porcupine

Now that duck eggs are back at the Dupont market, I'm hoping they'll be the Next Big Thing. They taste like chicken eggs, but are a little richer and seem to have a higher yolk-to-white ratio. I love them as the main ingredient in light dinner dishes. Had one in a Burmese dish once by luck (long story) and would love to have a recipe.

Anyone else out there cooking with duck eggs? Any interesting recipes?

Duck eggs are so special and the yolks are so wonderfully creamy, I have a difficult time doing anything that subsumes those qualities. I make them fried or poached. They are great poached on top of a frisee salad with bacon lardons, in the classic bistro dish. but we usually have them for breakfast.

They are great poached on top of a frisee salad with bacon lardons, in the classic bistro dish.

That was going to be dinner last night, but the co-op didn't have frisee, so it was spinach and mushroom salad with duck egg instead.

Which vendor had these? I want some.

um, last year I think he was on the north end of 20th St. This year I'm not sure; a friend got them for me this past Sunday. Probably Anna Blume would know.

Which vendor had these? I want some.

His name is Tom and he's had a hand in Maryland legislation for eggs, so very knowledgeable. White hair. Smokes despite doctors' orders. Business name: Waterview. There's a Daffy Duck doll on top of his table, yes, at the north end of Dupont Circle, on 20th Street, north of Q St. Neighbors include Endless Summer, Compost Cab, Red Apron, Quaker Valley.

I've only made deviled eggs with my duck eggs, but I really like adding them my ramen or bibimbop for a richer eggy flavor, so I will sometimes add them to those. I also like them hard boiled with my congee, but I think that is because I grew up with the salty-preserved duck eggs...

(Do they sell them at WF anymore? They used to...)

I saw packages of salted duck egg yolks today at Great Wall. It was maybe 10 yolks for $5.99. Are they for congee?

No, those are using used to make a Chinese pastry that has a yolk in the middle of chosen fillings. It's pretty good when made right.

There's a strange (cool) little grocery store/sandwich shop next to Al Dente on New Mexico Ave NW that sells duck eggs (along with a bunch of unusal stuff like aligator meat)......just found the name: Wagshals.  http://www.wagshals.com/newmexicoave.html

Don't know if they have them year round but they did have them last October.

I'm pretty sure many of the large Asian grocery stores sell duck eggs.

I remember the first time I ever saw a duck egg served at a restaurant - it was about ten years ago in Corduroy's duck egg and leg salad, and it was so novel; now, they're starting to become something of a fad, although they have a ways to go before making the Trite Food List.