tuesday” last night (Tuesday, November 20, 2007). It was especially fun for me to meet and receive feedback from porcupine, rkduggins and their guests on the local dining scene.

It is worth noting that I do not eat Indian food on a regular basis. With that being said, I have dined with Indian colleagues at establishments in Orange County, California, Redmond and Seattle, Washington. These aforementioned areas have a fairly sizable Indian population working in the technology sector.

Upon opening the menu, I was struck by something intriguing: the menu had sections grouped into geographic breakdowns of dishes in the manner of "Northern Indian," "South" and "East Indian Cuisine." This was something I have not seen before on an Indian restaurant menu.

For starters, the group ordered the Tandoori Scallops appetizer, and the Seekh Kabab appetizer (minced lamb rolls). The scallops were medium-sized morsels, and most-importantly – not overcooked. The lamb rolls were meaty with a delayed heat response, but not so much heat that it would disrupt the appetite. [NOTE: Forgive me if I have forgotten to list any additional dishes; I did not know I had to make this post.]

We ordered the following dishes for our main dishes:

Tandoori chicken

Tamarind shrimp

Saucy Cubed lamb dish [unknown name]

Saucy Chicken dish [unknown name]

Spinach [unknown name]

Aloo Phoolkopir Dalna [cauliflower and potatoes]

My Tandoori chicken was impressive in the fact that it was not overcooked (dry), tasty, moist, fragrant, and tender. The sauces from the other dishes were a nice treat to pour over the Basmati rice. For cauliflower eaters, the Aloo Phoolkopir Dalna was delicious. The lamb dish was fine with no traces of the negative aroma. I did not care for the spinach dish; it was mushy and too creamy for my taste. Overall, I found the execution of dishes at Passage To India to be very good. I did not find any fault with the meat dishes. On a very minor note, I was still eating from my plate when the server tried to clear my plate. The group did not have dessert. I would definitely recommend Passage to India to friends and colleagues.

My sincere appreciation to “porcupine” (+1) and “rkduggins” (+1).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sorry, Don, a little newbie hazing. We always tell the newbies at $20 Tuesday (and other gatherings) that they have to write the "trip report."

:blink:

And they fall for it every time. But, you've got to admit: the newbies take the task very seriously and do a damn good job of reporting back.

Bump...

This isn't TOO far away, anyone else care to add their name to the list? (Restaurant info here.)

Newcomers welcome and WE won't make you write anything up :(

That might be a good thing. Someone will have to swipe a menu so that they can spell the names (Grover excepted). The food is really good and there is a heck of a LOT of it for not much money. The restaurant is located on Little River Turnpike but behind a bunch of other buildings. I'll try to post the exact location as we get closer.

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAY:

dr.com page

twinsdaddy

grover & Escoffier

NotQuickDraw & agm

Gubeen & ol_ironstomach

I hope to be there. Not familiar with Korean food so hoping for guidance. [edited to remove triple spacing! :( ]

Oegadgib is on the left side of Little River Turnpike on a small side road as you go west on Little River Turnpike. After you pass Fuddruckers you will see a Jerry's on your left. Oegadgib is behind Jerry's and on your right once you turn into that (small) road. Coming from 495, you will pass a car wash on your right. Oegadgib is just beyond the car wash on your right on a small side street just before Jerry's.

The address is: 7331 Little River Trpk, Annandale, VA (and it's not going to do you much good. Maybe we'll just have Goldenticket stand out on the side of the road holding one of those arrow signs... :( . There is generally lots of parking.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I want to kick off a great year of $20 dollar Tuesdays with a trip to A&J in Rockville, Maryland on Tuesday January 22nd at 7:30 PM. A&J is a wonderful restaurant with authentic Chinese cooking. Last time we were here (a year and 1/2 ago) we ate like kings and walked away for something like 16 dollars. While many people frequent A&J, I think the group experience is the way to go. Reply back to this post or PM me directly. If we have a large group, I may need to pre-order items for the group and let the table supplement (like we did last time!). I will update the post if we need to pre-order.

This is a great event to come to if you are new!!!!!!!!

Rides available to/from the metro

Thread is here: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=797

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I want to kick off a great year of $20 dollar Tuesdays with a trip to A&J in Rockville, Maryland on Tuesday January 22nd at 7:30 PM. A&J is a wonderful restaurant with authentic Chinese cooking. Last time we were here (a year and 1/2 ago) we ate like kings and walked away for something like 16 dollars. While many people frequent A&J, I think the group experience is the way to go. Reply back to this post or PM me directly. If we have a large group, I may need to pre-order items for the group and let the table supplement (like we did last time!). I will update the post if we need to pre-order.

This is a great event to come to if you are new!!!!!!!!

Rides available to/from the metro

Thread is here: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=797

I'm in. Potentially +1.