Arlington Desserts

adjen

Anyone have a recommendation for a favorite place to go just for dessert (or maybe dessert and a drink) in Arlington?

Assuming The Dairy Godmother is out of range, there's Bayou Bakery, and I suspect you'll find something good at the bar at either Liberty Tavern, Eventide, or their other places. You know, as I'm sitting here typing this, I'm thinking to myself, 'this is a damned tough question considering I live in Arlington.' You could probably walk into Layalina and get something wonderful, or maybe there's something at Samuel Beckett's in Shirlington. Man, I hate to throw in the towel on my home turf, but I kind of don't really know! :(

To answer a question like this, it actually takes someone recently having had a wonderful dessert in Arlington, and that sort of leaves me out of the picture, quite honestly.

When do you need an answer? I'm not giving up this easy, dammit, but I need some time.

That is a tough one. I would take Don's advice and head to Liberty Tavern or perhaps Lyon Hall. (or even Northside Social, though it may not have the ambiance you are looking for) Bayou would be a good choice as well. I guess another option would be Buzz in Ballston, or Rustico (the ricotta fritters are pretty good and you can get some fine beer on draft). Good luck!

Cafe Assorti has a bakery and a bar. I am not big on dessert, but this might do the trick. Closes at 9 on Sundays and 10 the rest of the week.

Northside Social also has sweets and drinks. I would call ahead to make sure dessert is still available.

I am also sure they could hook you up with dessert at the bar at Willow. Drinks, too. Upon reflection, this is where I would go.

Some good answers so far via Twitter:

@GeoffBurr "The chocolate bread pudding at Restaurant 3 is awesome. Sadly, it's the only truly exiting thing there."

@jstrelitz "Def @WillowVA & you can get it all to-go"

@baerwitness "Leonora bakery is great"

@ThriftyDCCook "Buzz bakery or Willow in Ballston."

Add mine as a third vote for Willow, with Bayou Bakery as a good casual option. I would also imagine (but can't confirm) that Talulla might have some nice offerings from Tiffany MacIsaac ... which brings Buzz/Rustico in Ballston to mind.

PS - Don, The Dairy Godmother, while a great option, is in Alexandria ;)

Boccato has good gelato and coffee, just to chime in, but good recs above. And if you forego the alcohol you could also get a cupcake and beverage at Bakeshop (and wander next door to get some chocolates from Artisan Confections).

I am surprised Don didn't mention his VERY favorite place: The Cheesecake Factory!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. We ended up venturing into DC and found ourselves at Acadiana for no particular reason. (had the bread pudding, which had a nice spongy texture and was moist, though under sauced for my taste -- I did love the salty/sweet popcorn crunch sprinkled on top for texture contrast. Also had a tasty drink with (I think) white pepper gin, beet juice, ginger syrup,and lime juice. I know it doesn't go with the dessert, but I wanted both things . . . . Back on the Arlington front, Willow is a usual go-to place for us, especially for desserts, and we're at Bayou Bakery many weekend mornings (sweet potato muffin, banana choc chip muffin, beignets, biscuits, and a shmear of pimento cheese). Have also enjoyed the desserts at screwtop with some Va. sparkling wine.

Northside Social has terrific baked goods (sigh . . . that may have to be my post-Passover stop). Every dessert I've had there has been luscious.

And I agree about Willow and Bayou having great desserts. I expected great things from Tallula but the two desserts we tried there the last time I went were not to my taste (the Fat Elvis waffle sounded wonderful but all the different parts didn't work together for me, and the bacon wasn't working for me, though I've had bacon in desserts that I liked. I think it needed something moister, saucier to pull it all together. the roasted bananas were the best thing on that plate.).