Cooking Ethiopian at Home?

Tweaked

I have cooked Ethiopian at home, but I buy the injeera and berebere. I have some recipes from a locally produced Ethiopian cookbook. What (wat) dishes did you want to make?

That's what I do as well. My recipes (with the exception of a few from a Samuelsson cookbook) are all from online sources but a variety of them. I don't know that there's a particular one I'd recommend.

ETA: This is one site that's stayed up that I have referred to a number of times.

ETA: This is one site that's stayed up that I have referred to a number of times.

Those look really close to the ones I have. One the weird thing about making wat is that a large amount of onions are browned in pan with no oil. You toast them and keep adding water to keep them from sticking. You add the fat (butter or oil depending on the dish) after the onions are brown. It takes a while, but results in a unique flavor that's different from browning the onions in fat, like for north Indian food.

I've cooked the potatoes, cabbage and carrot dish, the collards, and several lentil stews all using conglomerations of various recipes on the web. The basic ingredients are the same in almost every recipe, so it is usually a matter of tweaking things until you get the spices how you like them. I was surprised how basic most of the cooking is - it's the spice mixtures that make the unique flavors.