Hake

DonRocks

I'm really enjoying this fish lately as an inexpensive alternative to cod or haddock. I saw it at Whole Foods Falls Church yesterday marked down from $9.99 to $7.99 a pound - and you know what I did? I bought 1.49 pounds of the stuff, brushed it with olive oil, ground some salt and pepper on it, baked it for fifteen minutes or so, and had a hake-out (much like a pig-out, except with hake instead of pig). This was pretty much an all-you-can-eat meal of fresh fish for about $12.

Note that Ferhat is also serving hake as his "fish sticks" over at Fishnet.

Also, in case anyone doesn't know, it rhymes with "bake" (as opposed to the Japanese rice-wine drink "sake") - I know it's a weird name, but that's what it is.

do you really expect any of us to believe that you cooked last night? <_<

You took the words right out of my mouth. :o

It was just an appetizer. He still went out for dinner.

Word! I'd gone out earlier for breakfast, and I just had so much to do. I needed coffee, cream, etc., for the morning, so went to Whole Foods and ended up dropping a Franklin. The thought of good, fresh fish was just too much for me to overcome. I was aching for home-cooked food, and even though it was a barbarically simple dinner, boy oh boy did I enjoy it.

If so inclined again, here's the skinny on hake at Monterey Bay Seafood Watch; Whole Foods is not as scrupulous about sustainability issues as one might think. MBSW must have a phone app by now.

Okay, thanks. I think it was marked "yellow" (whatever that means) and was definitely wild-caught. I need to educate myself more about these things if I'm going to be considered to be in any position of responsibility or influence.

Note that Ferhat is also serving hake as his "fish sticks" over at Fishnet.

Hake is the star of Fishnet IMHO. The ridiculously named (but wonderfully priced and big-time delicious) "fish sticks" and for sandwiches. I get both most every time there.

And, ah, merlu-tha :P memories of Espana.

If so inclined again, here's the skinny on hake at Monterey Bay Seafood Watch; Whole Foods is not as scrupulous about sustainability issues as one might think. MBSW must have a phone app by now.

They do. Look for "Seafood Watch." It is fairly slick and can use your location to tailor the provided information. It even has the option for you to recommend restaurants as offering good sustainable seafood.

http://www.blueocean.org/seafood/seafood-view?spc_id=270

Also a yellow score from Blue Ocean which gives a breakdown of why it gets The score it gets. Big hit for abundance which is not as big an issue for Northern caught hake, and for fishing methods which tend to be trawled. The large fleet fishers of the northern waters are not very into the spirit of sustainable and I don't think their management plans are as good as they should be. I am on the fence on using hake.

I would look at Spanish Mackerel and Chesapeake Blue Catfish for great sustainable, local fish right now.