Mrs. B

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAYS:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

A&J Rockville, MD, Tuesday January 22, 7:30 pm

Scott Johnston, uncoordinator

Scott Johnston #1+1

Daniel K

Rkduggins (+1 maybe)

MBK (maybe)

Tweaked

StephenB

Silent Bob (maybe)

SShorter

I want to kick off a great year of $20 dollar Tuesdays with a trip to A&J in Rockville, Maryland on Tuesday January 22nd at 7:30 PM. A&J is a wonderful restaurant with authentic Chinese cooking. Last time we were here (a year and 1/2 ago) we ate like kings and walked away for something like 16 dollars. While many people frequent A&J, I think the group experience is the way to go. Reply back to this post or PM me directly. If we have a large group, I may need to pre-order items for the group and let the table supplement (like we did last time!). I will update the post if we need to pre-order.

This is a great event to come to if you are new!!!!!!!!

Rides available to/from the metro

Thread is here: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=797

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAY:

Anyone who wants to join is always welcome! Post here or PM me or the coordinator to get on the list.

A&J Rockville, MD, Tuesday January 22, 7:30 pm

Scott Johnston, coordinator

Scott Johnston +1

Daniel K +1

rkduggins (+1 maybe)

MBK (maybe)

Tweaked

StephenB

silentbob (maybe)

sshorter

deangold

goldenticket

I want to kick off a great year of $20 dollar Tuesdays with a trip to A&J in Rockville, Maryland on Tuesday January 22nd at 7:30 PM. A&J is a wonderful restaurant with authentic Chinese cooking. Last time we were here (a year and 1/2 ago) we ate like kings and walked away for something like 16 dollars. While many people frequent A&J, I think the group experience is the way to go. Reply back to this post or PM me directly. If we have a large group, I may need to pre-order items for the group and let the table supplement (like we did last time!). I will update the post if we need to pre-order.

This is a great event to come to if you are new!!!!!!!!

Rides available to/from the metro

Thread is here: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=797

A&J Tonight!

Looks like we will have a table for 12 (always room for more if you want to join us). I will reserve a table under my name (Scott). I think we can order off the menu as people arrive and serve food family style. Please call my cell or PM if you need directions, have a change in plans, want to buy dinner for me, etc. etc. I should be at A&J by 7:15 pm.

Please remember to bring cash!

Scott 703-282-0819

Sorry I missed it (and didn't tell anyone I wasn't coming) I was bedridden with the office flu that has been making the rounds at work :-(. Seriously people if you are sick, don't come to work and give me your germs...that's why we have sick days! GRRRRRRRR :mellow:

Pick a date, and I recommend coordinating with Grover so someone can help us order well!
Well, speaking for Grover (as I do sometimes), we're always interested in going to Gamasot whether it's a Tuesday or a Friday. Set a date and we'll happily show up and help you explore the menu. There is a lot of really good food on that menu. (By the way, the sausage panchan was Soon-dae which is a favorite).

I don't know the name of red spicy one, what the item in the cup is Mul kimchi (water kimchi) and Muk is the jello like substance with soy dressing.
and the one that looks like dark or black sausage is Soon-dae, one of my personal favorites. You eat it by lightly dabbing it in the salt/red pepper that is placed on the table...

Make it the 19th and I will come.
Well, did we make up our minds or what? I don't really know anything about $20 Tuesdays except for just showing up for a couple. How do we reach consensus? Do we make arrangements with the restaurant in advance? What?

Well, did we make up our minds or what? I don't really know anything about $20 Tuesdays except for just showing up for a couple. How do we reach consensus? Do we make arrangements with the restaurant in advance? What?

There isn't an official process. I'm nominating you as the coordinator for this one :mellow: , so you just pick a date.

Since there doesn't seem to be a strong preference for either day, just pick your preferred date. All you have to do after that is coordinate with the restaurant for a reservation. And since this is Korean food, if the group gets real large and we need to set a menu, then you PM Grover. :)

There isn't an official process. I'm nominating you as the coordinator for this one :mellow: , so you just pick a date.
Congratulations on your new position.

Since there doesn't seem to be a strong preference for either day, just pick your preferred date. All you have to do after that is coordinate with the restaurant for a reservation. And since this is Korean food, if the group gets real large and we need to set a menu, then you PM Grover. :)
We're in and will help you out if you need it. Gamasot is one of my favorite restaurants and we'll go there anytime you decide.

I will be more than happy to work with the restaurant but really don't want to have to pick a day. There's one vote for the 19th, one for the 26th. Can the person who voted for the 19th make it on the 26th, or not? Can the person who voted for the 26th make it on the 19th, or not? I don't want to arbitrarily exclude anybody. If the dates don't work for one or the other, why not kick it out another week?

I am the person for the 19th, . I can not make it on the week of the 26th. The following Tuesday (March 4th) is bad, however I can make the 3,5 or 6th of march

I will be more than happy to work with the restaurant but really don't want to have to pick a day. There's one vote for the 19th, one for the 26th. Can the person who voted for the 19th make it on the 26th, or not? Can the person who voted for the 26th make it on the 19th, or not? I don't want to arbitrarily exclude anybody. If the dates don't work for one or the other, why not kick it out another week?

