Thai Cooking Class

porcupine

Thai cooking by donrockwell.com's very own Fishinnards. The date has been set: Friday, March 16. Sometime in the evening, exact time tbd. At maison Miller in Cabin John. We can take four more people. To be fair we'll do it by lottery. Please post here to get on the list. If all goes well and fishinnards is willing, I'm willing to host a second time a few weeks later. Be prepared to bring cash to cover cost of ingredients and the necessary beer. More details later.

eta: we will start at 6:30.

OK, the results are:

1. lperry

2. cucas87

3. hillvalley

4. kmango

5. Scott Johnston

6. goldenticket

7. Lydia R

8. Biscuit Girl

9. Darkstar965

So, numbers 1-4 are in. If someone cancels, #5 (Scott) is in. Etc.

Fishinnards has agreed that we can invite +1s to join us for the eating part. Seriously, my kitchen is NOT spacious enough to have another six people trying to have a look. Your +1s are welcome and I will open up the bar, provide snacks, turn on the TV and hide the dog, and they can socialize. Or they can show up later just for chow. Either way be sure to let us know so we can buy enough food!

Please remember to bring cash to cover the cost of ingredients that Fishinnards will be bringing.

If you have to cancel please do so asap so we can invite the next person on the list.

Incredible. Thank you, thank you, thank you, FishInnards, Porcupine, Mr. Porcupine and Zora, and all of my fellow attendees. Last night was a wonderful night. I am excited to try to recreate some of last night's wonderful dishes at home.

That was fun. I was a little distracted and didn't take many photos, but here's what I got.

Ingredient explosion,

6843694248_fdf02cdd50.jpg

Ingredients for tom yum hed

6843694628_7e32d3c146.jpg

Green curry paste we made,

6843694794_edb345968a.jpg

The dinner table, green curry with chicken, bamboo and Thai eggplant (gaeng keow wan gai), pork with garlic and white pepper (mu tord gratiem prik thai),

6989819159_8b6d5d7dc9.jpg

roasted chili sauce with Thai mackerel and vegetables (nam prik pla too),

6843695768_ac9b272d13.jpg

Mushroom tom yum (tom yum hed), and green mango salad (yum mamuang)

6843695578_20dd096b39.jpg

Everyone was a good sport about eating Thai style. For desert we made kanom mok geang, curry pot custard with sweet potatoes, coconut milk, duck eggs, palm sugar, and fried shallots. Porcupine made fabulous Meyer lemon ice cream as well.

These pictures, humble as they may seem, give some, small glimpse into the kinship and spirit that must have permeated this wonderful evening. Thank you, Fishinnards, for posting them. Can't say I suffered over at Pizzeria Orso, but wow ...

What was in the green curry sauce? I often wonder what the ingredients are in the green/red pastes/sauces that make the rounds into so very many plug-and-play chicken/beef/pork/shrimp/tofu dishes on Thai menus.

With the cooking talent assembled at this dinner, this must have been one heck of a fine evening. I wish I'd been there.

Cheers,

Rocks

PS It seems like the demand for events is on the rise. NOTHING would make me happier than if I could pitch in and act as a (forgive me, not just for the four a's in a row I just typed, but for the following) "pitch"man for any future events. Seeing people get together here makes me happier than anything, and I want to help - I don't want to run the show because that looks like being bossy; I want to be a worker bee and take orders from the project leader. Someone please tell me what I can do to help any given project succeed.

What was in the green curry sauce? I often wonder what the ingredients are in the green/red pastes/sauces that make the rounds into so very many plug-and-play chicken/beef/pork/shrimp/tofu dishes on Thai menus.

Most restaurants (and Thai home cooks for that matter) use premade curry paste from a can. There is nothing wrong with that, as it is difficult to find all the fresh ingredients in this climate. Good cooks doctor the paste with some fresh ingredients. Here is what you need to make it from scratch.

Gaeng kiew wan (green curry) (chicken, bamboo, Thai eggplant)

Ingredients:

Curry paste:

Pinch roasted coriander seeds

Pinch of roasted cumin seeds

Pinch of mace

10 white peppercorns

10-20 green prik ee nu chillies

1 prik chee fah chilli

pinch of salt

2 Tbs. chopped shallots

2 Tbs, chopped garlic

1 ½ Tbs. chopped lemongrass

2 tsp. chopped galangal (Kha)

½ tsp. chopped kaffir lime zest

1 tsp. cleaned and chopped coriander root (or 2 tsp. chopped stems)

½ tsp. chopped fresh turmeric

½ tsp. fermented shrimp paste (kapi)

basil seeds and buds (from basil below, optional)

If this were a fish curry, the paste would also include krachai

1 can coconut milk separated

water and stock as required (2-3 cups)

1 stalk lemongrass, cut in 2” pieces and bruised (optional)

2-3 kaffir lime leaves, torn

2 prik chee fah chillies (red or green), sliced on the bias

2 prik ee nu chillies, pounded

8 oz fresh bamboo shoot (cleaned and boiled), sliced

8 oz. Thai eggplant, quartered

8 oz chicken thigh meat, cut into bite sized pieces

handful of Thai basil leaves

Fish Sauce

The meal was comparable to Little Serow in the variety of nontraditional dishes and the knowledge about the food presented. The chilli mackerel, pork, and the sweet potato custard topped with fried shallots were my favorite.

The meal differed from Little Serow in that in the final cooking preparations Zora pointed out that the women were relaxing around the table with fantastic G&Ts while the men were in the kitchen cooking.

The meal differed from Little Serow in that in the final cooking preparations Zora pointed out that the women were relaxing around the table with fantastic G&Ts while the men were in the kitchen cooking.

I have not been to L.S. but that experience of all the women sitting around the table waiting for the men to serve the food was a "dining Sadie Hawkins Day" experience that I don't expect will be repeated in a home dinner situation in my life ever again.

It really was fun--the prep time took about four hours for this meal, so we had plenty of time to drink (beer, prosecco, g&ts), chat and get to know each other, nibble on amazing spiced nuts provided by our hostess, as well as assist with the slicing, chopping, pounding and stirring.

porcupine and mr. porcupine are wonderfully generous hosts who enjoy entertaining, and at the end of the evening, even with a major cleanup ahead, indicated that they would like to do this again. I'm pretty sure that fishinnards is up for it--he seems to really love spreading the gospel of authentic Thai-style dining. So we will do this again. That's a promise.