Thank You Don Rockwell

porcupine

Last night dr.com member Fishinnards held a little Thai cooking class for a few members of this website, and of course everyone left saying "thank you" to everyone else for the contributions. But really, Don deserves our thanks more than anyone, for making this all possible. Not only is this website one of the greatest internet resources, but we've built a community here, one where we can trust an anonymous member to come into our homes and take over our kitchens. One where we can make new friends on a whim. That is no small thing, at least not for me. Being a member here has changed my life for the better.

Cheers, Don. and goddamnit, when are you going to accept my challenge and meet me for dinner at 2941?

I agree completely. Don, you allow those of us with a shared passion to connect when we would otherwise never have even met. Last night I found out that two members are within walking distance of my house (!). You give us all an amazing gift, and my life has also been enriched by the experiences that have come from this board.

At the end of my life, there could be two things beside me: On my left, a pile of money; on my right, these two messages. I would be looking at these two messages and not even notice the money.

Thank you.

I also want people here to know that I'm always here for them if they need me.

I agree completely. Don, you allow those of us with a shared passion to connect when we would otherwise never have even met. Last night I found out that two members are within walking distance of my house (!). You give us all an amazing gift, and my life has also been enriched by the experiences that have come from this board.

You speak my mind.

I want to add one more thing, and you can thank me for being wise beyond my years urging everyone to do this:

When my mom passed away last year, she knew full well how much I loved her, so I have no regrets at all in that regard.

But.

The saddest thing is to see all this praise coming in for people when their obituary comes out. Invariably, I think to myself, 'gee, wouldn't that person have rather heard all these nice things a couple days ago?'

So, I'm going to ask everyone reading this to think of one person, alive and well, who, if that person were to drop dead right this second, you would have regrets of the form, "Aaargh, I *wish* I had said or done such-and-such... Now, it's too late."

Do it now, before it's too late. One email, one phone call, one minute, that's all it takes. Do it.

Fabrice Muamba is (happily) going to see all the nice Twitter messages written about him, but he very easily might not have. Take a look at that picture - do you think that couldn't be any one of us?

I, too, am so thankful for the friendships made on this board. Without the people I have met, I would not have survived my rough waters, learned so much more about cooking and imbibes, and have companionship in dining. Thank you, Don, and thank you all.

Without the people I have met, I would not have survived my rough waters,

Yes you would have.

You guys stop selling yourselves short. You are the most incredible people I know, and could get through just about any situation there was to get through.

Trust me on this one,

Rocks

^Life is easier when there is a ring of support with warming energy to help through my rough waters - you all are great lifeboats! I had an uber-tearing up moment yesterday surrounded by beautiful people all afternoon and evening--it made me remember this thread and wanted to share my thanks to the friendships I have made here. Again, what an awesome virtual gathering place we have here.

So we're gone. We left DC for the Midwest. For a variety of reasons but family was at the heart of it. I'd be remiss not to say THANKS!! to Don for creating this family that took us in when we first moved here more than a decade ago. So many of the dearest friends we've made since then have been through this amazing community.

We had multiple "going away" parties and all of them involved people we've met here. Scott and Claudia sent us off in amazing style, and who could forget that mind destroying night at The Passenger (actually, I don't remember much and I blame the Brown brothers and my dr.com compatriots for that). And of course Michael Landrum's cohorts at RtC made sure I would never forget DC.

The point is....none of this would be possible without what Don started. So, thank you Don. You've always got a home in Ann Arbor (though I question why you'd EVER want to visit this foresaken place!). I miss all of you terribly and hope that I can crash the picnics and other gatherings when I get homesick.

Until then, I raise my glass to all of you. We may bicker and differ on various culinary points, but at the end of it, this is a wonderful group of people and Lisa, Spawn and I will miss all of you.

So we're gone. We left DC for the Midwest. For a variety of reasons but family was at the heart of it. I'd be remiss not to say THANKS!! to Don for creating this family that took us in when we first moved here more than a decade ago. So many of the dearest friends we've made since then have been through this amazing community.

We had multiple "going away" parties and all of them involved people we've met here. Scott and Claudia sent us off in amazing style, and who could forget that mind destroying night at The Passenger (actually, I don't remember much and I blame the Brown brothers and my dr.com compatriots for that). And of course Michael Landrum's cohorts at RtC made sure I would never forget DC.

The point is....none of this would be possible without what Don started. So, thank you Don. You've always got a home in Ann Arbor (though I question why you'd EVER want to visit this foresaken place!). I miss all of you terribly and hope that I can crash the picnics and other gatherings when I get homesick.

Until then, I raise my glass to all of you. We may bicker and differ on various culinary points, but at the end of it, this is a wonderful group of people and Lisa, Spawn and I will miss all of you.

Again, every time I think it's not worth it ...

something like this is posted, and it's all worth it. We never got to know each other well enough, Amit, but I'll always consider you a lifelong friend (this reminds me a lot of Andrew (Stretch) who was the first of us to leave the area. I was in Ann Arbor in 2009 - you'll get to know and love (or maybe not love so much) Zimmerman's, at the very least, for drive-thru coffee. I've never seen a restaurant that tried so hard to be "all things to all people" - you'll see what I mean if you haven't already.

And if your family ever comes back to DC and needs a place to stay, please call me - you all might be stuck in a little guest room, but it's yours.

Please keep the Ann Arbor thread alive?