Sign in to follow this  
MMM

Dry Lambrusco

I'm looking for a dry Lambrusco to serve with an Emilia-Romagnan antipasti platter. Any suggestions for good ones and where to purchase?

I'm looking for a dry Lambrusco to serve with an Emilia-Romagnan antipasti platter.   Any suggestions for good ones and where to purchase?

For the life of me, I can't think of one.

There are certainly some to be had in our marketplace, but I can't think of any labels. We don't carry one - we simply haven't had any demand for one.

I'm on the trail of the Cleto Chiarli Lambrusco and a Kysela import. Thanks for the replies. Will report on how my hunt turns out. Molly

Following this suggestion, I contacted Beth Wolfe at Siena who steered me to The Italian Store on Lee Highway in Arlington where I found 3 different Chiarli Lambruscos and one other. So at least I'm ready for the antipasto course of our "Splendid Table" dinner on New Year's Eve. :) And, by the way, The Italian Store has a very interesting selection of Italian wines to peruse.

---

The Italian Store (Joe Riley)

I cannot vouch for its taste or quality, but I saw an inexpensive Lambrusco at Trader Joe's in West End today.

Two Lira Luigi?

Two Lira Luigi?

I thought that was an Irish lullaby? Oh, wait, I'm thinking of Tura Lura Lural. My apologies to Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald. :(

Eleven years after the last post in this thread, is dry lambrusco any easier to find? I'd like to pair some this weekend with some cheese I received from my gift subscription to Murray's (per Murray's suggestion). I see references above to the Italian Store and Trader Joe's, neither of which is an option for me since I live in Maryland and am not looking to drive all over creation. Would any old liquor store likely have it? What about a Montgomery County liquor store? There's a Total Wine in Laurel that appears to have it from looking at the Total Wine website, but even that would be pretty far out of my way.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

(I'm just remembering that the first time I ever had lambrusco was at 2 Amy's 9 years ago. Until that day I'd never heard of red wine WITH BUBBLES.)

Fallsgrove Montgomery County Liquor store has some.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I bought some around Thanksgiving from Rodman's (upper Wisconsin Ave. DC).  I'd call them to check.  I also looked then at Total in Laurel and that was a bust.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, MMM said:

Fallsgrove Montgomery County Liquor store has some.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I bought some around Thanksgiving from Rodman's (upper Wisconsin Ave. DC).  I'd call them to check.  I also looked then at Total in Laurel and that was a bust.

Thanks! My husband picked some up for me at the Fallsgrove Montgomery County liquor store, and I greatly enjoyed it. He also grabbed some Riunite since it was such a good price. 😂 (We're returning the Riunite.)

Since we were going to be in Columbia today I called a bunch of liquor stores there, and no one had dry lambrusco. And you're right -- Total Wine in Laurel didn't have it, either. So, to answer my own question a couple of posts up, dry lambrusco isn't any easier to find 11 years later.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, dracisk said:

Eleven years after the last post in this thread, is dry lambrusco any easier to find? I'd like to pair some this weekend with some cheese I received from my gift subscription to Murray's (per Murray's suggestion). I see references above to the Italian Store and Trader Joe's, neither of which is an option for me since I live in Maryland and am not looking to drive all over creation. Would any old liquor store likely have it? What about a Montgomery County liquor store? There's a Total Wine in Laurel that appears to have it from looking at the Total Wine website, but even that would be pretty far out of my way.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

(I'm just remembering that the first time I ever had lambrusco was at 2 Amy's 9 years ago. Until that day I'd never heard of red wine WITH BUBBLES.)

There are several Lambrusco DOCs in Emilia-Romagna - the ones you want (these words should be somewhere on the front or back labels) are "Lambrusco Salamina di Santa Croce" and "Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro." These are the most stolid, or perhaps "serious," of the various DOC Lambruscos.

Dave McIntyre included a Grasparossa in one of his columns a year ago, along with places to find it. I just spoke with Doug Rosen at Arrowine a couple of days ago - the wine is imported by Bacchus, and Arrowine is listed as one of the places to find it (this is for people near Arlington) - if Arrowine has any Lambrusco, it's probably one of these two AOCs.

---

James Manis was the actor who played "Aldo Cella" (there was no Aldo Cella in real life). Back in the early 1980s, at a, believe it or not, Clemson football game, Manis came out at halftime, and spoofed his own character: He was introduced as, "the brother of Aldo Cella, Dildo Cella," before he started running around, diving onto Slip and Slides, etc. It was so silly (at the time, I had no idea Aldo Cella didn't exist, and I wasn't sure if this was Aldo, or if he actually had a brother, or what the heck was going on - I was thinking, 'Wow, this guy is pretty old to be running around and diving like this'; nope, it was James Manis, slipping and sliding in-and-out of character). 

• Like 1

The dry lambrusco for sale at the MoCo liquor store near-ish me was Venturini Baldini Quaranta Lambrusco Grasparossa. I enjoyed it!