Birthday Dinner - To Bibiana or Not to Bibiana?

lmnop

My husband's birthday is this weekend and we're spending our first night away from our son. I have reservations at the Monaco in Penn Quarter, and dinner reservations at Bibiana, but I'm now second-guessing Bibiana. Is this a good choice? I can't get a good feel reading through the thread, and the online menu isn't working.

For some background: he loves Italian. Usually more Italian-American than anything else, but it's definitely his favorite type of food. I would like some type of romantic ambiance given that nights out are few and far between lately. I'm also a vegetarian while he is decidedly not. Some other special-occasion restaurants we have enjoyed are Vermilion, Ardeo, The Oval Room and Proof. I know it's late in the game, but are there better choices I'm overlooking?

I've eaten at Bibiana multiple times and with the exception of a single dish on one occasion, have pretty much loved everything I've eaten there. They have a pretty wide selection of interesting items suited to many tastes, I think, and if I recall there are vegetarian options (certainly at least among the pastas).

I'm not sure I would describe the dining room as romantic, but...there is a small semi-private area separated from the rest of the dining room by a curtain. Ask if you can get a table in there.

We are extremely fortunate to have Bibiana, Fiola and Elisir available to us. Fiola is a remarkable restaurant, perhaps also D. C.'s "hottest" restaurant right now. Fabio is a truly gifted chef with a number of dishes that are equal to any in America. Serious. The negative is that for a "softer" celebratory evening it may not be the first choice. I would give special attention to Enzo's Elisir, especially his ten course prix fixe @ $95 which despite it's price is an incredible value. This is a restaurant well suited to a birthday. http://elisirrestaur...gMenusFinal.pdf I should note there are several dishes on the ten course that are not available either a la carte or the shorter tasting menu. (i.e. saffron fagotti filled with liquid black truffle, branzino carpaccio in a cigar box) This may seem like a lot but it is truly exceptional.

the online menu isn't working.

I love the message you get when you try pull up their menu: "0 Results finded"

Anyway, I dined at Bibiana just two weeks ago, and I'll add my voice to the chorus of praise. You certainly won't find Italian-American food there, though, if that's at all important. But the food they do serve is superb, the service is gracious and smooth, and the place has a special-occasion feel without being grand or intimidating.

I started reading this thread because I am heading to Bibiana for dinner tonight. I had no idea what I was in for. I'll be sure not to drop any names...at least intentionally. But if anyone in the restaurant overhears me discussing this thread- because I am sure I will be- I cannot be held responsible.

as this discussion was winding down, we were heading to Bibiana for dinner. I particularly liked the bread filled with bits of potato, the spaghetti with crab (which is somewhat of a no-brainer), and the baked chocolate mousse. A sleeper dish was the ravioli with romano cheese. Someone in our party was trying to keep it simple but this dish was packed with flavor.

Thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

as this discussion was winding down, we were heading to Bibiana for dinner. I particularly liked the bread filled with bits of potato, the spaghetti with crab (which is somewhat of a no-brainer), and the baked chocolate mousse. A sleeper dish was the ravioli with romano cheese. Someone in our party was trying to keep it simple but this dish was packed with flavor.

Thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

OK, I'm intrigued. How is this different from chocolate souffle?