Anybody object to having $20 Tuesday on a date other than a Tuesday?
It's been done before and the "Tuesday" in the title is just a catchy name. (there's a post somewhere that says they don't have to be on Tuesdays but I can't be bothered to read through the many pages on this thread to find it :mellow: ) As the designated 'coordinator' you're in charge. Pick a date - I'm sure you'll have takers.

(Hope I can make it, but I've got some travel coming up so it will depend on the date).

UPCOMING $20 TUESDAY WEDNESDAY:

Gamasot, Springfield, VA, Wednesday March 5, 7:00 pm, website

Ilaine, coordinator

(I put everyone who expressed interest on the list, so let me know if you can't make it)

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK

goldenticket

Escoffier

grover

eating out

ScotteeM

TheMatt

StephenB

I went to Gamasot for lunch Friday, and had the something yang seul leung tang (spelling approximate). Was served a plethora of little dishes which I could not identify as well as the soup, which was tasty. I don't think the white color was from milk, just bones. Since I gave up milk, appreciated the calcium. It stayed very hot forever, and I was almost late coming back from lunch.

The place is very clean, which I like, and the staff polite and attentive, ditto.

As I understand it, Grover will contact the establishment and make reservations? So we need a head count? And I would like to request that we don't get the short little tables that require sitting on the floor. My knees won't make it.

Was served a plethora of little dishes which I could not identify as well as the soup, which was tasty.
Welcome to the wonderful world of panchan (or banchan if you prefer). Always kimchi and radish, sometimes cucumber, sometimes zucchini and 4 pieces of Soondae which is one of my favorite Korean foods. There are restaurants in Korea that specialize in Soondae only. Panchan is always served with Korean food.
I don't think the white color was from milk, just bones. Since I gave up milk, appreciated the calcium. It stayed very hot forever, and I was almost late coming back from lunch.
That's correct, there is no milk in Seul Long Tang, the color is strictly from beef bone. The bowl does a wonderful job of keeping the soup hot. I hope you added the rice which comes with it. That way you can eat the rice while you wait for the soup to cool.

The place is very clean, which I like, and the staff polite and attentive, ditto.
They've dealt with me a lot and they're still attentive and polite...(they have a fairly large American clientele so they're used to our strange ways).

As I understand it, Grover will contact the establishment and make reservations? So we need a head count? And I would like to request that we don't get the short little tables that require sitting on the floor. My knees won't make it.
Unfortunately, I will be in Ottawa but Grover should be available and happy to make the arrangements. You won't get the normal Korean tables, they put the tables along the side together for large groups (unless you're Korean). Don't worry, you'll be in a chair and eating from a "normal" type table.

I stopped by there yesterday to buy kimchi and made a reservation for 10 of us at the right hand side corner, which is, two tables with chairs not in the room. You can ask them where dr.com's table is.
Thank you so much, Grover. I am really looking forward to it. My son will be home on spring break, so add him to the head count, please.

Ilaine +1, coordinator

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK

goldenticket

grover

eating out

ScotteeM

TheMatt

StephenB

Anybody who needs a ride from the Springield/Franconia metro, let me know. I have a minivan and I am not afraid to use it. :mellow:

Ilaine +1, coordinator

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK

goldenticket

grover

eating out

ScotteeM

TheMatt

StephenB

We've got 13 for this week - who wants to "host" the next event?

Ilaine +1, coordinator

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK (+1 ?)

goldenticket

grover

eating out (+1 ?)

ScotteeM (?)

TheMatt

StephenB

Red +2

I hope you don't mind the question, but I'm a first-time $20 Tuesday/Wednesday person (and a fair newbie to the board), and so I was wondering how exactly these dinners works. Do people just try to stay under $20? Do you just bring $20? Is it just a title?

Sorry to ask what is probably a FAQ, but 26 pages is a bit of a slog to read through. Plus, I've been bitten before at group dinners since I'm a guy who drinks water or tea at meals, but have often had to subsidize people who enjoy cocktails and wine when it's time to split the check.

Generally a $20 dollar event means that the cost of the food is less than $20 dollars before tax, drinks and gratuity. If the cost will be more than $20, the organizer will let people know. Generally the food is separate from the drinks and everyone is good about splitting the food evenly (we generally eat family style) and then paying for drinks separately. Lots of people drink water and tea. No subsidizes here. Plesae bring cash, makes everything easiler, and is often mandated by the resturant.

Looking forward to meeting you at Gammasot, where the dinner will be less than $20 bucks.

Ilaine +1, coordinator

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK (+1 ?)

goldenticket

grover

eating out

ScotteeM

TheMatt

StephenB

Red +1

I'd like to add a tentative +1 please. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Ilaine +1, coordinator

Scott Johnston

cucas87

DanielK (+1 ?)

goldenticket

grover

eating out (+1 ?)

ScotteeM

TheMatt

StephenB

Red +1

I have been looking forward to this event ever since it was announced. Actually, I've been watching this thread for a Gamasot dinner to be organized! But my life has taken an unexpected turn in the last 3 weeks, and I don't know now if I will be able to attend tomorrow night. If it would be easier for the restaurant, I'll cancel now. Otherwise, if I can decide tomorrow afternoon, depending on work events, then there's a slim chance I'd make it.

What to do?