Bar / Tavern in Rockville-Gaithersburg Area

stevep

Hi all -- I would like to find a good bar or tavern in the Rockville or Gaithersburg area -- someplace with an interesting selection of quality liquors at fair prices and competent and imaginative bartenders. If the place served at least acceptable food, that would be a bonus. I thought that Againn Tavern in Rockville met these criteria (they served 2 oz shots of good liquor at a not too exorbitant price) and was hoping that someone could recommend somplace comparable. Great drinks and good hamburgers would be perfect. Thanks very much for any assistance.

Steve

Founding Farmers in Park Potomac has great cocktails, not cheap however, food is meh, and I wouldn't really call it a "tavern." Dogfish Head and Growlers are in Gaithersburg and have great beer selections. Dogfish at least has decent pub grub (haven't tried the food at Growlers). Competent, if not imaginative, bartenders can be found at Clyde's Tower Oaks property - it's standard Clyde's menu, though the oyster program is decent.

Sorry, I have no reccs for "creative". Clyde's is the obvious stereotypical answer, but the area's retaurant strengths tend to lie in non-cocktailing cultures, unless you count daiquiris at long-departed Copeland's, or margaritas at Rio Grande Cafe (Washingtonian Center). Your bar choices tend to be beer and wine...Dogfish Head or Cava in particular, with Roy's Place an eccentric favorite for a pint. La Canela (R'ville Town Center) slings some decent pisco drinks, but the bar area struck me as a bit cramped.

thanks to all for the sugestions. I'll keep looking and report back with anything worthwhile.

Steve

If you're doing a tour, try these:

- JJ Muldoon's, Shady Grove Road

- 44, Kentlands area.

- Bailey's Bar and Grille - near 118/I-270 (Germantown, I spose)

- Hard Times Cafe (aka Magic Cue) 118/Middlebrook

I make no promises on any of these...but there doesn't seem to be any obvious answers either. I believe a combination of zoning/demographics/food laws/alcohol distribution make a really good "bar" as you've described a tough thing to find in MoCo. (note, Growler's would be my first choice and they recently changed up their menu...with more bar fare, including the return of some sausage dishes. Need to return).