Anniversary Dinner in Alexandria / DC

ohstate

I've can't seem to make up my mind about where to go for our 20th next week. Probably too late to get into lots of places. My husband eats just about everything (except urchin), but I am not the least adventurous in my dining choices, which makes any tasting room menu look like a exercise in not eating for me (most waiters in the restaurants we frequent know what I will order when I walk in). Prefer Alexandria or DC (proximity to work/home). Ok, so I'm picky, won't drive long distances, late to make reservations and adverse to anything trendy, but still want a nice anniversary experience. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

What about Restaurant Eve? They have lovely food, much of it simple with wonderful ingredients? Or Vermillion?

In DC I think Palena would be wonderful. They have safe and not so safe choices. Fiola might also be enjoyable, they make something as simple as pasta with egg, pepper and some sheeps milk cheese wonderful, although it can be a little loud sometimes (the tables up by the bar aren't). Marcel's might also be an option if they have availability depending on the menu choices right now.

I recommend Vermillion. Mr. MV and I ate there shortly after POTUS and FLOTUS on Valentine's Day. It was a wonderful meal and we felt just as special.

You can reserve on Open Table or perhaps call and ask for one of the upstairs tables by a window so you can dine overlooking King St.

Happy Anniversary!

I'm looking at the Marcel's menu, wondering if it is only a tasting menu. It says that any of the tasting menu items can be ordered as an appetizer and main. So it appears I could order and appetizer and main from the tasting menu. I rarely eat 2 courses, much less 4 when we are out to eat. How's the bartender by the way? I've recently had to give up wine, so mixed drinks only for me.

Vermillion is interesting as well, in that it is a tad more casual and we can walk there. Eve's menu is a little too funky for me. I guess there is always the steak, but that's kind of boring.

Thanks all for the quick advice!

You can pick and choose as you like at Marcel's. They'll help you assemble as much or as little as you want. Portions aren't huge, but a lot of it is quite rich, so a little goes a long way.

P.S. The boudoin blanc should not be missed.

I went into Marcel's before the Repeal Day Ball and ordered boudin blanc as a main, by itself, however much it is. Gorgeous. What I love about Marcel's is if you give any indication that you are willing to be pampered, they do it. I've never experience better service anywhere in the USA where I'm not a friend of the house, and I've only ever eaten at the bar.